Why Chinese electric cars are causing a buzz in Thailand

webfact

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Available in 3 to 5 years...

I think such fast-charging batteries will be available to the mass market in three years,

The person I was replying to said such batteries were unlikely "in the foreseeable future."

3-5 years is definitely foreseeable - and as the article points out, they are already available, just not very widely yet.

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Yes, the less efficient companies would be forced out of the market. I agree. But that is capitalism. 

Well, no. Subsidies are an anticompetitive practice. The idea of undercutting by selling at a loss in order to gain or maintain a monopoly is another aspect of the same principle, not in the public interest and not allowed in regulated capitalism.

14 minutes ago, placnx said:

Well, no. Subsidies are an anticompetitive practice. The idea of undercutting by selling at a loss in order to gain or maintain a monopoly is another aspect of the same principle, not in the public interest and not allowed in regulated capitalism.

Ain't farm crops heavily subsidized in good old USA. Just asking. 

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not so. EV batteries that can charge in 5 minutes have already been produced. They do require higher powered charging devices than used currently - but the batteries themselves are already here.

Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced

When they're in standard production cars and when the massive investment to upgrade the pathetic charging infrastructure currently in place is another question.

11 hours ago, vandeventer said:

So, where are all the charging stations? I would hate to get stuck in traffic half way home and then the batteries die, then have to push it the rest of the way home.

High - Rise  Bangkok is a perfect place to install 100000 new charging stations. We won't even notice a few extra hanging wires........

52 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

When they're in standard production cars and when the massive investment to upgrade the pathetic charging infrastructure currently in place is another question.

thailand needs legislation making it mandatory for all new build residential properties to have have adequate charging points, as happens in other countries. otherwise thailand will, as often happens, find itself well behind the curve

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I expect it isn't a problem to generate enough electricity when you don't mind burning massive amounts of coal.... they could have designed coal burning cars!

The problem may be that Elon isn't a Communist nor a Chinese citizen and selling Telsa's in Thailand has no political advantage for China or Thailand.

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The person I was replying to said such batteries were unlikely "in the foreseeable future."

3-5 years is definitely foreseeable - and as the article points out, they are already available, just not very widely yet.

Possible , but imho doesn't matter . There might be batteries charging in 3 seconds , but all doesn't matter . It is the power going in which is not possible in any near time future . let's say 5 min charge , 50 kWh battery package , which is low to medium grade of the EV now . The electric grid , for 1 single loader , must have a capacity of 600 kW . Thats a huge spike on the grid but possible . But that's the 1 station , take 5 of them , connected to the same HV lines , and the potential is there for a catastrophic failure of the grid .

I was interested in buying an electro car.
The problem is that I can't get any space in the underground car park to install a charging station! It is just a common area and nothing works with a private charging station! Not even if I made it available to other roommates too!
This is possible with various systems via customer cards!
And outside in the Condo Area it doesn't look any different!
COMMON AREA
So it makes no sense to buy an electric car!

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah, the Hindenburg was very bad publicity for hydrogen 555 but being realistic properly designed gas tanks are infinitely more safe than cloth storage bags. People just need to be reminded that they've been driving around in their cars with a tank full of liquid explosive a few feet away for over a hundred years now.

Actually  just remembered hydrogen's combustibiity when we used to do chemical experiments in school n were taught to put a burning flame into the test tube to test for any gas released ..
CO2 was always the one that gives a sense of safety as the flame is always extinguished while O2 supports burning ...
Guess that's where my sense of wariness of H2 stem from ...

22 hours ago, placnx said:

Tesla is making cars themselves, while iPhone is made in China by a Taiwanese company, Foxconn. Perhaps foreign management has a role to play in producing complex quality products in China.

Machines n robots are the ones at play
Its hard to produce anything inferior when everything is automated, especially when you have the latest n the newest gear as China was late to the industrialization game ..
China had been the biggest global importer of industrial robots since the year 2000, they got the best gear from Germany, Japan n else where with lots of these deals coming with tech transfer agreements  .
After about 10 years of experimentation, they were able to combine the best of everything n upgrade to build better versions at lower costs ..
The same thing is happening with High Speed rail n locomotives where they r the biggest users n the most efficient innovator n producer now ...

On 11/29/2021 at 7:17 AM, vandeventer said:

So, where are all the charging stations? I would hate to get stuck in traffic half way home and then the batteries die, then have to push it the rest of the way home.

Wouldn't you ensure that it was charged before you set out?   How many hundreds of miles is your journey home, anyway?

I'm sure that if you were really serious about it you'd check the locations of charging stations with the dealer before you paid the deposit for the car.  There are hundreds of stations throughout Thailand.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:14 AM, hotchilli said:
On 11/29/2021 at 6:37 AM, tonray said:

They opened up a showroom in Central Westgate Mall about two months ago....the Ora GoodCat in Powder Blue does look stunning....know nothing about price or reliability.

Or where to plug it in?

You could ask before you buy!   

On 11/29/2021 at 9:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the Chinese reputation for manufactured products, what sensible person is going to  buy one given the price?

Which Chinese manufactured vehicles have proved to be anything other than at least equal in reliability and good build quality than any other comparable cars?  What sensible person would condemn them without anything empirical to back up his denigration?

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wouldn't you ensure that it was charged before you set out?   How many hundreds of miles is your journey home, anyway?

I'm sure that if you were really serious about it you'd check the locations of charging stations with the dealer before you paid the deposit for the car.  There are hundreds of stations throughout Thailand.

Thanks for the advice but I would not be the only one driving the car. My GF forgets to put petrol in the car  most of the time so finding a charging station might be a challenge for some. I'm sure the tow-truck companies will be making good money if these cars come into play.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:02 AM, IamNoone88 said:

Good luck with 100% electric car for traveling around Thailand with a lack of charging stations. Hybrid's ok. 

Why do you say that there's "a lack of charging stations in Thailand"?   There are hundreds of them.  Why would there be a market for EVs if there weren't places to charge them?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

17 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

I was interested in buying an electro car.
The problem is that I can't get any space in the underground car park to install a charging station!

You're too proud to charge at a public charging station?    Have you installed a petrol pump in your condo or do you still go to a petrol station to fill up?

3 hours ago, relax33 said:

While u were still pondering, this guy had already did it by driving an EV from CM to BKK in dec -19 n u bet he sure isn't the 1st person to do it ..

Road trip from Chiang Mai to Bangkok in MG ZS EV - YouTube

Yes, and when this is not such a remarkable achievement, EVs will perhaps have come of age.  I would fear a road accident or road works causing a 5 km traffic jam on such a trip.

Edited by jacko45k

4 hours ago, relax33 said:

Machines n robots are the ones at play
Its hard to produce anything inferior when everything is automated, especially when you have the latest n the newest gear as China was late to the industrialization game ..
China had been the biggest global importer of industrial robots since the year 2000, they got the best gear from Germany, Japan n else where with lots of these deals coming with tech transfer agreements  .
After about 10 years of experimentation, they were able to combine the best of everything n upgrade to build better versions at lower costs ..
The same thing is happening with High Speed rail n locomotives where they r the biggest users n the most efficient innovator n producer now ...

There were problems a few years ago with a new high speed Chinese train going 350km/hr. I seem to remember that the train was interred under the bridge from where it left the tracks. Thereafter speeds were cut to 300. A while before that France tried out their new TGV on the Strasbourg line and ran it at 575km/hr, just to see capability.

Using robots is one way to try to avoid quality errors, but design also has to be good. Artificial intelligence, perhaps needed? Might be better than fake intelligence.

5 hours ago, relax33 said:

While u were still pondering, this guy had already did it by driving an EV from CM to BKK in dec -19 n u bet he sure isn't the 1st person to do it ..

Road trip from Chiang Mai to Bangkok in MG ZS EV - YouTube

He made  couple vids about DECO motorcycles, and was nice reassurance with my choice to get, after watching his and a few others before buying.  No regrets and would recommend DECO for anyone looking for something to scoot around town on.  

Especially if not ready to invest, a big jump, into EV cars.  We just got a new ICE last year, so not in any hurry, and hopefully in couple years, prices will come down.  The only one I like / EV, is the one in the vid, and we have the ICE version.  Not ready to spend 600k again, just to go EV.  Hard to justify.

Edited by KhunLA

• 2 months later...

A post in which the quoted content had been changed to another language has been removed. Please remember this is an English language forum. 

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.