Soi Nana bars deserted: Thai media doing everything to link and blame Omicron for nighttime woes

webfact

Interesting article but not much truth to it.

Obviously saying what the Government wants to hear or writer not in the know.

If you want to open your bar in Nana area (not gogo) Mr Plod will oblige, just make the stipulated donation. Been like that for a month now when bar owners took it into their own hands.

To the best of my knowledge no bars "prosecuted in lower Sukhumvit & if you think worth opening,

go for it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Answer me this, how come the UK has approx 70000 covid cases a day still, this country now has approx 7000 a day and the UK is pretty much back to normal and we are still in this rut all muzzled up??

You've answered your own question. The UK has opened up and has 10x more cases than Thailand, which hasn't opened up (despite the government saying it has).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RichardL said:

As for masks, I hate wearing them, and I know that the masks most people wear aren't very effective at all in preventing you from picking up the virus. They are more effective (albeit far from perfect) at stopping you spread the virus if you have it.

I'm not sure anyone particularly enjoys wearing them but why wouldn't you want to try and stop the spread of the virus if indeed you did have it ?? ????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

There's been talk for many years that Nana Plaza was to be redeveloped, maybe this will be a catalyst?

(There was talk for about 10 years that Washington Square was to be redeveloped......then it wasn't.......and then it was).

and the soi 7 beergarden has been torn down and redeveloped for decades...according to rumours...yet it is still there...pretty much same same with some different girls

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

you can trust UK's numbers as accurate, you'd be foolish to trust this regime's numbers. they have a lot to hide and a lot of face to save

If you want to look up the official figures you’re going to find countries with the highest vaccination rates are experiencing huge spikes  in infection 

Israel, Germany, Netherlands,England etc.

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

A, UK is mostly vaccinated

B, UK is grown up

C, UK figures are accurate

D, UK is moving on

E, Thailand’s figures are still bs

F, Thailand is run by utter despotic, self-aggrandising nincompoop children

G, The people are easily swayed, cajoled, controlled

UK new cases 3rd Dec were  50k, average 44k.

UK has reintroduced mask wearing and compulsory testing of ALL new arrivals.

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

If you want to look up the official figures you’re going to find countries with the highest vaccination rates are experiencing huge spikes  in infection 

Israel, Germany, Netherlands,England etc.

this spike will without doubt begin in Thailand in the next 2 weeks. A lot depends on how much they can slow down the advent of omicron.\thailand is almost completely out of the wet season (except in the South) and this is a good thing for reducing close or indoor contact and concomitant transmissions.

Edited by Thunglom

14 hours ago, RichardL said:

The UK has much higher vaccination rates, and also a higher tolerance to death numbers. Thailand gets 50 deaths a day, and the nation panics. The UK gets 200 a day, and nobody bats an eyelid.

As for masks, I hate wearing them, and I know that the masks most people wear aren't very effective at all in preventing you from picking up the virus. They are more effective (albeit far from perfect) at stopping you spread the virus if you have it.

There does seem very little point making people wear them outdoors though.

I don't think I'd want to take a holiday anywhere where I have to wear a mask most of the time though. I find it too uncomfortable. It feels 'mildly suffocating', like the annoyance of having a blocked nose. I also don't really like having things on my face/head. I hate wearing hats, even when it's really cold, for example. I have to wear glasses to drive, and it's always a relief to take them off. I can fully understand why nations bring in such restrictions. I'm just against the logic of where they are applied.

You don't like wearing hats!?

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You've answered your own question. The UK has opened up and has 10x more cases than Thailand, which hasn't opened up (despite the government saying it has).

Come on fella. let's get it right. I don't know exact figures of course, but I believe cases in the UK have stayed more or less the same since they reopened?

You also completely missed my point, which was why have the UK decided to live with Covid, like many other countries have, yet we are still cowering behind our sofas and all masked up? But as some have already said this country doesn't have as many vaccinated as some other countries, so fair enough, but have this gov gave a target to open up after a high level of vaccination percentages like Aus and NZ did?? I highly doubt it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Fear of the walking dead. It is working for the goons. They are continuing to use Covid as a cover, to impose draconian restrictions on protestors and they are employing fear and panic as a weapon. 

Yep. Exactly what is going on. In Aus and NZ the gov had a target of around 80% fully vax'd and then they would open up. They reached those targets and have now opened up? Have the Thai gov set any such targets?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Answer me this, how come the UK has approx 70000 covid cases a day still, this country now has approx 7000 a day and the UK is pretty much back to normal and we are still in this rut all muzzled up?? Both countries have similar populations.

Back to normal?

Try looking at the NHS waiting lists or book a doctor's appointment.

People are dying while they wait and it is not from covid.

16 hours ago, sambum said:

Most people in the UK have been vaccinated, so if they catch Covid very few of them are seriously ill, whereas Thailand is still playing "catchup" with its Government's vaccination programme, and ill or not, you are whisked off to hospital - possibly taking up beds that are needed by people who are seriously ill - and not necessarily just Covid. And answer me this - what is the logic behind being required to wear a "muzzle" while riding a motor bike ?

Your last sentence .  When I come out of a supermarket the first thing before putting in the shopping is my blasted mask comes off and I shout OFF.  Just before sun down me and 'er indoors ride our pushbikes through the rice fields , a mile to Ban Hoi then back.  My wife puts on a mask , we may not see another soul but on goes her mask.  Worse are the locals that want to talk to you but keep the mask up. I give up , I really do.

17 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

True enough about the vaccine take up, but lets face it this will still be pretty much the same when more get vaccinated, and I don't know the figures but it must be pretty high here now % wise.

As for the masks, I can see us being 'told' you wear them for frigging years..

People in Thailand and SE Asia in general don't need to be 'told' to wear masks. It's only entitled white visitors for whom it is an imposition, for whom it is a 'human right' that need to be told.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Your last sentence .  When I come out of a supermarket the first thing before putting in the shopping is my blasted mask comes off and I shout OFF.  Just before sun down me and 'er indoors ride our pushbikes through the rice fields , a mile to Ban Hoi then back.  My wife puts on a mask , we may not see another soul but on goes her mask.  Worse are the locals that want to talk to you but keep the mask up. I give up , I really do.

What's worse is when you are infected with Covid and they intubate you. I understand that is quite uncomfortable. 

• Confused 2