AstraZeneca offers no protection against Omicron after 100 days

webfact

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

I've been in country for just over 6 months, entered with 2 AZ vaccines administered in Australia and get an AZ booster tomorrow in Ratchaburi from the local hospital with my passport and my wife's house (blue) book

No charge

Good to hear, there will be certain members on here dissapointed that it was so easy - lol.

Good job.

7 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

How has it been established that AZ will not be effective after 100 days against a variant that has been identified for much less than 100 days?

I guess because the AZ vaccine has been around for more than 100 days? 

So people contracting the new variant now, could have had the AZ vaccine more than 100 days ago.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Also to note the preferred booster for 2 AZ jabs is Pfizer not AZ X3.

In the U.K., most people are offered the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or Moderna vaccine as a booster, although some people are given the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine if they cannot have the alternatives.

That includes me

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

In the U.K., most people are offered the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or Moderna vaccine as a booster, although some people are given the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine if they cannot have the alternatives.

That includes me

Yes but the early research seems to indicate that AZ is <deleted> protection for the new variant.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes but the early research seems to indicate that AZ is <deleted> protection for the new variant.

Pfizer is only a little better at 30% so even if you had 2 doses of that you will still need a booster. Basically everyone needs them now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

How has it been established that AZ will not be effective after 100 days against a variant that has been identified for much less than 100 days?

Lab scale testing can extrapolate the results based on original protection -time related diminishing . It is not 99d it is protecting and 100d no protection . It is low to start with and reduces faster , so after 100d , it is below what "scientists" call "effective" .

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

I guess because the AZ vaccine has been around for more than 100 days? 

So people contracting the new variant now, could have had the AZ vaccine more than 100 days ago.

The rationale of that then assumes the efficacy of AZ becomes useless against any form of covid-19 as the basis of an extrapolated further rationale applied to Omicron (and therefore to any other  variant of "concern" ?)

Or is it that this assumption being marketed as fact is purely a extension of the strategy to create profitable market dominance  for  Pfizer's mRNA "magic" solution? And which variant mRNA vaccine is that? The EUO one or the US FDA  fully approved one?

I believe I am not alone in growing suspicion there is compounding evidence that the "pandemic" is in more realistic terms a "global endemic disease" in same way as is Hepatitis B which despite infect  1 in 3 people has never been declared a pandemic .

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The situation for access will likely vary radically based on location in Thailand and other factors.

Also to note the preferred booster for 2 AZ jabs is Pfizer not AZ X3.

Or 2 AZ  1 Moderna

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Which hospital?

Speaking to my daughter in the UK and as has been said the booster jabs available (I had 2 AZ in Feb & May) are Pfizer or Moderna I'm off back to UK in mid Jan but not sure if i should try and get a booster here before i go ?

4 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

Speaking to my daughter in the UK and as has been said the booster jabs available (I had 2 AZ in Feb & May) are Pfizer or Moderna I'm off back to UK in mid Jan but not sure if i should try and get a booster here before i go ?

Depends where you live?

UK Health Security Agency Tweet:

"We can confirm 10 people have been hospitalised with the Omicron variant in England; these individuals were diagnosed on or before admission."

"They are spread around the country and ages range between 18-85 years. The majority had received 2 doses of vaccination. One individual diagnosed in hospital has sadly died. UKHSA Chief Medical Adviser Susan Hopkins:"

FGfjIgXWYAUL4_9.png.ea7e56b50c8eab7b1f6918c7fcaf9d44.png

https://twitter.com/UKHSA/status/1470393604136968192

1 hour ago, Nojohndoe said:

The rationale of that then assumes the efficacy of AZ becomes useless against any form of covid-19 as the basis of an extrapolated further rationale applied to Omicron (and therefore to any other  variant of "concern" ?)

Or is it that this assumption being marketed as fact is purely a extension of the strategy to create profitable market dominance  for  Pfizer's mRNA "magic" solution? And which variant mRNA vaccine is that? The EUO one or the US FDA  fully approved one?

I believe I am not alone in growing suspicion there is compounding evidence that the "pandemic" is in more realistic terms a "global endemic disease" in same way as is Hepatitis B which despite infect  1 in 3 people has never been declared a pandemic .

Lots more money to be made from Moderna and Pfizer jabs than the non-profit AZ jabs. Would be interesting to look through the full register of shareholders in those two companies. 

I want everyone to be vaccinated but there are so many things that arouse suspicion I think the number of anti-vaxers will rise. Including this mystery 'one person' who died with Omnicron in the UK with no details about his age and general health disclosed. We're weeks behind southern Africa on the Omicron curve, but we still managed to get an Omnicron death before them?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Very careful with their wording announcing one person has died in the UK “with” Omicron as opposed to “from”

More dramatic headlines without the full facts of the death. 

Yep. I'm sure there are quite a lot of people also died "with" toothaches in the last ten days. Please get boosters, double-mask and hide under your beds.

Edited by huangnon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, fredscats said:

If AZ is no good against new variant,how does anothe AZ jab stack up

Pretty well.

But then the headline is misleading- 80% effective against severe infection even with 2 shots and no booster, against a variant that might even be less dangerous.

Still a good idea to get a booster.