Thailand again signals move away from mass-market foreign tourism with falling numbers

webfact

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

I just love it, a new day and a series of new ideas and comments by some nobody somewhere hidden in the dungeon of bureaucratic government officials. The tourism people have been faring very well ever since they had a reason why tourism started to nosedive. 

Your sinking figures and corresponding sinking revenues started long before Covid19, Corona or whatever other excuse you flag. 

35 years ago some smart brain coined "amazing Thailand" which, at the time, was spot on. Tourists came in droves, mostly quality tourists on an FIT basis and lucrative group tours visiting the countryside beauties of mainly central and northern Thailand. The rest was sneaking around the tens of thousands of houses of ill repute. Likewise the girls, the customers, bar owners, hotel operators and the police lining their pockets were happy. 

Dual pricing on a, the longer the more expensive, product started to explode, the individual and small tour groups made way for the avalanche of Russians until their currency went down the drain. The red brethren from the North replaced them with zero dollar tours in the millions. A ferry "sank" in Phuket ringing in the first visible bump in arrivals from China and from there it only went downhill.

Meanwhile the local boys blocked visa-runners (900,000 non-Thais with an average spending of 30,000 Baht/monthly) got screwed with visa regulations and 27 billion Baht got erased; yearly that is. Long term tourists wanting to spend the chillier winter months in Thailand were facing ridiculous visa requirements. Asking German retiree couples, owning a 15 million Baht condominium, on a yearly basis to present a health certificate confirming no "Syphilis" nor "Elephantiasis" by a German doctor was sofar unmatched. Others, married to a Thai national, had to physically bring along their wives to the visa-issuing Embassy or Consulate as the (European) paperwork was not sufficient. 

Then they added the 90-days notification for the sole reason to employ another few brainless university graduates (with normally no knowledge of any foreign language at the immigration); the TM30 followed. 

Next step was the officially backed  practice of charging the dirty farang and alien upto 20 times the local tariff when passing through a national park or visiting a historical site. Here the answer would be much simpler; Thais go free and non-Thais pay a reasonable access fee. 

The booze tale was next, no booze from midnight to 11 am and between 2pm and 5pm. Official reason given; keep kids away from alcoholism. Well, during the hours kids are in school = no alcohol, during lunch breaks and after school = booze agogo!

No beach chairs on Thai beaches and 100,000 Baht fine for smoking or drinking a cold stubby at the beach followed. 

The Covid19 sank in and the regulators went into idiotic overdrive with closing everything, making access to Thailand literally impossible and hoping for the flu to disappear into thin air. Did not happen, the 14-days quarantine followed at rip-off 5* pricing for shabby accommodation and cold food served in plastic containers by staff wrapped up on transparent garbage bags. The multi-million Covid19-insurance followed, testing, retesting and reretesting followed. 

The dirty farang would come last with vaccination until the international community worldwide told the Thais to hold it; then - all of a sudden - it was foreigners first with real vaccinations and not the locally boiled-up soups under a monopolistic license from God-knows-where.

The first few millions of Thais landed on the road, without social network protection and the rigid access had to get loosened; now down to one night in a quarantine (see above). Every governor can instruct rules (fly domestically into Suvannaphoum does not require any papers; landing at Udon Thani without a vaccination certificate = off the a quarantine sojourn as so instructed by the local bigwig). 

You want to get tourism back? Really? then get rid of all those weed smoking clowns in the governmental tourism offices, reassign 75% of the immigration goons into inactive postings and streamline your regulations on a common sense basis; stop bashing on the dirty farang, alien, kaek, cheks and whatever the semi-divine Khon Thais meanwhile call non-Thais, teach them foreign languages and hope for the best. The last could be easily and free-of-charge implemented by no voicing over the endless stream of cartoons on local TV stations; let those cartoons run in their original languages like English or Japanese and most kids will have an excellent basis to learn English/Japanese at school.

I'm not a day dreamer; nothing will happen as those in charge of invoking changes are the same group of gangsters who directly benefit from the status-quo!

Welcome to Thailand! 

Enough!  Just quit squirming around with all the useless hype, remove the hurdles, and truly open the country.

Tourists will come, but it has to be easy. 

The yearly spending of the visa runners is 324 billion Baht, the quoted 27 billion Baht are monthly! 

5 hours ago, Gold Star said:

TAT is like a headless chicken, flailing around and bleeding to death in different directions:

- Let's get rid of the Chinese (Zero dollar tours)

- Let's bring in Pokemon Go' to save us

- Let's bring back the Chinese

- Let's make visas unnecessarily difficult

- Let's bring in the Indians to save us

- Let's close our Island parks

- Let's bring in high dollar tourists

- Let's charge tourists 10x more in parks

- Let's shut down Pattaya and make it all a family resort

- Let's have New Years entertainment

- Let's shut down any entertainment

- Let's make it nearly impossible to buy alcohol

- Let's create a tough list of restrictions and conditions for entry, insurance, and testing, make people pay for it all in advance, then change it every week

Enough!  Just quit squirming around with all the useless hype, remove the hurdles, and truly open the country.

Tourists will come, but it has to be easy. 

all good points  but we all keep forgetting what the main issue is   

the damnnn virus  is still here and getting worse again ... we (thailand) has not stopped it yet ..   all efforts should be toward stopping it  even if it means shutting down biz   

• Like 1

I was 3 weeks ago in South Jomtien, near Ban Saray.
Hig rise condominiums with price starting at 4 million baht.
Prices that are out of the reach of most (s)expats with a pension.
And most of these condominiums WERE SOLD OUT!!!!

Condominium owners families enjoying a day at the local swimming pool that looked like a swimming pool in Singapore.
Very clean and neat.
Very few, almost none, Esan hookers around.

In the evening, condominium owners started to return home from work in Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambo's, etc.
All cars with price tags starting around 6 million baht.
Ordering a dinner at the condominium of a few 10 thousand baht for them and their family.

Face it.
The days of the (s)expats who came to Thailand to marry a Thai hooker from Pattaya or Phuket, buy a house upcountry in the rice fields of Nakhon Nowhere and going to the Maharat when somethings goes awry are over.
Thailand doesn't want you anymore.

1 single of these condominium owners spend more in 1 day in Thailand than a (s)expat and his Esan family in a whole year and they are not whining like you.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

All has to do with pricing.  When I was there in the age of dinosaurs, I could have a good time for 50 Baht or less up-country.  90 Baht at one place in Bangkok, but they provided the short time room and it was in a nice part of town. That was like $4.50 at the exchange rate at that time. 

These short term rooms were, I assume, to offer you temporary relief from the heat and exhaustion after devoting hours to the inspection of temples, ruins or other historical or cultural displays. Once refreshed, I imagine you moved on to the next town to avail yourself of its cultural offerings. Yes those indeed were days to be savoured by the discerning Thai tourist.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand for its fun factors, but spend my quality holidays in the Caribbean

Why can't you have the same fun in the Caribbean?  I'm sure there must be a lot of nice women there, locals and tourists alike.  
No chance of a holiday romance with another tourist?

5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

If TAT wants to attract the elusive "high end" of the tourist market they will have to ensure that the necessary infrastructure is built to the needed quality and . . . . . maintained. 

Not holding my breath.

If they simply make the minimum for a short time to be officially 1,000B.. that'd squeeze out the Indians and other lowest mass of dirty farangs and markedly improve the condition and the reputation of the market.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Dismantle your sex industry and you will get what you want. But as the old saying goes “be careful what you wish for”. I for one think they will be shooting themselves in the foot with a sawn off shotgun should they actually do that but alas Thailand is no stranger to doing that to themselves. They can’t seem to see 2 seconds into the future but hey it’s Thailand so “up to you”. They can always do the standard back peddle manoeuvre something which they are record holders of and the current world champions.

You really think dismantling an estimated 10% sex industry of total tourist expenditure is “shooting themselves”. Especially when most of this shadow economy doesn’t contribute to the government revenues. 

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Guys if you had a business that was a ROARING success for the last 50 years solid......What would you want to change about your business?

My guess is about 99.9% of you would want to change absolutely nothing...

So why this fanatical focus on changing tourism?

Really why? 

It seems since 2014 the goal has been to kill success stories,where ever they are found in Thailand...

Lets give a shout out for that female Minister of Tourism who who wishes to throw cold water on tourism and thwart the ambitions of many thai ladies who wish to escape the rice field and meet a farang.

Once more thankyou, Kobkarn Wattanavarankul.

• Haha 2

This is a good opportunity to implement changes. I agree with changing the image of Thailand as sex capital of the world. With it we’ve seen the scum that have targeted Thailand as a destination from child sex addicts, drug dealers and other criminals. Red light districts exist in just about every major city in the world and Thailand will be no exception. Now that the sex industry is just about destroyed makes it a great opportunity as it would’ve been difficult to do that in the middle of peak activity. 

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Problem with aiming for high class tourists and the dismantling of the sex industry is that that is probably 6-8 million jobs out the window and no new industry to employ them on the horizon.

The aim for high class tourists and no more sex industry is a fine aim, but they should not even attempt anything like that until tourism is back to 32-40 million a year and they have something in place to support their goals and start the transferring the sex industry workers and soon to be 'poor' tourism support workers to better jobs 

I totally agree. It would be interesting to see the financial figures for the period 2016 to 2019 for Pattaya and surrounds MMmmmm

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

These guys just don't get it and they'll never get it. The unicorn of the "high end foreign traveler" would have come here already if they existed for Thailand. But they don't.

These bozos better start taking what they can get or the country will never recover and it won't even be a good place to live for the foreigners who do live here.

Once you have a reputation it is almost impossible to shed it. Sex tourism is and always will be a large part of Thailand's tourist revenue. Cheap Chinese and Indians will too.

Scare them away and you'll have nothing. Which is pretty much what they have right now.

They keep making proclamations like that will magically make the unicorns appear out of thin air. It always makes me laugh.

I started coming here 23 years ago and have lived here for 21 and nothing has changed. And it never will change.

Yep same same bruce lol ???? 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I was 3 weeks ago in South Jomtien, near Ban Saray.
Hig rise condominiums with price starting at 4 million baht.
Prices that are out of the reach of most (s)expats with a pension.
And most of these condominiums WERE SOLD OUT!!!!

Condominium owners families enjoying a day at the local swimming pool that looked like a swimming pool in Singapore.
Very clean and neat.
Very few, almost none, Esan hookers around.

In the evening, condominium owners started to return home from work in Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambo's, etc.
All cars with price tags starting around 6 million baht.
Ordering a dinner at the condominium of a few 10 thousand baht for them and their family.

Face it.
The days of the (s)expats who came to Thailand to marry a Thai hooker from Pattaya or Phuket, buy a house upcountry in the rice fields of Nakhon Nowhere and going to the Maharat when somethings goes awry are over.
Thailand doesn't want you anymore.

1 single of these condominium owners spend more in 1 day in Thailand than a (s)expat and his Esan family in a whole year and they are not whining like you.

Are you not an economist?

A 4 million baht condo (~$120,000) is hardly out of reach of many pensioners. Perhaps the "30-170 million baht starting price" of Q on Sukhumvit in Bangkok is a bit out of reach for many, but 4 million is kind of chump change worldwide in terms of accommodation, even a second holiday home.

As for the returning Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches each evening, these cost a bit closer to the 20 million to 50 million baht range (Lambo Aventador). Starting at "6 million baht" might get a buyer two doors and a cigarette lighter, or a Toyota.

I might guess that your perception of what 'sexpats' or those who married a Thai woman spend is equally misinformed. Lots of 'sexpats' save for a year to play Two Week Millionaire when they visit Thailand, and when they leave another planeload is arriving. While I'm not one who married a Thai "hooker" (rather a rude term for someone born less fortunate than you), I do know a few and what they spend is likely a lot more than someone who shelled out for a $120K condo. In fact, I even know one who just ordered another Ferrari. Yes, 'another'.

• Like 2

LOL completely utopian.

Fact: the international arrivals have been down 99% since 2019.

In the extended version, the WTTC calculates around 5 million Thais who are dependent on tourism income. The painful economic consequences for the normal Thai population are yet to come.

The whole TAT blah blah is only there to distract from there own ineptitude. Meanwhile, at international universities where one can study tourism in higher semesters, Thailand is being examined as a case study for a failed tourism policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1