Thailand again signals move away from mass-market foreign tourism with falling numbers

webfact

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Guys if you had a business that was a ROARING success for the last 50 years solid......What would you want to change about your business?

My guess is about 99.9% of you would want to change absolutely nothing...

So why this fanatical focus on changing tourism?

Really why? 

It seems since 2014 the goal has been to kill success stories,where ever they are found in Thailand...

Stupid is as stupid does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldGgGFe194

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I suppose I’m an old timer I will be 71 in 2 months , live on my own in a villa that is to big for me but I employ a cleaning lady and gardeners to take care of the jobs that take up a lot of my energy . I have the same masseur once per week who does a home visit I don’t smoke or do drugs and am an occasional drinker . I support the local Thai businesses as much as I can I only go to the big stores    when I can’t get it elsewhere . I’m financially sound with no debts I would of thought that I’m the type of Foreigner that would be made welcome in the country but since moving here 16 years ago as each year goes by I get the feeling that is no longer the case . At least those who come and do chores for me appreciate my generosity!

Maybe I am missing something? Reading your post I think the exact opposite. In the grand scheme of things you contribute very little to the economy.

Tourists spend money in bars, restaurants, soapy massages, tourist attractions, bar girls, golf courses, getting medical procedures done, car rentals, hotels, jet skis, festivals, and more.

How much do you pay these people? 300 baht a day perhaps? 5 or 6 people? Two or three days a week?

A 20 year old university student on a two week break probably spends the same, if not more, in a day than you do in a week. 

That's what Thailand needs.

A family of four on three week holiday hitting up Bangkok, Koh  Chang (beach spot), and Chiang mai will spend a small fortune. 

They are who Thailand needs.

The married father of three children, who comes to Thailand on  a buddies week long golfing  holiday. Spends money on golf, bar  girls, more bar girls, some more bar girls, a quick visit to the local medical clinic, drinks,  food, hotel, car rental. Will also spend a small fortune.

This is what Thailand wants.

Your contribution,  which I am sure is appreciated, is not what Thailand really wants to focus on.

I have lived here, off and on, for the past 15 years. I always fail to understand why people say they feel unwelcome. Try and get a tourist visa for your Thai wife to go on a holiday with their spouse and  child (Canadian & Thai citizen) and you may not complain about feeling unwelcome as much.

I personally have only ever had one bad experience with immigration in 15 years. Which was in part my own fault.

Now with the new 90 day reporting website thingy making it a breeze to do that, things  are getting easier.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Guys if you had a business that was a ROARING success for the last 50 years solid......What would you want to change about your business?

My guess is about 99.9% of you would want to change absolutely nothing...

Really why? 

It seems since 2014 the goal has been to kill success stories,where ever they are found in Thailand...

Why ask Why?

There is a saying about eggs and baskets and hopefully Thailand has learned a lesson.

Of course self interest will always be the focus for  many.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rct99q said:

That's what Thailand needs.

Your thinking is flawed. What any country really needs is a robust GDP and tourism is not a robust industry, as many countries around the globe have come to realise.

Thailand and other countries that have a certain dependence on tourism need to look to other sources of revenue to support the GDP.

Given that a quarter of the pre-COVID tourists came from China, and that figure was both increasing in total and percentage, and that that market is essentially still frozen, what options do they have but to try and land some whales?

Half expecting the Tourism hack to start off the next press conference with: “Call me Ishmael”. Hopefully most TAT officials fare better than Ahab.

Edited by mtls2005

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Problem with aiming for high class tourists and the dismantling of the sex industry is that that is probably 6-8 million jobs out the window and no new industry to employ them on the horizon.

The aim for high class tourists and no more sex industry is a fine aim, but they should not even attempt anything like that until tourism is back to 32-40 million a year and they have something in place to support their goals and start the transferring the sex industry workers and soon to be 'poor' tourism support workers to better jobs 

I believe it's (or was) the second highest export eaner after rice for Issan.

Edited by dinsdale

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It is clear that the government is aiming to take advantage of the pandemic disaster to end Thailand’s reputation as a sex tourist haven, an ambition stated clearly by the country’s first female Minister of Tourism and Sports in 2014 after the military coup that year installed a junta government.

Really, Bangla road seems to be doing fine?

Or is that far enough away from BKK they can turn another blind eye.

Edited by hotchilli

Problem with aiming for high class tourists and the dismantling of the sex industry is that that is probably 6-8 million jobs out the window and no new industry to employ them on the horizon.

The aim for high class tourists and no more sex industry is a fine aim, but they should not even attempt anything like that until tourism is back to 32-40 million a year and they have something in place to support their goals and start the transferring the sex industry workers and soon to be 'poor' tourism support workers to better jobs 

Or you look at it the other way. The low class tourism feeding the need for cheaper labour and immigrants coming to work in thailand. With higher class tourists, better pay and you will have thai workers doing to job, even it seems like a fiction, since we all know how difficult it is to find skilled thai workers who doesnt run away after their training. 

We will see in the future,

if you are asian, you have to prove income to get a tourist visa in most western countries.  

Prayuts worry is that if the sex industry gets up and going again there will be no turning it around.

This is his opportunity to quell the likes of Pattaya etc.

Phuket, Samui, Krabi, Koh Tao are far enough away and isolated so they can be the haunts of the sex travelers and workers.

However mainland resorts are in for a change.

What would you rather have, Walking street of old or a rejuvenated Pattaya with bistros, cafes, restaurants, normal bars, where there will be plenty of employment, without the scantily clad girls and sex services shoved in your face.

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Really why? 

I'm saying it is because people with power are tired of having Thailand's reputation as a playland for sexpats being thrown in their faces at cocktail time while visiting in the west.

• Like 2

Like many countries around th world, Thailand, and others,  are feeling nervous. With ever changing rules, anti-vaxers, confrontations on airplanes, etc, they are just unsure what the future will be like.

However my prediction will be places like Thailand, Mexico, Jamaica, sun destinations  that rely on that lower/middle class tourist on their two week holidays will roar back late next year.

I look at advertising , and brochures, from tour operators, airlines etc, to see what is happening. Most of these companies have to plan trips 6 to 12 months in advance. Seeing plenty of promotions for the 18-30 yr old travel group. Admittedly these are just ones out of Canada, but places like Southeast  Asia are prominently advertised.

Also the new rail link from southern China to Vientiane could prove to be a huge boost to this region's tourism sector. Projections are that there could be up to three passenger trains and one, possibly two cargo  trains, per day. A recent  news article  showed there  Will be upwards of a million Chinese visitors using the rail service (up to the Laos border) for the Chinese new year in February. 

Just shows...........

People are people and they want to travel. They are begging governments to open up. How? 

Get people vaccinated. Follow some simple hygiene related rules. Simple. 

Nobody. Absolutely nobody, has the right to Travel! One can not demand  to be let on an airplane, train etc.

Thailand, and others, have  an obligation,  Like it or not, to protect  its citizens to the best of its ability. We may not all agree on how, but nobody should think governments are wanting their citizens  to get  sick, and or, possibly die.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 6