Thailand's new COVID-19 cases hit six month low

Jonathan Fairfield

HOPEBG73SNMDVMQ746BYUFQMEA.jpeg

Image: Reuters file photo

Thailand on Sunday (Dec 19) recorded 2,899 new COVID-19 cases, 4,389 recoveries and 22 deaths.

Sunday's caseload is the lowest reported in Thailand more than than six months. 

Since April 1, the start of the so-called third wave, Thailand has reported 2,162,665 cases and 2,100,932 recoveries.

Meanwhile, vaccinations in Thailand continue to be administered at a significant rate. 

As of Friday (Dec 17), 99.38 million vaccine doses had been administered in Thailand. 

To date, approximately 70 percent of the population have received one dose of a vaccine, while 61.4 percent of the population have received two vaccine doses. 

• Thanks 1

The number of Covid-19 cases crossed 14.56 million across Southeast Asia, with 25,329 new cases reported on Saturday (December 18). New deaths are at 422, bringing accumulated Covid-19 deaths in Asean to 299,774.

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40010143

Asean reported over 25,000 Covid-19 cases on Saturday

• Like 1

we are still in the wave, which started at the end of June. And it's the 4rth wave, delta from india.

The 3rd wave, which started in april, was caused by an english strain.

They have overlapped in June, but they are separate waves.

I wouldn't call off the present wave yet. It is dipping from it's peak 25k to some 3.5k, but cold weather is forcing people indoors and immunity will be compromised by the other pathogens, including common cold, flue A and B. I would think very few people got their vaccination this year, as it wasn't a health topic.

Expected this winter higher air pollution will enhance symptoms related to lungs.

The omicron in January will cause the 5th wave.

There is no need for complacency at all

Edited by internationalism
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Thailand's numbers have dropped to a point where we start to discuss other Covid stuff. The ASEAN numbers are quite interesting, some of the other nations are doing very well. I recall when Vietnam was the outlier on the bottom. In fact the whole way it has fluctuated in different places and times has been a feature of the pandemic. Probably reasons for most of it, but I'm already suffering Covid brain overload. I was on edge this time last year before travelling to Australia and I find myself in exactly the same position this year. Not because I thought I'd get it, but the uncertainties due to Governments and personalities running the response, lockdowns, border closures etc

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

These quoted numbers just dont add up.

61.4 % of the population  ( Pop 70 M ) has 2 Jabs = roughly 42 Million people x 2 Doses each = 84 Million Doses

There is no way that 70 % of the population has been vaccinated with the remaining 15 Million doses

Total B######s

The 61.4% are all part of the 70%. I would put it thus; 70% of 12 and over say roughly 60 million = 42 million. 61.4% of the same 60 million = 37 million total 79 million. That's 20 million left over so you are right the figures don't look correct but on the opposite side to what you say, if I've read your post correctly.

23 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

These quoted numbers just dont add up.

61.4 % of the population  ( Pop 70 M ) has 2 Jabs = roughly 42 Million people x 2 Doses each = 84 Million Doses

There is no way that 70 % of the population has been vaccinated with the remaining 15 Million doses

Total B######s

I also notice that the 1900 reported positive cases from 2 prisons over the last few Days still have not appeared within the MOPH graphic.

It all makes one wonder if there is more being withheld from Public scrutiny

I would assume they are talking about adults vaccinated, of which there are about 50 million in Thailand, then the figures appear more believable.

18 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

The 61.4% are all part of the 70%. I would put it thus; 70% of 12 and over say roughly 60 million = 42 million. 61.4% of the same 60 million = 37 million total 79 million. That's 20 million left over so you are right the figures don't look correct but on the opposite side to what you say, if I've read your post correctly.

Add in the millions of booster jabs given to those who had sinovac....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Add in the millions of booster jabs given to those who had sinovac....

Yes a few million of those, boosters etc, plus expats, I've heard of droves of Cambodians around here getting jabbed so presumably in all the border areas and migrant encampments. Starting to get in the ball park.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Omicron will arrive from India into Mynamar and then into the porous Thai borders.

Omicron Cases In India Now 126; Maharashtra, Karnataka Report More Patients
    Updated: December 18, 2021

New Delhi/Mumbai: India's Omicron COVID count rose to 126 on Saturday after Karnataka and Kerala reported six and four cases respectively, while three more persons in Maharashtra also tested positive for the variant.

"The 17-year-old patient in Thiruvananthapuram came from the UK while the 44-year-old reached the state from Tunisia in a chartered flight. The patient in Malappuram came from Tanzania while the Thrissur native came from Kenya," Health Minister Veena George said in a release.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indias-omicron-tally-rises-to-126-maha-kerala-ktaka-report-more-cases-2658725

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Omicron Cases In India Now 126; Maharashtra, Karnataka Report More Patients
    Updated: December 18, 2021

New Delhi/Mumbai: India's Omicron COVID count rose to 126 on Saturday after Karnataka and Kerala reported six and four cases respectively, while three more persons in Maharashtra also tested positive for the variant.

"The 17-year-old patient in Thiruvananthapuram came from the UK while the 44-year-old reached the state from Tunisia in a chartered flight. The patient in Malappuram came from Tanzania while the Thrissur native came from Kenya," Health Minister Veena George said in a release.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indias-omicron-tally-rises-to-126-maha-kerala-ktaka-report-more-cases-2658725

Proof that Covid travels far more than tourists....my goldfish told me so.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Proof that Covid travels far more than tourists....my goldfish told me so.

and with 126 cases in India as of today the onslaught from the western Thai border is sure to begin -- elsewhere India is predicting a third wave via omicron  early next year 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/omicron-driven-third-wave-likely-to-arrive-early-next-year-peak-in-feb-covid-supermodel-panel-101639832355830.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I will be the first to say it....the calm before the storm is what we see now.

I prefer to think of the current situation as being in the 'eye of the hurricane' - because that's exactly what it is.

The storm is still raging and the clocks ticking.

Unless this new Omicron variant is especially vulnerable to high heat and humidity then 2022 is going to be interesting.

Edited by ukrules
    • Like 1