First local transmission of Omicron detected in Thailand, 63 cases confirmed so far

snoop1130

6 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Time to cancel my Thai trip for next year. No way am I going to spend 10-14 days in quarantine. 

Israel Bars Travel to U.S. or Canada as Omicron Surges

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israel-bars-travel-to-us-or-canada-as-omicron-surges/ar-AARZqFN?li=BBnb7Kz

France bans nonessential travel to Britain over the Omicron surge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/16/world/europe/france-uk-travel-restrictions-omicron.html

Edited by Tony125
correction

6 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Even if they close the whole country down , it will still spread here .

No way to keep it out .

Vaccinations against Delta have little effect on Omicron .

Not so- vaccines reduce symptomatic reactions including Omicron- just not as much as Delta

4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Not stupid at all considering 3 months goes against manufacturers advice of 6 months.

Seems that 3 mths before booster is now considered best against Omicron

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Time to cancel my Thai trip for next year. No way am I going to spend 10-14 days in quarantine. 

Inclined to agree. I've also got a mate who has braved the TP etc etc and is sending me reliable reports from Pattaya.

Predictably somewhat unexciting. 

4 hours ago, Harrith1954 said:

And then you should keep in mind "who funds the WHO??" The BigPharma and the Governments who oppose this pandemic of unknown viral infections. The flu was maybe worden if you count the infectionrate, this is Total bullocks. Building on framed statistics, they should look the fatallity of the cute they all want is to take.

Any chance you could translate that into English please?   Or at least clarify it!

(Just a polite request you understand)  ????

Edited by VBF

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Remember deaths lag infection and cases by up to 2 weeks.

You can only continue to say that for so long until you have to accept the result. It's been there since November already.

People have been saying this for 4 to 5 weeks already

Edited by ukrules
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You can only continue to say that for so long until you have to accept the result. It's been there since November already.

Some people are never content with good news. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

And we're off to the races.

Exactly, might be a blessing in disguise, I thought it was out in the community already, USA up to 75 % UK bolting along , SA delta displaced, all heading that way, and data so far showing hospitals not under any stress , oxygen use way down, SA peak is starting to fall already, so looking good, so in a month or so delta may be history, and this pandemic might be as well, many people do not even know they have it, fingers crossed that this is the beginning of the end, my condolences to big pharma if it is.

Tune into Dr John Campbell for the latest figures he put the USA data up not long ago and looking good.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It's impossible for them ( or any other country ) to know the correct figures.

These are Anutins figures while sitting on toilet reading a comic … Well must be true coz he is the most popular person in the world you know 5555555

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

The South Africa data is too ratty to draw many conclusions. We do know the unvaccinated are more prone to hospitalization. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Question is did they ever remove Thailand from the list?

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It was always going to arrive, despite Anutin's asinine chest thumping about it being no match for Thailand.

Now, Thailand will have to decide how it reacts. Does it panic, lock down and destroy what is left of the economy, ruining people's businesses, livelihoods, mental health and education? Or does it ramp up the vaccination/booster program and allow it's citizens to decide what level of risk they deem is appropriate for them?

Agreed. After alpha and delta, why would omicron be any different given the transmissibility.

your two options make sense. There is a third option which I fear MIGHT play out. The government ramps up vaccination and boosters, leaving some citizens to decide their own fate and others, mostly in rural non tourist areas, unable to get access to vaccines despite the ramping up and a desire to have them. And then there is the added factor that insufficient education and a distrust of modern science over traditional witchcraft, might result in some rural folk deciding their own fate on decidedly unscientific grounds.

I guess I am being a bit cynical about government abilities to ensure that vaccines are available equally for all who want them, and about government education efforts for that segment of the population that is uneducated. Perhaps that’s being unfair. Certainly your two options are front and centre.

4 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Make it happen, God. Please! Mankind needs a proper kick in the rear.

Hahaha lol ???? I had to laugh, but it's not really funny. 

I mean, imagine if there was such a thing as an Earth Doctor. How would it view this pleasure-seeking race known as Homosapien? That's right, we'd be labeled as an aggressive cancer. After all, we destroy everything we touch and have no place at all in the fine balance of nature. 

Heck, if we're really God's chosen ones, all I can say is that Lucifer's got some serious competition on his hands. See, the truth is... as a species... you know... we ain't very nice, we're just not.

But hey, I might have got it all completely wrong… it happens. In which case, someone wiser than I should correct me.

How stupid are these people  - in Nakhon Ratchasima today I went for a 3rd jab top up - after the customary 4 hr wait - “Mr cannot because not 6 months from Jab  2 - Good luck with the Omicron you stupid morons. Bored beyond belief with these <deleted>**wits.

19 minutes ago, mut462 said:

How stupid are these people  - in Nakhon Ratchasima today I went for a 3rd jab top up - after the customary 4 hr wait - “Mr cannot because not 6 months from Jab  2 - Good luck with the Omicron you stupid morons. Bored beyond belief with these <deleted>**wits.

apologies, I was misinformed

Edited by tgw
  • Confused 1

Thailand has confirmed a total of 63 Omicron cases to date, with more cases awaiting confirmation, according to Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul. Most of the confirmed and initially detected cases are arrivals from abroad, but a local transmission, Thailand’s first, has also been detected, in a Thai woman who did not travel outside the country, but whose husband recently returned from Nigeria. 

sooo... did they bother with thorough contact tracing in this case? or is omicron already multiplicating in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, tgw said:

ah, another "specuhl" in-duh-vidual who thinks guidelines don't apply to him

Guess you didn't see the post  a few days ago that Thailand recomends getting the booster 3 months after the 2nd shot  and listed places giving them out.

• Like 1

Just now, Tony125 said:

Guess you didn't see the post  a few days ago that Thailand recomends getting the booster 3 months after the 2nd shot  and listed places giving them out.

oops, I was still on the 6 month guideline

apologies to the poster!

29 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Hahaha lol ???? I had to laugh, but it's not really funny. 

I mean, imagine if there was such a thing as an Earth Doctor. How would it view this pleasure-seeking race known as Homosapien? That's right, we'd be labeled as an aggressive cancer. After all, we destroy everything we touch and have no place at all in the fine balance of nature. 

Heck, if we're really God's chosen ones, all I can say is that Lucifer's got some serious competition on his hands. See, the truth is... as a species... you know... we ain't very nice, we're just not.

But hey, I might have got it all completely wrong… it happens. In which case, someone wiser than I should correct me.

We are far from God's Chosen Ones. As a human race we are doomed anyway. Our extinction will be brought upon us by our own doing. Google the Fermi Paradox and the theory of life destroying itself.

But I believe everything happens for a reason and if it's our time, perhaps it might come very soon.

13 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It was always going to arrive, despite Anutin's asinine chest thumping about it being no match for Thailand.

Now, Thailand will have to decide how it reacts. Does it panic, lock down and destroy what is left of the economy, ruining people's businesses, livelihoods, mental health and education? Or does it ramp up the vaccination/booster program and allow it's citizens to decide what level of risk they deem is appropriate for them?

Thailand reinstates mandatory COVID-19 quarantine over Omicron concerns  ( 7---10 days )

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thailand-reinstates-mandatory-covid-19-083219769.html