Thailand suspends ‘Thailand Pass’ and ‘Test & Go’

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Mass vaccination campaign?

Only 61% double jabbed and only 7% boosted.

Thailand can't even catch up with other countries, let alone have any chance of getting ahead.

Who can book a holiday when you haven't a clue what the rules of entry will be in advance.

What about the people that had and recovered from covid?  Why should people be getting boosted after just getting the second shot?  How about the people with health issues or advanced age being vaccinated. If you are 20 years old and healthy it seems like their vaccination status should be something like who cares. I’m seeing a lot of these amazing “breakthrough cases” of people double jabbed and boosted. 

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Very interesting, looks like those of us that applied in advance like I did for a return in February are grandfathered in for the Test N Go.....keeping my fingers crossed it does not change before I fly out to the States after the new years and then return as I said.

Good luck with that. I suspect they're only thinking about imminent arrivals, just to try and win a little favour.

I hope I'm wrong, but expect to see all arrivals having to quarantine within week or so. Probably anyone after New Year, once Omicron's well and truly established in the populace, which will of course be predominantly blamed on the incoming travellers.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

If you did know and this was well thought out by the government of Thailand it would be abnormal.  IT's all the fun of Thailand travel, isn't it?  

It’s not just Thailand. Traveling anywhere internationally is a <deleted> shoot right now. I’m booked to go to Europe next July, in full recognition it’s a total gamble. Omicron will probably have been and gone, but what’s next? Hopefully nothing but nobody knows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kennw said:

International Norm - Australia, on arrival self isolate 72 hrs, PCR test within 24hrs of arrival, second PCR test day 5 or 6. If clear good to go. 

Australia was a nation  locked down as a prison for over a year!!! Thailand was a shining light of competence compared to Australia.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tso310 said:

So as I read it, my wife who is arriving from LHR on dear old Thai on Jan 12 and has already got her Thailand Pass, will just require a second PCR date after the one she has on arrival. I also assume that when they work things the details she will require an stay at her hotel for extra money. The rumour is 5-7 days.

I think if she already has her Thai pass she enters on the same registration,  if it reads Quarantine exempt then it's just 1 day quarantine, the bit I'm  not understanding is the RT-PCR, she will already be having a 2nd on arrival at the Hotel on the test n go system????

18 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

Perhaps the real issue here is how dangerous will Omicron be to a population vaccinated with Sinovac/ Sinopharm.  I am not sure that this has been determined.  Nonetheless, it is too late.  There were many migrants from Myanmar entering Mae Sak. Tak this morning.  The politics must also focus on this influx of people also.  We will continue to stay home and not travel until this Omicron wave is better understood.

Today I read an article about a research study just completed a week ago in Hong Kong that showed that people vaccinated twice with Sinovac did not have enough antibodies to protect them from Omicron. The study had a small sample size but the results were quite clear. The researchers stated that it was unclear if a 3rd Sinovac jab would provide enough protection and that further research on that would be needed. I'm guessing that the powers that be in Beijing were not thrilled with the publication of the study and CCP officials/police have already paid the researchers a visit.

Edited by Leatherneck
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Khun Anutin has a medical degree from where??  Right, no medical degree yet he's the head of the health department.  Who allows these bumbling buffoons into these positions anyway?

it [Cannabis] is increasingly contaminated with heroin in the illegal street trade

told the world by Karl -Nostradamus- Lauterbach, the new German health minister.

Here you have the proof that a medical degree does not prevent you from brain defects ????

3 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

All you need to do is look at the epidemiology of omicron in South Africa where they are about 10 days ahead. In a country with less than 30% vaccinations it has shown to be significantly milder and the average hospital stay is 2.8 days compared to 7 to 9 days of previous variants.

I somewhat agree with you but there are differences between SA and say the UK, stats show that more people in SA got Covid 19 so have a larger number in the population that have natural immunity, the other significant difference is the average age of the population SA being a lot younger, both those factors could be the reason why the data in SA is not directly comparable with say the UK 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

Masks - if worn correctly - protect others (more or less), not you

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kennw said:

International Norm - Australia, on arrival self isolate 72 hrs, PCR test within 24hrs of arrival, second PCR test day 5 or 6. If clear good to go. 

Quite a progress, from completely shutting down the borders for 2 years and locking down big cities like Melbourne because of some cases.

I wonder, if they learned it from the swedes.

Edited by drenddy

2 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:
  •  

Pre-print from South Africa looking at omicron disease severity:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.21.21268116v1.full.pdf

Early assessment of the clinical severity of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant in South Africa

Results

Among hospitalised individuals, after controlling for factors associated with severe disease, the odds of severe disease did not differ between SGTF-infected individuals compared to non-SGTF individuals diagnosed during the same time period (aOR 0.7, 95% CI 0.3-1.4).

Compared to earlier Delta infections, after controlling for factors associated with severe disease, SGTF-infected individuals had a lower odds of severe disease (aOR 0.3, 95% CI 0.2-0.5).

Conclusion

Early analyses suggest a reduced risk of hospitalisation among SGTF-infected individuals when compared to non-SGTF infected individuals in the same time period. Once hospitalised, risk of severe disease was similar for SGTF- and non-SGTF infected individuals, while SGTF-infected individuals had a reduced risk of severe disease when compared to earlier Delta-infected individuals. Some of this reducton is likely a result of high population immunity.

So they found that omicron infections had a 80% lower odds of being admitted to hospital compared to non-omicron variants, but did not differ in the risk of severe disease once in hospital.

When compared to delta infections, omicron infections were associated with a 70% lower odds of severe disease.

They make the following point: 

“It is difficult to disentangle the relative contribution of high levels of previous population immunity versus intrinsic lower virulence to the observed lower disease severity. Our finding of no difference in severity in SGTF compared to non-SGTF infected individuals in the same time period, and the lower risk of severity in SGTF compared to earlier Delta infected individuals, suggests that this reduced severity may be in part a result of high levels of population immunity (due to natural infection and/or vaccination)”

So an explanation might be that omicron is able to evade immunity in order to infect a person, but immunity against severe disease is still maintained, therefore producing lots of mild cases. This puts the focus on the nature of a populations immunity to reduce the hospitalisation rate. In the case of SA, high levels of previous infection (up to 70% of the population) might somewhat explain their low peak hospitalisation rate.   

Three doses has been shown to offer 98.8% effectiveness against hospitalisation after 14 days (compared to unvaccinated) vs delta:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/monitoring-reports-of-the-effectiveness-of-covid-19-vaccination

image.thumb.jpeg.0527d0f18c9df116e47a7250960c1e69.jpeg

So with relatively high levels of previous infection and very high three dose coverage, a population is likely to have a decent level of protection against hospitalisation

For those who ask why boosters are needed.

Let's wait for the next mutation, Omega and they will say it's imperative to get the 4th jab.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drenddy said:

Let's wait for the next mutation, Omega and they will say it's imperative to get the 4th jab.

Well, o-micron is the small Greek o, pronounced as oh, that’s not too bad. Whereas O-mega is the large Greek O, pronounced as OOOH, this is bad!

6 hours ago, shackleton said:

Considering the virus is getting worse in Europe especially the UK

As of yesterday at least, that isn't the case in the UK. New daily cases more than doubled initially, but then have held basically flat for the last 5 days. Will the next movement be up or down - hard to know. Hospital admissions are very low, so when percentage increases are quoted there it is from a low base.

Anyway, Thailand suspending new applications is out of an abundance of caution, and allowing existing TP holders in is the honourable thing to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, starky said:

Homo habilis was 2.8 million years ago using tools...

And they are extinct, which is my point.

Your OP suggests we follow their example!

PS;  Apes and other creatures can also use "tools"!

Edited by fangless
PS added

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I find it funny that you would call people morons and idiots while making a , let's just say not very smart statement. 

First, very difficult to live with it if you have died from it.

Second, , though the omicron variant might have half the hospitalization rate than the Delta variant, it has three times the infection rate, so since you are so much smarter than those "Morons and complete Idiots" you do the math

the UK is is in the midst of a sharp rise in hospitalizations, about 30 percent higher week over week. "

https://www.vox.com/22839742/omicron-covid-19-winter-surge-vaccine-booster-forecast.

So the Issue is not if Omicron  is going to get here, it will, but if it can be delayed, and as Sheryl pointed out in a previous reply , what they do with the time they buy from this lock down.

Will the squander it,as they have done in the past, or will they double down on the vaccination , boosters and hospital capacity , and be more ready for it when it gets here. 

….and the reason that hospital admissions have gone up is that 90% of them are UNvaccinated. Over 5 million unvaccinated in the U.K. who are putting others at risk. So I agree ‘morons and idiots’ (but not the extremely small number not vaccinated on medical advice)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, fangless said:

And they are extinct, which is my point.

Your OP suggests we follow their example!

PS;  Apes and other creatures can also use "tools"!

My point being....I'm fairly callous in that humans weren't designed to be locked up in boxes. Prison is a perfect example of that.

I wouldn't care how many covid killed myself included if that's what it takes. I'm not precious about my ego nor my existence and as governments have done basically <deleted>! all for 2 years and their will always be new variants and breakthrough cases why delay the inevitable? The strong shall survive the weak will die. The world needs a freshen up. Only IMHO of course. Lol. Others views may vary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, stewartthailand said:

….and the reason that hospital admissions have gone up is that 90% of them are UNvaccinated. Over 5 million unvaccinated in the U.K. who are putting others at risk. So I agree ‘morons and idiots’ (but not the extremely small number not vaccinated on medical advice)

Though I totally agree with you that it is the unvaccinated that are driving these variants, in the context of this thread's subject matter, we need to consider that these 5 million unvaccinated were  also unvaccinated during the delta variant. So there is something happening there that is new.