Anutin: Thailand is not shut - it's only a temporary suspension of new registrations - check again Jan 4th

webfact

"However, the government will introduce new measures for contact tracing and will ensure all travellers be tested 2 times using the RT-PCR method. The second testing will take place at government-designated facilities (no additional cost)".

From tatnews,org

40 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Didn’t know people still used travel agents particularly the savvy young

I’m 71 and last used one more than 15 years ago.

While I am stuck in the UK, I've noticed many travel agent shops, prices on the windows are constantly being marked down, and in the last year or so, I have not seen anybody actually in the shops apart from staff !

• Like 1

I was fortunate enough to catch the early test&go phase, did my trip to home country in November and back, so now I can sit down, relax, and feel amused at the Flip, which is now a Flop, no wait, it's Flip again, ah but that's Flop...

However, I do feel for those who wish, sometimes must, return to Thailand and are caught in this continuous uncertainty, stress, and even loss of significant cash. Such a shame for Thailand which deserves better than this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Anutin

Thailand is effectively closed as of now because of the statement made to stop T & G

Nobody is going to trust coming to Thailand, and on Day 7 have PCR test that could be positive, and then confined to an expensive Quarantine Facility

lot. people complaining  about thailand. , France. no Brits can come ,Holand  lock down. ,Austria  ,no injection cant leave your house. ,its all over the world ,Tavel as in the past is finished.  ,plus europe is very cold.  i would thought if you in Thailand quite happy warm ,no  westerners with there germs. ,better still no Chinese or Russians.  ,quite must be heaven. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin confirmed that they could all come but must take two RT-PCR tests on days one and seven of their visit.

As in the case of the "British traveler" who recently tested positive for Omicron in CM.. he passed the 1st PCR test on arrival, by day 7 he had already got symptoms, traveled from BKK to CM, then CM to Chiang Rai... no doubt coming into people at eateries, shops and taxi's.

2nd test on day 7 may not be the solution. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, engamann said:

I remember when them open up the General Prayut say #When we open up it is no way back , we will have to learn to live whit the Covid# well that last long , General Prauyt fail again ????????????

In fairness his crystal ball didn't show Omicron when he said that.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Didn’t know people still used travel agents particularly the savvy young

I’m 71 and last used one more than 15 years ago.

Beyond me also! Right now, more than ever, you should be booking directly with an airline with a proven track record of fast refund or fully flexible tickets and are still solid. ie. Singapore Air, Qatar and whatever you do, NOT Thai Airways by choice. Airlines can help you when plans need to change fast.

Book direct with hotels and walk away from ones that have terrible flexible terms or pull the Thailand stunt of wanting scans of the front and back of your credit card. Use online sites sure, but don't accept lack of flexibility.

That's what pandemic travel looks like. The lastest Anutin rug pull will probably not be the last.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I hate to be fair to him but plenty of world leaders have said the same - saying 'we have to learn to live with the virus' was very popular a couple of months back.  Then a new variant comes along and its all forgotten.

The only sensible response I've seen and again I hate being fair to this 'gentleman' too, is Boris Johnson's decision to remove all countries from the UK's Red List on the basis that Omicron is already widespread within the UK so there was little point in restricting travel - I hope he sticks to that.

'we have to learn to live with the virus'

We also have to learn to live with Prayut and Anutin by the looks of things!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He urged all those eligible to get their vaccine booster. 

That's a little convoluted.

Many sites are already booked.

People with two Pfeizer shots aren't included.

Good thing some of us had forsight to order Moderna.

5 hours ago, baboon said:

BA have thrown in the towel until next October. Will other airlines be joining them, I wonder.

I didn't know this. A few weeks ago I was one click away from booking late January flights with BA to BKK. So glad I bottled it! 

BA presumably can't fill their planes because entering Thailand is way too complicated and way too risky for most travellers. Hopefully Anutin and his cronies will start to get the message if enough airlines do the same. Wishful thinking perhaps...

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I didn't know this. A few weeks ago I was one click away from booking late January flights with BA to BKK. So glad I bottled it! 

BA presumably can't fill their planes because entering Thailand is way too complicated and way too risky for most travellers. Hopefully Anutin and his cronies will start to get the message if enough airlines do the same. Wishful thinking perhaps...

Perhaps so, if they think THAI will make a killing all the while. It's them or nowt if you want to fly direct from the UK...

• Like 1

Dumb statement, what’s going to change on 4th Jan? Nothing, apart from a worsening situation throughout the world and even more reason to keep the test and go shut. 

Why delay the inevitable, there’s no brownie points in it! All they are doing now is prolonging the economic disaster.

• Haha 1

The government reacted to the story of the Columbian pilot who contracted the omicron virus.

One has to evaluate his vaccination record. he has received 2 shots of AZ and one booster of Pfizer.

Totally different vaccine composition which could reduce the body immune system

the " pass and go" program needs to consider the type of vaccination taken.  Only MRNA vaccines are consider stronger against any mutation of the virus.

Now ,they are looking at quarantine for 7-10 days for the people entering Thailand.

If Thailand always reacted to every mutation variance, there will be no tourist coming over .The worst part, few airlines will fly to Thailand either case.

• Confused 1

the reality is that the whole world is reacting to this omicron virus.

Many countries are laying plans against the spread of this virus. Tourists will not travel for a while. It is best to assume that the Thai tourism industry will not recover until 2023.

the main issue for Thailand is that they depend heavily on tourism because the country does not have another  business programs to employ their population with decent salary

the Education level is below standard with poor foreign language skills. 

• Like 1

Christmas and New Year events are still scheduled for large groups of people.  What could go wrong?  The slow development of Omicron symptoms does not fit in the present quarantine calculations.  Are the symptoms for elderly people mild?  Perhaps the severity of symptoms will depend on the strength of the infected person's immune system.  I believe that American hospitals are full of people infected with the Omicron variant.

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thailand has made it clear that it doesn't want the type of tourists who need to pay for a holiday in installments.

They have declared that now, only the uber wealthy are welcome to dodge hanging power cables and soi dog faeces on the broken pavements of Thai tourist areas ????.

As far as I can see, it is not Thailand that is the problem or the majority of the Thai people, but the people "running" the country. They either have no idea what they are doing or they have been given instructions by someone who must not be disobeyed.

It really doesn't matter who has ordered it, but Thailand and all its people are teetering on a very slippery slope leading to nowhere and unless the people are very careful, it will only take a little push in the wrong direction and Thailand will be lost, except of course the HiSos and the very rich senior generals.

• Like 2