Emerging Obesity in Thailand's female youth.

Jenkins9039

Has anyone else noticed how 'fat' the kids are these days (predominantly girls) in Thailand, in over a decade here i've noticed the 10-20 yr old girls are now ballooning in size.

Boys seem to be taller and slender (still), girls on the other hand have legs wider than some of the girls my age group (30-40).

What happened, and why are the Government not intervening for the sake of their health if anything, it's like another epidemic waiting to blow up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

The bad food is cheap and more accessible, with bags of chips, candy, and soda at the liquor stores fattening them up. The good food is expensive and out of reach, with fresh produce and healthy options at the expensive supermarkets.

bad food is more expensive but requires way less effort and tastes better. that is the problem.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

It seems to be quite hard for people to avoid eating the myriad of sugary, salty, oily, buttery, doughy, fried calorific goods being marketed, advertised and displayed by all those food businesses to the public to consume.

Of course the govt is mainly interested in the things these businesses produce; tax revenue and employment for people.

Don't understand where the people find money for eating out as many of these things consumed each day can add up to about USD 10 per visit.

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Twenty years ago, Diabetes type-2 was practically unheard of in age groups under 18.  Today it is at epidemic levels, and it's no coincidence that this epidemic rise coincides with the increasing popularity of fast-foods, 24 hour supermarkets, and targeted snack marketing towards children.

Which coincides with the introduction of multiple vaccinations for young children.

Diabetes is an immune system problem.

https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/is-type-2-diabetes-an-autoimmune-diease#what-the-research-says

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Sorry to disagree with you but if you look at purely science based research in the last few years instead of outdated dogma, diabetes type-2 has been found to be entirely a metabolic based condition specifically related to desensitized insulin response.  The research overwhelmingly show this to be a fact.

From the link I posted ........ (which was updated in 2020)

"What the research says
Early research suggests that the two types of diabetes may have more in common than previously believed. In the last decade, researchers have tested the idea that type 2 diabetes is an autoimmune disease, similar to type 1 diabetes.

Researchers have found evidence that insulin resistance may be the result of immune system cells attacking the body’s tissues. These cells are designed to produce the antibodies that fight invading bacteria, germs, and viruses.

In people with type 2 diabetes, these cells may mistakenly attack healthy tissue."

• Haha 2

Rice, noodles and sugary foods are the staples.  Vegetables at street food or rode side places are rare.  The popular then ever 800 calorie Carnation milk sugar syrup coffee drinks Thais seem clueless what a terrible drink that is actually better to drink a can of Coke then that garbage. But I doubt they will ever catch up to the triple size stuff your face U.S. or UK the majority just a bunch of disgusting fat people.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Being called fat or tubby in Thailand is considered a compliment and not a derogatory name.

Fat-shaming in the West is now basically a hate crime. Thailand will get there eventually.

That is not true in our village. The only two fat kids, both boys, are virtually ostracized and other than going to school, never appear outside. My wife confirmed that it's because the other kids poke fun at them and don't want them in 'their gang'.

I have to admit that I too have a 'fat prejudice' nature and don't feel comfortable when the boy's fat mother calls by our house.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That is not true in our village. The only two fat kids, both boys, are virtually ostracized and other than going to school, never appear outside. My wife confirmed that it's because the other kids poke fun at them and don't want them in 'their gang'.

I have to admit that I too have a 'fat prejudice' nature and don't feel comfortable when the boy's fat mother calls by our house.

Me too!

I always assume if they have no respect for their own bodies, they probably won't have much respect for me, and are therefor best avoided.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

When I first came here in the early eighties obesity was about as rare as a horse in a hammock, these days with exposure to western diets, heavily processed foods and a sedentary lifestyle it's all gone to $h*t.

Active for kids these days doesn't mean running about expending some energy it means highly developed thumbs attuned to the mobile or game console. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What caused that? I'm asking because I can't work out where my prejudice/discomfort comes from. I have worked with some great overweight women, but for some reason would always try to avoid spending any free time with them.  Being in close proximity makes me uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Which coincides with the introduction of multiple vaccinations for young children.

Diabetes is an immune system problem.

https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/is-type-2-diabetes-an-autoimmune-diease#what-the-research-says

There is "nothing"  in that article suggesting or even mentioning that vaccinations could be a reason for type #2 Diabetes. 

3 hours ago, mancub said:

I've yet to come a village yet that doesn't  have a fruit/veg market !????

True we have one weekly but how many thai farmers and families eat the stuff daily my local emporium sells Beer,(various flavours) whisky, lao kao crisps sweets a myriad of sugary pops  and every sort of pot noodle type thing you can buy

He does a daily roaring trade

Think the extra  weight on Thai girls/boys may come from too much sugar from junk food and sugary drinks. Their increase in hight/size is probably from the steroids added to beef to make bigger cows and hormones added to chiken to make them have bigger breasts ( that has caused girls maturing early) as cooking does not destroy the steroids or hormones in animal flesh. We have a niece who won't be 12 untill next Apil. Her mother is well off and feeds her the best steak and  chiken and other foods. She is not fat as she is very active in sports but she at 11 is already slighly taller than my wife who 5'3"  and weighs 52 kilo which is 4 kilo more than my wife.

• Haha 1