How do I explain Christmas to the misses.

sipi

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Its simply a commercial time period of the year exploited by retail and the media  based on an historic religious story

In short a fiary tale exploited to extract money under the guise of a claimed religious event that no one can neither prove nor disprove.

????

It has got very commercial and celebrated by me as a traditional thing rather than religious. 

Same could be said of Halloween. 

8 hours ago, sipi said:

I told her about the three wise men and the virgin, and she didn't understand what I was talking about.

Was it a communication issue or a cultural one. 

I enjoy religious discussions with my wife but I am quite ignorant in Thai religious vocabulary. 

You don't!  You just have to accept that  you choose to merger two different  cultures,  and ride that trick pony until it's done.  You may be able to draw her pictures,  buy books, and send her to school but most things she will never fully understand!

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing in the Bible that relates to what you wrote.

Who is the 70 year old guy, and who is his virgin bride?

Can't be Joseph and Mary as she was already pregnant before they got married- the Bible is pretty clear about that.

In Mary's case, she was both a virgin and pregnant on her wedding day as God impregnated her via "immaculate conception".

My mother claimed the same throughout her life, even swearing on her deathbed, in Lourdes, that it was the truth. Her name was Mary.

Edited by polpott
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Sorry but it is, or it should be.  Its actually just a pagan festival, passed down through the ages, and then highjacked by Christians. The rest is myth and historical fantasy, dreamed up by story tellers for the entertainment of the ignorant masses.  Now we use TV to basically achieve the same thing.  

Yes, I'm aware that it was a hijacked pagan festival.

I'd like to see it banned as a public holiday as it just gives rise to people spending money they don't have to buy presents for people that don't like what they get.

It should just be a special service for Christians that actually go to church.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Should have told her about the 70 year old guy and his 14 year old virgin bride.

Then when the old guy is asleep an 'angel' sneaks in and impregnates his virgin wife.

Many Thai women could relate to that story!

Yes, this would be a good explanation. 

Just substitute the 'angel' for a 

Ghost or Ladyboy 

Do yourself a favor... DON'T. Or if you must...

The birthday celebration of a cosmic Jewish Zombie born of a virgin who can make you live forever if you telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in all humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

:cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Do yourself a favor... DON'T. Or if you must...

The birthday celebration of a cosmic Jewish Zombie born of a virgin who can make you live forever if you telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in all humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

:cheesy:

That's it i'm off to the land of Nod to begat myself a wife or <deleted> my mum as she is the only female in the whole world. What utter non-sense that stupid book is.

• Like 1

You'll have to stop and read the 'panels' as they are shown, but this is it in a condensed form and maybe the easiest to explain. 

BTW, it's historical. The Jews recorded the events, but they interpreted things differently, which is why they do not use the New Testament part of the Bible.

https://www.whychristmas.com/story/video_christmas_story.shtml

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

You'll have to stop and read the 'panels' as they are shown, but this is it in a condensed form and maybe the easiest to explain. 

BTW, it's historical. The Jews recorded the events, but they interpreted things differently, which is why they do not use the New Testament part of the Bible.

https://www.whychristmas.com/story/video_christmas_story.shtml

The Jews do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah, so obviously they don't use the New Testament, which is the basis of Christianity, though IMO it didn't take the men in funny hats long to corrupt the message.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As it is, other than the mention at the start, he seems to vanish from the Bible once they return from Egypt. Does Jesus call him father etc. I guess he dies before Jesus becomes a preacher, as never mentioned again. Even Jesus's mother just gets a last sentence or two before he dies.

Joseph is not mentioned apart from when they thought he was lost traveling back from Jerusalem as a 12yo, but Jesus's two brothers and sister are, so he must have been around for a while.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Jews do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah, so obviously they don't use the New Testament, which is the basis of Christianity, though IMO it didn't take the men in funny hats long to corrupt the message.

Christmas is a festival invented by the Christians which then then used to spread their religion and destroy the original religions and cultures of whatever countries they invaded.

For example, in the UK Christmas was imposed over the original festival of the pagans where mid winter was celebrated and sacrifices were made to their gods.

That is why we have things like Christmas trees, yuletide logs and mistletoe...which were all part of the original pagan festival.

These and the gift giving, father Christmas, red and green decorations, Holly etc are still left over from these beliefs and are not part of the Christian Christmas...they are not in the Bible. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

Christmas is a festival invented by the Christians which then then used to spread their religion and destroy the original religions and cultures of whatever countries they invaded.

For example, in the UK Christmas was imposed over the original festival of the pagans where mid winter was celebrated and sacrifices were made to their gods.

That is why we have things like Christmas trees, yuletide logs and mistletoe...which were all part of the original pagan festival.

These and the gift giving, father Christmas, red and green decorations, Holly etc are still left over from these beliefs and are not part of the Christian Christmas...they are not in the Bible. 

The message that Christ taught was of love ( not the romantic sort, but love of fellow man ), but unfortunately humans primary motivation is IMO greed. Riches now usually trump heaven later.

• Thanks 1