How do I explain Christmas to the misses.

sipi

Assuming she knows nothing about its history. That’s very good. Here is one explanation. “It is a very important period in Christian calendar. It’s a time that wives pay respect to husbands. It is bad luck to refuse any request coming from him. If in warm climate You must wear a red bikini ???? have the fridge stocked with your husband’s cold beer and more importantly never allow him without one in his hand. Contrary to these practices results in a year long visit by the Ghost of Christmas every night who will bring you misery. 

• Haha 1

Christmas is the time christians

(and some who do not define themselves as christians but still)

celebrate the birth of christ (represented by jesus christ).

Christ is the term for universal love.

(The original word "christo" is ancient greek as far as i know and yes it is not a historical date of the birth of jesus from nazareth. the date is kind of symbolic, but that does not matter. - like all the known bhudda bones in the world would make a huge person, yet there must some be lost over the time. - it is spiritual/symbolic.)

You may then point out the way the tree is decorated and children or even grown ups get gifts as a sign of love, the celebration and so on. The net and pics found there even with thai descriptions may help here. That may include the legend.

For myself i experienced most thais, even in the far country side, being well aware of christmas as the birthday of jesus christ as a spiritual teacher of western beliefs. Of course they don't usually have much details, but so do the westerners.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:36 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

Tell her there were 3 old farangs who all thought they were wise. 

They all met the same Thai woman who told them she was a 30 year old virgin (she was really a 45 year old mother of two)

All three "wise" farangs showered her with gifts and sent her money because she told each of them she was their girlfriend.

Then one day she told all three of the farangs that she was pregnant and the baby was theirs.   She started a bidding war to see who would offer the biggest Sin Sod and marry her. 

The three farangs all thought they were going to become kings in their new home and came rushing to marry their virgin bride.

They each bought her some land and built her a house.  (The land already belonged to her family but the "wise men" didn't need to know they were paying for land she already owned)

Once the houses were built and everything was in her name she had her 'brother' (who was really her Thai husband) chase the wise men away and they returned to their miserable existence back in their home countries.

And the Thai woman and all her Thai family lived happily ever after in the three houses she now owned. 

Spot on sir indeed

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2021 at 12:36 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

chase the wise men away and they returned to their miserable existence back in their home countries.

Aaaah, is this why we see so many miserable, nasty, angry, negative, hostile comments? 

Too many wise men making comments on AN that have returned to their miserable existence. 

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Aaaah, is this why we see so many miserable, nasty, angry, negative, hostile comments? 

Too many wise men making comments on AN that have returned to their miserable existence. 

Come on. It's a joke!

104315908_3714221871923376_5363081404927016701_n.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't find it funny when miserable members send you comments like this below. 

IMG_20211231_001104.jpg

That's not a joke. Just plain vindictive and spiteful. But what I commented on was a joke. But then some people don't have a sense of humour.

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

That's not a joke. Just plain vindictive and spiteful. But what I commented on was a joke. But then some people don't have a sense of humour.

What I was commenting on was why there were so many miserable, nasty, angry, negative comments by members. 

Clitimut visitors just arived , no donkey but mini bus.

Ok , the Romans decided to get rid of pagan , end of the year , dark going new light coming so despite Jesus being born around August they moved his birthday to December. to eradicate paganism.

Someone may have said that but no time to go through another 4 pages , visitors need refreshment.

Oh oh the 3 wisemen were sent to kill jesus too.

On 12/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

You probably  have insuficient knowledge to explain the story  of the birth of jesus in roman occupied Jerusalem, the census, and the role of herod in murdering all babies, the flight to Bethlehem and the subsequent search for a place to stay

"You probably have insufficient (misspelt) knowledge" lol.

Considering Jesus of Nazareth, born 25 December, was actually born Yeshua Bin Yosef (Joshua son of Joseph) in September about 4bc. No I don't have insufficient knowledge.

I just can't be bothered.