Bank statement 12 month or 6 month for 800K retirement extension

For a friend who will extend his stay based retirement (non-o) with 800K in the bank early January at Pathum Thani immigration office.

He does have this slip in his passport that he had to show 800K 3 months, and 400K 6 months after his 1st extension last year, which he did.

Some confusion about required bank statement for this immigration office, also because he already reported as per above mentioned.

Does he require a 12 month (takes about a week to get) or is 6 month (takes 5 min to get) bank statement ok?

Most immigration offices do not require bank statements for money in bank method.

A Photocopy of bankbook pages for previous 12 months is sufficient along with bank letter and update and deposit/withdrawal same day as application.

Disregard the fact that office asked for check post 3 months previous extension. That's a bs requirement as is also done/not done at Jomtien. The io will look at bankbook from date of previous extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Chiang Mai require a 12 month bank statement .but don't ask to report after 

3 months. if I was you I would be asking at Pathum Thani  immigration office

if 12 months statement is required, different offices, different requirements.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

PathumThani required a 12-month bank statement for each of my last two annual retirement extensions.  This is despite the fact they also examined my passbook at 3-month and 6-month intervals after the last two extensions.  In addition to the 12-month statement, they also require a bank letter and an updated passbook when one applies for an extension.

• Thanks 1

@Resident Alien

I think it really depends on your branch instead of nation-wide ruling.

In Chiang Mai, they do require a 12 months bank statement to ensure that the balance didn't drop below 800k.

This is in addition to the bank book photocopies, I know it sounds like double work but that's Thai immigration.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Statement or not they do need to see ALL transactions going back to the previous extension. Some offices will accept a copy of the passbook if you don't have aggregate entries.

Not "some offices".

The vast majority of immigration offices require photocopies of bank book pages only and not bank statements.

The photocopies would need to dated back to previous extension to show that the required balances were maintained as per the requirements.

A recommendation to anyone using money in bank method....   have a designated bank account for extension purposes. 

Yeah I'm sure its somewhat office dependent like so many other things.

My experience at Jomtien is that one year I provided the bank statement to be proactive as I had some aggregate entries and the next year I didn't because my passbook showed everything.

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

In Chiang Mai, they do require a 12 months bank statement to ensure that the balance didn't drop below 800k

Was not aware that CM immigration were also stupid.

I use FD account maintain the 800k + funds ongoing. 

Guess I could obtain a bank statement if CW ever joins the stupid queue.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, pablo el sueco said:

PathumThani required a 12-month bank statement for each of my last two annual retirement extensions.  This is despite the fact they also examined my passbook at 3-month and 6-month intervals after the last two extensions.  In addition to the 12-month statement, they also require a bank letter and an updated passbook when one applies for an extension.

Thanks all for the replies.

I will advise to get 12 month bank statement to go with all other docs.

Rules in each and every office are different. Obvious too difficult for all offices to follow the same rules set by the government.

As long as you know what office requires which documents it is an easy process to get an extension of stay.

The 3, 6 months report , 12 month bank statement, bank letter and copies of bank book seems to be a bit too much proof that money in the bank was as required.

2 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:

The 3, 6 months report , 12 month bank statement, bank letter and copies of bank book seems to be a bit too much proof that money in the bank was as required.

Agree completely.

Some folk live nearby their immigration office and for some it's a day long return trip. 

Reporting back at both 3 and 6 months is just plain ridiculous. Especially given that the requirements can be checked upon your next extension.

I have never read a report of where this bluff was called out and next annual extension was refused.

Jomtien do the 3 month return visit.

Recent reports regarding 3 month return is that it's not recorded and in fact when asked what happens if report is not made....Answer: "nothing"

• Thanks 1

I took a 3 month bank statement for my extension last January here in Samui, and was sent away to get a 12 month statement.

When I asked why 3 months wasn't good enough, I was told, " Because that's what the boss wants."

Next one I will be taking a 12 month statement.

Samui is particularly difficult compared to others. Always asking for more and more documents.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I took a 3 month bank statement for my extension last January here in Samui, and was sent away to get a 12 month statement.

When I asked why 3 months wasn't good enough, I was told, " Because that's what the boss wants."

Next one I will be taking a 12 month statement.

Samui is particularly difficult compared to others. Always asking for more and more documents.

It's the same with Chiang Mai. 

When I first came here many years ago, they didn't require bank statement and 90 days report.  

Nowadays, they  even require my bank book to be updated on the same date as the bank letter even though the amount is the same as the bank letter. I didn't make any withdrawal or deposit one week before the bank letter.

I explained to imm., if there are no withdrawal/deposit, the bank book will not be updated even if we put the book under the machine.

This is a pain in the ass.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, Resident Alien said:

I can understand the requirement for past 12 month bank statement because there are cases of people who didn't have the financial requirement going to agent for help.

But then immigration shouldn't require us to photocopy the bank book pages as well since they don't trust the bank book entries.

It seems like double work to me.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Nowadays, they  even require my bank book to be updated on the same date as the bank letter even though the amount is the same as the bank letter. I didn't make any withdrawal or deposit one week before the bank letter

What's the issue.

When obtaining the bank letter make a small deposit/withdrawal that shows activity and update and matching bank letter.

Common requirement at many immigration offices. CW being one example. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Statement or not they do need to see ALL transactions going back to the previous extension. Some offices will accept a copy of the passbook if you don't have aggregate entries.

Indeed. My passbook gets updated once a year -- on the day I go to Immigration for extension renewal. In the interim, I've had two interest payments, and two tax withholding actions. These show up in a consolidated entry, where also any dip below 800k/400k, and then a subsequent redeposit, would not show up as separate line entries -- but only in the consolidated entry. Thus, the obvious reason Immigration needs to see the 12 month bank letter -- 'cause photocopies of my passbook would only show the consolidated entry, not the separate line items that would tell them whether or not I've been a bad boy. Why does this forum continuously ask the question, "why do some Immigration offices require a 12 month bank letter?"

Was not aware that CM immigration were also stupid.

They're not. Read the above re 12 month bank letters, then reevaluate why you don't understand their efficacy at many Immigration offices.

I explained to imm., if there are no withdrawal/deposit, the bank book will not be updated even if we put the book under the machine.

Not true with Bangkok Bank. Passbook updates just move the previous balance forward one line, with today's date affixed.

But then immigration shouldn't require us to photocopy the bank book pages as well since they don't trust the bank book entries.

CM Imm doesn't require photocopies of all passbook pages, just today's balance. The 12 month bank statement will give them all the info they need, including whether or not you slipped below the 800/400k established floors. Screw up? Probably no extension renewal and an invite to buy a ticket back to home country.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JimGant said:

They're not. Read the above re 12 month bank letters, then reevaluate why you don't understand their efficacy at many Immigration offices

Try reading my post again.

Did not mention bank letter anywhere.

Bank letter is a standard requirement at immigration offices and rightly so.

What is NOT required at most immigration offices (CW one example)  is bank statements for "money in the bank method"

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What is NOT required at most immigration offices (CW one example)  is bank statements for "money in the bank method"

Yeah, but as previously elaborated upon, CM does require such bank letters for the obvious reasons reported, namely, photocopies of bank book will not show a consolidated entry that disguises going below the 800/400k mandated floor. Wha's so hard to understand?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Not sure if you've overdone the Xmas turps but what a ludicrous comment! Besides that I do my annual extensions at CW and they also insist on a 12 months of statements from my bank along with the bank book.

So there is two CW offices. 

At my CW office they are certainly NOT required.

Photocopies on bankbook pages together with bank letter and deposit/withdrawal on day of application is the standard requirement.

Some time ago a poster was explaining that he was required to obtain bank statements.

Turns out he was using his bank account for many online transactions per day.

In that case his transactions were being consolidated.

Edit: Realized that you may be providing statements using "income method".

If in fact you are using money in bank method your bank statements are not required. Perhaps you provided that just being unaware of what's required

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, but as previously elaborated upon, CM does require such bank letters for the obvious reasons reported, namely, photocopies of bank book will not show a consolidated entry that disguises going below the 800/400k mandated floor. Wha's so hard to understand?

I don't know the number of transactions per month after which the bank consolidates transaction. I think it's 20 or 30. That was a thread in itself some time ago. 

In any event I suggest to folk to use a designated bank account for immigration purposes. 

I repeat in vast majority of extensions obtained at CW bank statements are NOT required.

Perhaps bank statements at CM is just another hurdle they invented. 

• Like 1

On the 15th of every month I withdraw 100 Bt from my dedicated 800k account and update my passbook, also on the day I intend to get the extension. The bank letters are still required. After looking at the signed photocopies of the bank book, they usually hand it back to me. This is Phuket immigration.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's the same with Chiang Mai. 

When I first came here many years ago, they didn't require bank statement and 90 days report.  

Nowadays, they  even require my bank book to be updated on the same date as the bank letter even though the amount is the same as the bank letter. I didn't make any withdrawal or deposit one week before the bank letter.

This is a pain in the ass.

i think some make a small deposit, say 100 baht into their account before updating so that it does indeed update.

I still don't get why immigration needs 12 months of statemetns when I only need 800K in the account 3 months before applying for the retirement extension.  I'd think 3 months statement is what is necessary.  Just more hoops and red tape to lord over the extensioneers is my opinion. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I still don't get why immigration needs 12 months of statemetns when I only need 800K in the account 3 months before applying for the retirement extension.  I'd think 3 months statement is what is necessary.  Just more hoops and red tape to lord over the extensioneers is my opinion. 

Since March of 2019 you need the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply and then for 3 months after that day and then 400k baht until you top up your account to 800k baht for the next extension.

The above is why some offices want 12 months of bank statements

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There are approx 75 imm offices and fortunately the vast majority do not require statements.

Hua Hin is another that likes bank statements going back 12 months. Really is not a problem to get that as long as you let the bank know as many have to revert back to Head Office and it can take 5 days. I get a 12 month and a 6 month which covers all eventualities.

One of the reasons for statements is that if you have a separate account for the 800k, there is little to no activity to show in a passbook and they like a statement as evidence.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, worrab said:

Hua Hin is another that likes bank statements going back 12 months. Really is not a problem to get that as long as you let the bank know as many have to revert back to Head Office and it can take 5 days. I get a 12 month and a 6 month which covers all eventualities.

One of the reasons for statements is that if you have a separate account for the 800k, there is little to no activity to show in a passbook and they like a statement as evidence.   

Add Nonthaburi onto that list

• Like 1