Grim worst case for Thailand next year if people lower their guard against COVID-19

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The goalposts have been moved from deaths to hospitalizations (which are also low).  If the hospitalization fear mongering doesn’t work, then it will be shifted to “long Omicron”.  If that doesn’t pan out, they’ll come up with something, rest assured.

Sounds like a fake "plandemic" narrative.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Benmart said:

The next variant will get similar alarm bells and hysteria. I have yet to see the dead lining the streets. Yes, deaths have occured, but did these people die "from" or "with" Covid? If you belief every statistic or announcement from government or self-appointed experts, I suggest doing some critical investigation. 

Fact-oriented people  with a critical mind would compare the number of official Covid-19 deaths with the number of total excess deaths in order to find out if it makes sense (it does), Instead of making the same old debunked B.S. claim.

https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

14 minutes ago, Metapod said:

you are all sheep. have fun wearing masks for the rest of your lives.

Sigh.......another one who believes people who wear masks are sheeple. Guess Doctor's who perform surgeries etc..should not wear a mask for you.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, peter zwart said:

Then i would go for option one if it seems that Omicron is not realy dangerous anymore.

I belileve my reaction to the sencond Moderna shot was worse than what Omicron gives you. Plus the antibodies built up from both are about the same.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, candide said:

Ahem... The death rate for Covid-19 in the USA is 248.76 per 100,000, not 6 death per 100,000.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

1. I was responding to a post that stated the rate at 6:100,000 (citing CDC data)

2. Here's some more CDC data along the same lines.

588837693_ScreenShot2021-12-28at16_47_06.jpg.e181ca26af6811482c58a2140322f112.jpg

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

9 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

1. I was responding to a post that stated the rate at 6:100,000 (citing CDC data)

2. Here's some more CDC data along the same lines.

588837693_ScreenShot2021-12-28at16_47_06.jpg.e181ca26af6811482c58a2140322f112.jpg

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

The time periods are not comparable. The CDC data you show are weekly rates. What you showed before about influenza were the rates for the whole 2019-2020 season.

To be honest the 248 Covid deaths rate likely includes two seasons, so to make it comparable it would be logical to multiply the influenza rate by two. So around 12 for influenza compared to 248 for Covid-19.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Opinions vary greatly amongst how and where one picks up the virus.,,,,,so many different ways even wearing a mask.  Yet you and others keep spouting the rhetoric as "The mask protects others from you, yet it works the other way around as well, unless you never breathe in.......

No rhetoric,  just posting my experience, funny how other people's are rhetoric but your own views should never be challenged , I'm sure the filters in your mask are made to filter covid though!

13 minutes ago, Adywhu said:

No rhetoric,  just posting my experience, funny how other people's are rhetoric but your own views should never be challenged , I'm sure the filters in your mask are made to filter covid though!

What filters would that be as a KN95 has no filters.

20211228_184216.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan

28 minutes ago, Adywhu said:

Think you are talking about valves, all surgical masks have filters.

No they have layers which fiter out the particles....next.

How to Improve Filtration

Another important step to increase the protection offered by your mask is to improve filtration. Masks capture respiratory droplets containing the virus when the wearer breathes out, blocking them from reaching the outside air and protecting others. They also serve as a barrier to protect the wearer by capturing respiratory droplets containing the virus breathed out by others, so that the wearer does not breathe them in. A mask with improved filtration will stop more respiratory droplets containing the virus from getting inside your mask if others are sick or escaping from your mask if you are sick.

Layering

Adding more layers of material to a mask (layering) is a good way to reduce the number of respiratory droplets containing the virus that come through the mask. One layering strategy is to use a cloth mask that has multiple layers of fabric. Another strategy is to wear two masks.

Improve Mask Fit and Filtration by Wearing Two Masks

Wearing a second mask on top of a first mask can

• Improve fit by pressing the inner mask closer to the face, thereby reducing the amount of air that leaks around the edges of the masks.
  • Improve filtration by adding more layers of material to reduce the number of respiratory droplets containing the virus that come through the masks.

One way to do this is to wear a medical procedure mask underneath a cloth mask. A recent study conducted in a laboratory found that this combination provided much better protection to the wearer and to others as compared with a cloth mask by itself or a medical procedure mask by itself.

Edited by ThailandRyan

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still double masking myself with a KN95 and a Cloth KN95 over the paper one on our trips out. Gotta love the looks I get from the unmasked foreigners.  The look of "This guy is afraid of the world". Nope, sorry but being safe and protecting oneself while enjoying life is not an issue for me.      

I rarely go out but when I do I mask up & so does the mrs, we only mix with people we know have been double jabbed, as she is younger than me she also does all the shopping, but she is pretty savvy & masks up, takes alcohol hand cleanser with her & keeps a very big gap between her and others in the supermarket, also cleans everything at home before it goes in a cupboard.

I have told her it's not necessary but all I get back is " better safe than sorry " can't argue with that.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I rarely go out but when I do I mask up & so does the mrs, we only mix with people we know have been double jabbed, as she is younger than me she also does all the shopping, but she is pretty savvy & masks up, takes alcohol hand cleanser with her & keeps a very big gap between her and others in the supermarket, also cleans everything at home before it goes in a cupboard.

I have told her it's not necessary but all I get back is " better safe than sorry " can't argue with that.

+1 on that.

• Like 2

Sure to spread rapidly. One perfect reason for this is what I see on a daily basis. Thais pulling down their masks to sneeze. Absolutely unbelievable. 

p.s. I haven't had a cold for almost 2 years. Not usual for me.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

@neverere555 sorry you're confused. Let me clarify. I'm off to BKK in a week...then Udon...and then Chiang Mai. Gonna party like it's 19-f'n-99!!! Not that the party ever stopped here for me all this year here!

And just to be perfectly crystal clear...full disclosure...was in BKK for NYE 1999 into 2000. It was a BLAST ????. Gonna make all 3 cities even better this time! :partytime2:

????????????

Hope this clears it up! ????

• Confused 1

guard up or down won't make a difference because everyone will catch the virus at some point. This is just setting the stage to blame people for the inevitable. But given it's low virulence and hospitalization rate catching it is not a cause for alarm. But the media worldwide can't resist a good crisis even if it must be created.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

No they have layers which fiter out the particles....next.

How to Improve Filtration

Another important step to increase the protection offered by your mask is to improve filtration. Masks capture respiratory droplets containing the virus when the wearer breathes out, blocking them from reaching the outside air and protecting others. They also serve as a barrier to protect the wearer by capturing respiratory droplets containing the virus breathed out by others, so that the wearer does not breathe them in. A mask with improved filtration will stop more respiratory droplets containing the virus from getting inside your mask if others are sick or escaping from your mask if you are sick.

Layering

Adding more layers of material to a mask (layering) is a good way to reduce the number of respiratory droplets containing the virus that come through the mask. One layering strategy is to use a cloth mask that has multiple layers of fabric. Another strategy is to wear two masks.

Improve Mask Fit and Filtration by Wearing Two Masks

Wearing a second mask on top of a first mask can

• Improve fit by pressing the inner mask closer to the face, thereby reducing the amount of air that leaks around the edges of the masks.
  • Improve filtration by adding more layers of material to reduce the number of respiratory droplets containing the virus that come through the masks.

One way to do this is to wear a medical procedure mask underneath a cloth mask. A recent study conducted in a laboratory found that this combination provided much better protection to the wearer and to others as compared with a cloth mask by itself or a medical procedure mask by itself.

I've been wearing 2 surgical masks since Delta arrived. Been wearing a mask almost since the beginning of the pandemic.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is exactly that doom and gloom fear factor, that many of the authorities seem to be loving at the moment. Keep the public petrified and no change takes place. 

The sky is falling. The boogie man is coming. This is the Zombie Apocalypse. 

Viruses don't care about our politics, frustration, and exhaustion that this situation is lasting for years.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is exactly that doom and gloom fear factor, that many of the authorities seem to be loving at the moment. Keep the public petrified and no change takes place. 

The sky is falling. The boogie man is coming. This is the Zombie Apocalypse. 

Damnit then...we need John Wick as it is he you call when you want the boogie man killed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Viruses don't care about our politics, frustration, and exhaustion that this situation is lasting for years.

While it might be true that Covid does not care about politics, there is no doubt that the leaders in Thailand have been using Covid as a cover and that this virus may have saved the dinosaurs from extinction! 

• Like 2