Grim economic outlook in Thailand if an Omicron outbreak drags on for months

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, Capella said:

News coming out of places where omicron was first observed, like South Africa, indicates that Omicron is more like a common cold for the vast majority of people who catch it. I'm one of those people for me it was just a cold and was over in a few days.

Omicron is good news - it only causes mild illness, and because it's so contagious it's displacing covid strains that can cause more serious illness - for example Omicron now accounts for 90% of new cases in the UK. Due to the rapid onset and shorter course of Omicron, isolation periods are being reduced to just five days after a positive test in the US, seven in the UK, ten in Australia, and zero days for asymptomatic but positive cases in South Africa.

Unless a more virulent strain that's more transmissible than Omicron appears very quickly, the pandemic is thankfully nearing it's end.

Not been reading news from France,Italy,UK then,numbers sky rocketing,and coming Thailand's way

• Confused 1

Just now, Capella said:

The numbers are certainly skyrocketing, but hospitalisations aren't. Read my post again - omicron is extremely transmissible, but causes much less serious disease than previous covid strains. 

Not even a foothold as yet in Thailand,give it a week or so

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

It's unstoppable, but it isn't severe. For me and nearly everyone else, it's just like a common cold. 

I'm just getting over it,"just like a common cold"   I think not,10 days of misery  and Asians are far more prone to pneumonia

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Capella said:

News coming out of places where omicron was first observed, like South Africa, indicates that Omicron is more like a common cold for the vast majority of people who catch it. I'm one of those people for me it was just a cold and was over in a few days.

Running like wildfire in the US!! Not just a cold!!

My 26 year old daughter came down with it three days ago, since then a friend and four other relatives tested positive. All this time I did not personally know of anyone who had covid , In a couple of days I know six. 

My Daughter is running a fever and says had the worst body pain she ever experienced, Her partner was throwing  up all last night. Let's hope you are right and it is only a severe flue. but certainly not "Just a cold" .

Don't get complaisant, don't take any chances.  err on the side of caution. 

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai economists have expressed concern that an outbreak of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, if it drags on for a long period, will severely impact Thailand’s economic growth.

Expect the first half of next year to be disrupted.

24 minutes ago, sirineou said:

My 26 year old daughter came down with it three days ago, since then a friend and four other relatives tested positive. All this time I did not personally know of anyone who had covid , In a couple of days I know six. 

My Daughter is running a fever and says had the worst body pain she ever experienced, Her partner was throwing  up all last night. Let's hope you are right and it is only a severe flue. but certainly not "Just a cold" .

The severity will as expected effect people differently but according to this report you're right, its certainly not just a case of a cold.

From a science health writer he gives a good lowdown on catching it:

"Based on my virtual doctor’s description, my symptoms started mild, before the effects moved toward being moderate and then circled back to mildish. Imagine feeling teeth-chattering chills, a stifling cough and slight shortness of breath — on and off every six hours.

To track my situation before it could progress to a dangerous state, my private health care provider advised that I obtain a pulse oximeter

No one should be surprised that I was infected even while boosted. Based on the latest findings from the United Kingdom, the omicron variant is already starting to break through a booster shot’s barrier against infection, though protection against severe disease will be retained for most people."

https://gothamist.com/news/what-a-mild-to-moderate-omicron-case-feels-like

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sirineou said:

sounds like they are spreading it everywhere ....  they all have to self isolate and get tested.  

and let the neighbours know also,  don't go out buying food and spreading it,  order grab or delivery.

I am sure that there are people and specific industries/areas that have suffered financially. I live in Phuket and have seen kata and karon for myself. But at the same time, I am in Udon for Xmas and new year and this place is very busy. Every restaurant I have been in has been bustling if not full and plenty of Thais eating high end all you can eat buffets at 800baht per person!

based on what is happening in Udon town, you would not know there is a pandemic let alone financial distress as a result.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Capella said:

The numbers are certainly skyrocketing, but hospitalisations aren't. Read my post again - omicron is extremely transmissible, but causes much less serious disease than previous covid strains. 

According to the bbc website, Uk hospitalizations have risen rapidly though. Particularly in London. Highest since last March. Just no where near the previous peak.

so omicron May be less serious for most, but maybe not for all and the sheer number of cases may cause large scale hospitalizations. 

a lot of maybe’s in the above,Englands suck it and see strategy will reveal very useful information for other countries.

2 hours ago, fredscats said:

Not been reading news from France,Italy,UK then,numbers sky rocketing,and coming Thailand's way

France today 180 K positives.

If Thailand ever gets just 10 % of those numbers that need Hospital care, its going to be really bad for the Country

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 1

Surely we need more pharma expertise , more convicted drug dealers in power. If only TAT can assure millions of Hi-Sos who are not price sensitive that LOS is so much safer than safer, cleaner less hassle than their usual picks, Mustique, Martinique, Seychelles, Biarritz, Maui, costa Esmerelda, Marquesas, Aitutaki , Reunion, Bermuda, Bahamas and Caymans.

I'm sure such folk don't have professional advisors aware of the sleaze , nepotism , corruption in Land of Flip Flops