Is It Safe To Have A Booster 3 Months After 2 Shots Pfizer?

Chris.B

As I'm a Brit, I look at the NHS website for advice. Apparently Pfizer and 50% Moderna boosters are advised in the UK at 3 months - so I guess it would be safe. But in Thailand, can you can get it ?

(I'm torn - I had Covid in June and SINCE then, 2 x Pfizer - some reports say that gives high protection so atm I'll probably wait for the 6 month window which will be March 3rd) .

• Haha 1

There is "safe". And there is "available".

Government (national, provincial and Bangkok) all are ruled as independent fiefdoms, as are local (district, subdistrict, village) health administrations.

For Pfizer 2X still not seeing a lot of reports of government issued boosters at less than six months. Are there exceptions? Of course. Can you get a paid Moderna booster? Yes, of course. Might this have changed overnight? Yes, of course.

Regarding safety, an older thai woman received her second dose of AZ a few minutes after her first dose, so any safety (theoretical, practical) issues need to be gauged by the individual as much as by the thai FDA/DDC/MoPH.

For the OP maybe chill until next year, then see what transpires in the first few weeks of January?

• Like 2

Unfortunately there is basically just speculation on the time frames.  
The rule of thumb is basically six months.

But again no clear cut rules . 
For example.  This past June I had one Sinovac. July I had the second Sinovac.  Then because it was Sinovac I was given a booster of Pfizer in August. 
Shortly afterwards I purchased one Moderna at Samitivej Hospital.  They advised me to wait at least six months to get it.  So I will take it in the beginning of February. 

22 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Several people have posted similar messages. Note that the OP is asking about the timing for a booster after two shots of Pfizer, not AZ. The Thai government's current policy/rule/recommendation is for a booster three months after AZ, or six months after an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna). Different timing for different vaccines.

But yes, I do know people who managed to convince a private hospital to provide a (paid) booster only three months after a full course of Pfizer or Moderna, despite the stated policy.

Wasn't 6 months recommended BEFORE Omicron variant hit Thailand? Now reduced to 3 months as Omicron is more infectious than Delta.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Is it safe to have the boosters 3 months after the 2nd vaccine?

For most people it seems to be, but for a qualified reply you need to consult a pro experts, for example a doctor, and reveal you health story.

I got a Pfizer booster the 25th, three month after my second AZ-jab - both earlier jabs were AZ - and I'm still here. However, I had no side effects at all from the previous AZ-jabs, while I got tired and like worn out the day after the Pfizer booster, and my shoulder hurt this time. I luckily survived what appeared to be just like the beginning of a serious "man flu", so perhaps it's not as safe as waiting for longer time, but I will any time prefer something that appears like a horrible "man flu" for one day, rather than being critical ill from Covid-19...????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, khunPer said:

For most people it seems to be, but for a qualified reply you need to consult a pro experts, for example a doctor, and reveal you health story.

I got a Pfizer booster the 25th, three month after my second AZ-jab - both earlier jabs were AZ - and I'm still here. However, I had no side effects at all from the previous AZ-jabs, while I got tired and like worn out the day after the Pfizer booster, and my shoulder hurt this time. I luckily survived what appeared to be just like the beginning of a serious "man flu", so perhaps it's not as safe as waiting for longer time, but I will any time prefer something that appears like a horrible "man flu" for one day, rather than being critical ill from Covid-19...????????

Not interested in your 2 x AZ ????

Edited by Chris.B
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Unfortunately there is basically just speculation on the time frames.  
The rule of thumb is basically six months.

But again no clear cut rules . 
For example.  This past June I had one Sinovac. July I had the second Sinovac.  Then because it was Sinovac I was given a booster of Pfizer in August. 
Shortly afterwards I purchased one Moderna at Samitivej Hospital.  They advised me to wait at least six months to get it.  So I will take it in the beginning of February. 

I also had 2 Sinovac, then an AstraZaneca. Same timescales. Have a Moderna available, but can postpone. I'll give it 3 months between the Astra and the Moderna.

• Sad 1

On 12/30/2021 at 2:21 PM, MJCM said:

I got refused at the Vaccination site as I also thought 3 months, but they said 6 months after 2x Pfizer, but a friend got his Pfizer booster yesterday after 2x AZ (and his last one was 3 months ago)

Mine will be Moderna booster after 3 months Jan 11Th.

I emailed the hospital in Bangkok with all the the information (2 Pfeizer October 4th last shot).

They emailed me back saying come on in as scheduled.

I'm wary because its a 9 hour drive from here in Issan.

Great news your friend had no side effects.  

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year.

• Confused 1

Its not at all unsafe. 

As the vaccine discussion has evolved people were asking if it was safe to mix vaccines. 

i.e. a Sinvac with AZ or Pfizer etc.

That was perfectly safe, after a brief period the ingredients of vaccine itself is disposed of by the body. It is the ‘antibodies’ which remain. 

Just like having a few G&T’s its not mixing when you have a few whiskies a couple of weeks later. 

The same for boosters - IMO its perfectly ok to ‘boost’ even a week after a vaccine, the booster itself may have little impact on increased antibodies at that stage so there is little point, however, there is no harm. 

Thus:  Boosting 3 months after is fine... The idea ‘target’ is to boost when antibodies are diminishing, this may be at a different time for everyone. 

Personally I have had

June - AZ

July - Pfizer

Aug - Pfizer

Dec - Moderna

The only side effect I have noticed  is an utter intolerance of poorly formulated anti-vax arguments from the miseducated. 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only side effect I have noticed  is an utter intolerance of poorly formulated anti-vax arguments from the miseducated. 

I had 2 x Pfizer, 1st in Aug and 2nd in Sept, albeit it I paid for Moderna in June and now that it is available (December), I have pushed it back to March to have as a booster, i.e. if I still want it, otherwise will just let it go. The way I see it is that I paid for the Pfizer regardless if the USA provided it as a donation, so I won't be crying over spilt milk if I don't use the Moderna come March 2022.

The above said, today I heard Dr Campbell (not really a doctor) on YouTube stating that there is now evidence from Africa on the studies everyone has been waiting for, i.e. that there is cross immunity, meaning that the T cells recognise Omicron and go to work to destroy it, just as they would any Coronavirus previous to Covid.

If the above is true, as we will all find out in the coming weeks, months, I won't be running for a booster, suffice to say we do have immune systems to fight colds, so if your immune system is up to scratch why even bother with the vaccines, perhaps the annual jab like the influenza jab for me then ?

5 hours ago, Presnock said:

I also plan before doing so to go to the hospital and have an COVID antibody

check - not too expensive and should give me an idea of how much I have.

Great idea, also read my post above on some good news which can be followed up, therefore maybe not requiring the booster now, but maybe a little later like the annual flu jab ?