Stricter Disease Controls Expected on Omicron Outbreaks

snoop1130

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

China is probably not the best example. Once again they are locking people in their abodes and surely under-reporting the numbers. Who knows maybe they've made a worse variant in their labs and it's leaked out. 

That's my point. Locked down in abodes but they are still getting and spread covid. Lockdowns don't work.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Lock downs work

China reports major drop in virus cases in locked-down Xi’an

Health officials said they have basically achieved the goal of halting community transmission because the new cases were among people already quarantined.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-winter-olympics-sports-health-beijing-a91fff9b1312e2e5bea4f4ed789e9d4f

Yes it certainly seems to have worked. Maybe not completely but it has worked. The only issue is with balance between restrictions to cut transmission and allowing the population to carry on living in a reasonable manner and I'm not so sure they've got that right. I suppose it depends on how the population feel about it. Not an easy thing to find out unfortunately.

It's a useful experiment which most western countries wouldn't be able to carry out  so we can at least watch and see some of the effects.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"likely to propose the indefinite suspension of the Test & Go entry scheme, stricter disease controls and travel restriction."

Be ready for borders closed, all flights cancelled, restaurants closed, lockdowns and alcohol sales bans.

I wonder how long they can keep doing this?

Decisions on borders, restrictions and lockdowns should be made by the people that suffer if they are put in, not by people that get a guaranteed monthly wage !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Decisions on borders, restrictions and lockdowns should be made by the people that suffer if they are put in, not by people that get a guaranteed monthly wage !

That's called anarchy. We vote for representatives we trust most to make those decisions. That's called democracy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kimamey said:

Yes it certainly seems to have worked. Maybe not completely but it has worked. The only issue is with balance between restrictions to cut transmission and allowing the population to carry on living in a reasonable manner and I'm not so sure they've got that right. I suppose it depends on how the population feel about it. Not an easy thing to find out unfortunately.

It's a useful experiment which most western countries wouldn't be able to carry out  so we can at least watch and see some of the effects.

Many western countries have had lock downs. Nothing new there. We already see the clues that the economy will collapse if the coronavirus isn't controlled. Witness the stock market crash right now. Airlines cancelling thousands of flights and hospitals in crisis and on the point of collapse. Opening up is the last thing to do right now. The Chinese have it right.

A really big help would be for all the imbeciles to get vaccinated and dump this partisan cow excrement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

That's my point. Locked down in abodes but they are still getting and spread covid. Lockdowns don't work.

Sorry but disagree. Lockdowns do work but my point is Omicron is different. IMO lockdowns have saved lives.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stigar said:

Close thailand..give the tourists who don wear mask a fine 100.000 bath and cancel their visa.

Send them back home ASAP.Close "restaurants"who have prove allready they dont give a s.....

Its time they learn their lesson.

Sounds like you should apply to run this country...into the ground that is. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

What a joke. What about closing the 1200 km border with Myanmar? More cross there every day than the airport.

Not going to happen when people are literally fleeing for their lives from the EVIL regime there. Not just looking for better paid work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"likely to propose the indefinite suspension of the Test & Go entry scheme, stricter disease controls and travel restriction."

Be ready for borders closed, all flights cancelled, restaurants closed, lockdowns and alcohol sales bans.

Some would say whenever it suits them

20 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Not going to happen when people are literally fleeing for their lives from the EVIL regime there. Not just looking for better paid work.

I understand and sympathize with them. Just saying that doing away with Test and Go is senseless with all these folks coming in. BTW there is an evil regime here too

Edited by bang saen guy

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Many western countries have had lock downs. Nothing new there. We already see the clues that the economy will collapse if the coronavirus isn't controlled. Witness the stock market crash right now. Airlines cancelling thousands of flights and hospitals in crisis and on the point of collapse. Opening up is the last thing to do right now. The Chinese have it right.

A really big help would be for all the imbeciles to get vaccinated and dump this partisan cow excrement.

Is not the whole solution but high vaccination rates and vaccination in more countries around the world will help

18 hours ago, papa al said:

Had covid twice.

Effectively treated w/ Ivermectin.

Cost 3.5baht.

No biggie.

Let's partay.

Now you have had Covid twice.

BTW, Ivermectin has been subjected to clinical trials, and is shown not to have any impact on Covid-19.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Now you have had Covid twice.

BTW, Ivermectin has been subjected to clinical trials, and is shown not to have any impact on Covid-19.

Oh wow.

Thanks for that unreferenced info.

Guess my 7-baht 

was wasted.

Damn!

• Sad 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, James105 said:

So all those measures that failed to control the virus since April are going to be implemented again even after all those vaccines have been administered.

I remember all the lockdown fanatics telling people to stop moaning as it was only a stopgap until enough have been vaccinated.   What say you now?   How and when does this end exactly?  

Firstly, may I highlight I am not a lockdown 'fanatic' but this is the first point I would like to mention, use of polarising language against those with opposing views. Very common these days I know...I can't seriously believe that there isn't anyone who wouldn't much rather be living carefree as per the pre-COVID environment. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the cards we have been dealt.

Secondly, I don't think anyone has ever thought that implemented measures are going to 'control the virus', I believe the intention of governments worldwide in implementing social restrictions has been to slow down or minimise as much as possible the rate of spread. Increasing evidence suggests that Omicron is significantly milder than Delta but offset with higher transmissibility which still has the capacity to over-stretch health systems. Hopefully, due to this mildness, this will lead to less onerous restrictions ultimately being applied in Thailand, as per the UK for example. That said, UK is fairly well ahead of Thailand in terms of vaccinations delivered...

Finally, 'how and when does this end?' - your guess is as good as mine. Likely when people stop dying in numbers and health systems are not being overwhelmed ? How do we get there ? Vaccinations appear to be a good start and hopefully in the medium term Omicron may actually be a blessing that helps us achieve community immunity. (Herd immunity is old-hat I hear..)

Keep calm & carry on. 

Meanwhile, in the real world, from 4 a.m. local time on Sunday 9 January, the UK is going to eliminate the need for double-vaccinated inbound travelers to get a PCR test before getting on their flight. All they need to do is book and pay for an antigen test to be taken a couple of days after they arrive. Quarantine will only apply to those who can't or won't get vaccinated.

The flash in the pan omicron scare is over. The Thai authorities will also come to the same conclusion in around 2 or 3 weeks from now, just in time to re-start Thailand Pass test-&-go for the fully vaccinated in February.

Then we can get back to moaning about that.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 9:29 PM, dinsdale said:

Yes. I'm sure this is correct. I believe the CCP 100%.

Total covid deaths in China.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Screenshot (874).jpg

With total information control the truth is what the CCP party says it is ….

sometimes 2+2 = 5 or 6 or both…..5k China Covid Deaths….officially….has to be actually around 2 million at least ……like India.. both countries just stopped counting after the first week …… what a joke….disgraceful…. yet unsurprising ……

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:37 PM, BritManToo said:

Ban sex! (under the influence of Alcohol)

Cheers! 

On 1/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, ozimoron said:

Oh, you have some evidence they don't work I assume? Where is it? <laughs>

Apparently Sinovac protection levels against omicron are very low based on some studies unlike your misinformation claims based on an assessment from World Health Organization incident manager Abdi Mahamud.

“Two doses and a booster of the Covid-19 vaccine made by China’s Sinovac Biotech Ltd., one of the most widely used in the world, didn’t produce sufficient levels of neutralizing antibodies to protect against the omicron variant, a laboratory study found”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows/ar-AAS5aba

“Sinovac said in a statement Wednesday that while two doses of its vaccine were much less effective against Omicron, three doses might prevent infection with the variant.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/world/asia/omicron-hong-kong-study.html

"The assessment from World Health Organization incident manager Abdi Mahamud came just days after several preliminary laboratory studies indicated that three doses of Sinovac did not produce enough antibodies to prevent infection from the new variant."

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows-1.1699713

4 minutes ago, fjb 24 said:

Apparently Sinovac protection levels against omicron are very low based on some studies unlike your misinformation claims based on an assessment from World Health Organization incident manager Abdi Mahamud.

“Two doses and a booster of the Covid-19 vaccine made by China’s Sinovac Biotech Ltd., one of the most widely used in the world, didn’t produce sufficient levels of neutralizing antibodies to protect against the omicron variant, a laboratory study found”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows/ar-AAS5aba

“Sinovac said in a statement Wednesday that while two doses of its vaccine were much less effective against Omicron, three doses might prevent infection with the variant.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/world/asia/omicron-hong-kong-study.html

"The assessment from World Health Organization incident manager Abdi Mahamud came just days after several preliminary laboratory studies indicated that three doses of Sinovac did not produce enough antibodies to prevent infection from the new variant."

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows-1.1699713

yeah, nah. You're talking about protection from infection here. I'm talking about protection from infection. And I provided evidence to that effect. Which one actually matters?

Edited by ozimoron