Pub-like Eateries to Be Closed at Level 4 COVID Alert

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Imagine humans desiring to be in a crowd in the middle of a pandemic, wanting to be seen by others and yakking to others about nothing at all and sitting at a table with a glass of alcohol in front of them thinking to themselves they have reached nirvana. How ridiculous is this human behavior.

There is a sliver of sense there wrapped up in a ton of sneering nonsense. Pity you couldn't just make your point. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

There is more chance of getting COVID in the daily markets or weekly walk in Streets than going into a bar or eatery that if your lucky will have 20 people inside 

They beg to differ in Pattaya where the pubs were crowded. My market runs are devoid of people maybe you do them at the wrong time. Anyway look at reality look at the pubs / bars what were open in pattaya and crowded.

34 minutes ago, jimn said:

Dont make things out to be worse than they actually are. The critical incidents in a few hospitals have been declared due to staff shortages, ie having to self isolate after close contact with someone over Christmas and the New Year. This will soon pass. Dont also forget that the 17,988 people in hospital are not all there because of Covid. Only some are. The rest are in hospital for other reasons and just happen to have covid. Of the 17,988 people in hospital only 875 are serious and on Ventilators. 90% are unvaccinated 

It appears that the UK has assessed the threat level of Omicron and how fast it spreads, acknowledged that it’s in and there’s very little that they can do unless they go into a full lockdown, which the government and a lot of the people don’t want because of all the financial implications to businesses and curbs to individuals freedom. Therefore they have made the call to get on with it with a few restrictions as long as it doesn’t overwhelm the country. 

Whether it is the right call is yet to be seen but even if Thailand was to close its borders, at some point it will get in as per the last outbreak via legal/illegal migrant workers and outbreaks will occur. Therefore whilst I appreciate the need to protect the people, I somewhat feel that all Thailand is doing is delaying the inevitable as this will not stop until everyone has been infected to a certain degree and some form of herd immunity is achieved. In the meantime a lot of the people are suffering due to the state of the tourist industry which I can’t see recovering for a long time due the continual rule changes and forced hospital quarantine if you are found to be positive?

Therefore I feel this current cycle of bars opening/bars closing is going to be here for quite a while yet, until Thailand is ready to take that big step?

I do feel though that they would most probably be in a far better position to possibly take that step if the current administration had acknowledged the seriousness of the virus 2 years ago, possibly joined Co-Vax and got their vaccination program underway far earlier with decent vaccines?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Imagine humans desiring to be in a crowd in the middle of a pandemic, wanting to be seen by others and yakking to others about nothing at all, ogling the scenes around them, sitting at a table with a glass of alcohol in front of them and thinking to themselves they have reached nirvana. How ridiculous is this human behavior.

The folly of youth.............mainly..........plus some older dogs set in their ways who just cannot/will not learn new tricks, e.g., 2 or 3 UK expat friends have become quite agitated, even abusive simply because I wanted to bump elbows rather than shake hands with them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

An example of critical thinking that eludes the Thai ????. If you already have a variant that is widespread amongst your indigenous population and whose effects are minimal,then draconian restrictions on entry from outside is of little benefit and comes at significant cost to your travel /tourist industry. Trying to keep something out that is already there! Additionally,with something that infectious and widespread the chances of getting a false negative are also diminished so the more expensive PCR is of little value. But don’t expect the likes of Anutin to be blessed with that clarity of thought 

I totally agree

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, smiggley said:

Everyone is focussed on the bars and alcohol but what about the markets and overcrowded factories,

I have read a lot more clusters are attributed to these places than bars.

Yes, quite ridiculous.  Alao, I can personally comment from personal experience at the extremely overcrowded immigration offices - such as Chonburi which gets insanely packed that would most definitely be infecting people with Omicron as well.  Ah the insanity of all of this LOL

Edited by aussienam

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

adding a takeaway pizza menu to the counter doesn't negate standing shoulder to shoulder with 300 maskless idiots knocking back beer for 6 hours.

because thats where we are (in hua hin anyway).

But that is not the case in the whole of Thailand.

I agree with punishing the guilty, but a blanket ban punishes most people including the bar owners, their staff, the alcohol suppliers, the ice suppliers etc to no gain at all. The problem with the current governments mindset, is that they don't even try a middle path, but blanket ban everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

Or do we sit on the merry-go-round of lockdowns, boosters, isolation, reopening, lockdowns ... etc for the next ten years?

If you are one who thrives on being in charge, and telling lesser mortals what to do, then this merry-go-round is a wet dream come true!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Should have done it before the NY. Pattaya didn't cancel Countdown and now infection rates are sky high with Hospitals and Hospitels filling up fast. My Soi is self quarantining with 6 already in Hospitels and now unfortunately too late everyone is frightened to go out as they will be seen as breaking quarantine. Too little too late!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

Sorry, I don't buy that propaganda click-bait supposed news story. There are an unlimited amount of social interactions where someone can become infected and to put the blame on alcohol drinking and scapegoating bars is weak and pathetic. Covidiocy has literally brainwashed and stoked fear into a large segment of the population. I am moving on with my life.

A bar is where my local outbreak started!

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

This looks increasingly like a deliberate attempt to permanently cancel any form of western style nightlife, be it restaurants, bars or nightclubs. I hope I'm wrong.

I suspect it is a deliberate attempt, over time, to concentrate the ownership and profits of any form of nightlife in the hands of "the right people".

• Like 2

Have hospitalizations spiked dramatically since the Omicron wave?  And are hospitalizations always necessary here? Particularly with this milder variant?  I don't believe so.

It seems that often people infected are coerced to be hospitalized when they would not be considered ill enough in other countries. And therefore causing the system to be overwhelmed unnecessarily IMO.

These reimposed restrictions on alcohol/shutting down bars again are an attempt to reduce the pace of infections and give hospitals the ability to cope. We get that.  

But, like what other countries are doing now, they have majority of population vaccinated and Omicron overwhelmingly is a much milder variant with cold-like symptoms. They are letting it spread. 

This is a prime opportunity globally to let this virus saturate the population and hopefully burn out this damned COVID.  The longer this virus is allowed to fester and have new hosts to infect, the more chance for mutations and maybe another variant like Delta or worse to emerge. Omicron is a golden opportunity to end this.  

Or do we sit on the merry-go-round of lockdowns, boosters, isolation, reopening, lockdowns ... etc for the next ten years?

Other countries are not letting Omicron spread- they are panicking because 25pc of key workers are having to quarantine including health workers

• Like 1

Have hospitalizations spiked dramatically since the Omicron wave?  And are hospitalizations always necessary here? Particularly with this milder variant?  I don't believe so.

It seems that often people infected are coerced to be hospitalized when they would not be considered ill enough in other countries. And therefore causing the system to be overwhelmed unnecessarily IMO.

These reimposed restrictions on alcohol/shutting down bars again are an attempt to reduce the pace of infections and give hospitals the ability to cope. We get that.  

But, like what other countries are doing now, they have majority of population vaccinated and Omicron overwhelmingly is a much milder variant with cold-like symptoms. They are letting it spread. 

This is a prime opportunity globally to let this virus saturate the population and hopefully burn out this damned COVID.  The longer this virus is allowed to fester and have new hosts to infect, the more chance for mutations and maybe another variant like Delta or worse to emerge. Omicron is a golden opportunity to end this.  

The answer to your first question is Yes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

There goes the hybrid Pattaya Tree Town "restaurant/bar/knocking shop/brown envelope" model.

At a guess at least a 3 month closure.

Most tourists had bailed when incarceration was brought back.

Plus the great omicron hospital raffle.

Here's your country of origin odds but i don't think includes the bonus ball of anyone sitting in the rows around you on the flight -

And good old ....."Britain  Rules the ( Omnikron ) Waves .." ????

as number 1

????

Edited by david555

It's kind of strange that the people that complain that the bars might be closed are the same people that complain about Thais getting together for New Year.

Alcoholic Mongers will always find something to moan about, Thailand needs me, Thailand needs Tourists, you don't give a <deleted>, as long as you personally are not affected , you couldn't give a <deleted> what happens to Thailand, go to bars in your own country if they are open, get alcohol poisoning in the comfort of your own hovel, I think they should close down the bars for at least 3 months, then open again for songkhran, then shut down again after.

Last time I was in a bar it was full of drunk, arrogant Farang a-holes, I couldn't stay longer than 5 minutes, the stench of self importance was too much to bear, I finished my Soda water and left wondering what their grandchildren would think of them could they see them slobbering drunkenly over economically disadvantaged poor girls, the back slapping boasting about how this old man got a girl for the price of 2 packs of cigarettes and a beer ' Back Home'.

Pathetic.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2