Things to consider before deciding to retire in Thailand

ASEAN NOW Sales

1 hour ago, PeachCH said:

Well, one of my friends is living in Pattaya. 

Alone in his condo 15 people are using the service of an agent and many of them since years. 

Its more or less common in Pattaya. An easy way to stay for people over 50 years old, who don't can afford the financial requirements or don't want their money blocked in a bank account. 

Do they actually get the extensions issued in Pattaya? probably by the sound of this thread. Often they have to go upcountry to find somebody willing to do it

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

This article only discusses the requirements for an OA visa, whereas most retirees use extensions based on a Non-Imm O Visa. General medical insurance with a specific level of coverage is a requirement for those people with an OA visa, but not for those using a Non-Imm O, unless things have changed since I last looked. Basically, the article is a red herring as it discusses what's needed to follow the route used by a minority of expats here.

only a matter of time before those insurance coverage levels are equalized for both O-A and Non Imm O . 

• Sad 1

Well that health insurance promotion certainly found a miserable lot 

If you plan to retire in Thailand take guidance from those that continue to enjoy it would be my advice ????

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Which window are you referring to. The rules may change but the agents will thrive forever. In my opinion one of the reasons IO's are dicks is to make using agents more desirable. 

Time will show. 

10 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Forgot to mention currency fluctuations.  In a small economy with high foreign currency reserves, anything can happen. Baht usually inches down—then breaks your heart by vaulting upwards. This can make financial planning a challenge—especially if you’re on a fixed retirement income.

In the case of UK retirees thats really is a fixed income statevpension. It will not go up when they know you live in Thailand.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

In the case of UK retirees thats really is a fixed income statevpension. It will not go up when they know you live in Thailand.

A UK state pension is insufficient  to meet the Thai government financial requirements anyway. We combine our state pension with our private pension and other investments including property  rentals.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chosenfew said:

I have not seen that health insurance is required for an extension of stay. Is this now a requirement?

No. but things can change on a whim. They, the soldiers government, can do what they want as they don't have to depend on the electorate,

Edited by possum1931

Guest Isaanlife
On 1/17/2022 at 6:50 AM, sawadee1947 said:

At present I am in the near of Cadiz. Beautiful beaches, very CLEAN, a lot of Storchs and parrots. Amazing. And temperatures are between 10 (at night,) and 20 Centigrades.

What is the cost of living like?

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No. but things can change on a whim. They, the soldiers government, can do what they want as they don't have to depend on the electorate,

You would be retiring to a country run by a dictatorship where there are signs of the younger more educated middle classes starting to rebel & a massive underclass kept uneducated.

Hints of instability at the top that could get nasty in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 3:08 PM, ASEAN NOW Sales said:

Whether you’re of retirement age or planning for the future, it’s likely that Thailand is high up on your list of options.

I wonder if a radical change in life is really what people who retire want and need. They have already one big change, retirement!

Personally I live here since forever and I plan to retire here. I like it and when I retire I am sure some things will change. But many things won't change because I will still live in the same country in the same apartment. My friends won't change, my food won't change. I know the language and my surrounding. 

If someone worked his whole life i.e. in Europe then I am sure a holiday in Thailand can be refreshing (and maybe a little tiring). But living here is something very different. How many people are willing to learn a new and complicated language when they are i.e. 65 years old? How many want to learn a very different culture to understand  Thais and Thailand?

Or do these new retirees plan to live in place like Pattaya which is full of other retirees who also don't speak Thai and have also little knowledge about Thais and Thailand?

I don't say that there are no people who retired happily in Thailand. But to plan retirement in Thailand after living 65 years in a totally different country is certainly a big challenge. And lots of people will fail, and lots of people will lose all their money.

Good luck! You need it.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That depends a lot on what kind of food you like.

Have a look at the prices of cheese and wine in a supermarket ...

......wine from 0,75 Euro Up... ????

......Goat Cheese from 0.90 Up...

...... Artichokes 3.50 one Kilo....

........sardines fresh 3 Euro/kg