Experiences living next to a rice paddy

NorthernRyland

Does anyone here live close to a rice paddy and could share any experiences? When they're wet are the insects out of control? I've ridden past them on bikes before and remember being overwhelmed by the humidity but maybe that's not in all cases. Smell also is something to consider. 

Thanks for your feedback.

I never seen any snakes in Thailand but in the time I rented a year around water streams and rice paddies I have seen at least 10 during 1 raining season. Mainly at night on the asfalt roads along houses and village. 

I'd buy a urinoir, then you are safe at night taking a pee unlike the news stories.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

We have some rice fields across the road from our gated MooBaan....the biggest issue is not insects....they're everywhere anyway...the  biggest issue is a few times a year between crops they burn the stubble after harvest.....the smoke makes the pool unusable for the day and the ash falls on everything so the next day our outdoor bench/table ect need to be cleaned....disgusting practice..but this is Thailand where pollution doesn't matter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paddy other side of perimeter wall

Nice cool breeze most of the time

No bugs to speak of

Lot of frogs when its flooded-love the sound

Only negative effect is the rat population after the harvest  tends to move a lot

Cats and dogs and owls take care of that

• Like 1

We have a rice paddy along one side of our property, about 2 meters from our wall.  No problem with mosquitoes or other insects but as mentioned before, there are a lot of frogs during the wet season.  It can get rather noisy at night.

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yeah that's the situation I'd be in, a wall and then directly on 2 sides a rice paddy. Feels like it could be a steamy bug pit. ????

Added to the unwelcome "bugs" are the thousands of dragon flies and swifts which are on hand looking to make a meal of anything that is small and flies. Nature does have a habit of making things balance out. Inside the house there will be loads of small lizards darting about over the walls and ceilings eating any luckless insect that happens to land nearby. My house is on a farm with a lake on one side and a seasonally water filled ditch on the other. The rest of the farm is a combination of woodland, fruit trees and rice fields. The only insects which bother me live in the garden and the woodland which is three hundred metres from the house and they are the occasional local mosquitoes which are not difficult to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

We have a rice paddy along one side of our property, about 2 meters from our wall.  No problem with mosquitoes or other insects but as mentioned before, there are a lot of frogs during the wet season.  It can get rather noisy at night.

Or a wonderful frog legs buffet.

Plus they eat their weight in mosquitoes everyday.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

I would worry about all pesticides being used. And they use alot in Thailand. Coming in your land, chickens, homegrown food etc.

Perhaps you can ask the ricepad owner to tell you beforehand so you can run away when he is using pesticides....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Frogs, rats and snakes. Mostly during rainy season. 

Yes indeed, that was my experience living opposite paddy fields in a valley amongst Lanna mountains during the growing and harvesting season.  Snakes were daily visitors catching the frogs and rats.

• Like 1