The Silent, Vaccinated, Impatient Majority

cdemundo

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

90% of Covid ICU cases in the UK are those that are non-vaccinated. I suspect that the figures in Thailand won't be too dissimilar.

Covid-19: Fact check—how many patients in hospital are unvaccinated?

“The Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC), which has been monitoring activity throughout the pandemic, provides information on admissions to intensive care.3 Its latest report, published on 31 December, showed that the proportion of patients admitted to critical care in December 2021 with confirmed covid-19 who were unvaccinated was 61%.”

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o5

36 minutes ago, Airalee said:

“The Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC), which has been monitoring activity throughout the pandemic, provides information on admissions to intensive care.3 Its latest report, published on 31 December, showed that the proportion of patients admitted to critical care in December 2021 with confirmed covid-19 who were unvaccinated was 61%.”

With some hospitals previously reporting 80-90%.

"The 61% figure is lower than the 80-90% reported at some hospitals. But the latest ICNARC data span only to 15 December, and the proportion of patients in intensive care who are unvaccinated may have increased as the omicron variant spread in December. Some hospitals will also have been more badly affected than others."

7 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

So as a private business owner, can I refuse service to those who I suspect might be homeless, if I can prove by showing statistics that they are more likely to steal from my business? 
How about if I just ask them to produce a piece of identification that shows me they at least have a home address? 

If someone were a taxi driver in certain American cities, They might look at the statistics involving armed robberies and other violent crime, and conclude that they don’t want to pick up customers who fall into certain ethnic groups. Should that be allowed, if the numbers seem to prove the hypothesis? 

I’m sure you can show me plenty of evidence saying that someone is less likely to give you covid after being vaccinated, but you can’t produce any evidence to show that it’s absolutely not possible. I think the evidence at this point shows us that it absolutely is possible. 

So if we are going to allow people to discriminate against others on the basis that it’s “more likely” for that group of people to cause harm to others, what should stop the taxi driver in Chicago from discriminating against those who he can prove with statistics are “more likely” to rob him at gun point? 

You need to acquaint yourself with the difference between legal and illegal discrimination.

Start with reading up on ‘Protected Class/Group’.

Though I believe you probably know how doing so will reveal the holes in your argument above.

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

Also from the report you have linked:

“Further analysis by the agency has concluded that unvaccinated adults are as much as eight times more likely to be admitted to hospital than those who have been vaccinated and that booster doses are 88% effective at preventing hospital admission”

Let’s go Darwin.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Also from the report you have linked:

“Further analysis by the agency has concluded that unvaccinated adults are as much as eight times more likely to be admitted to hospital than those who have been vaccinated and that booster doses are 88% effective at preventing hospital admission”

Let’s go Darwin.

Here's the first Award candidate:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-20/czech-singer-dies-after-deliberately-getting-covid/100768826

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am just wondering how many anti-vaxxers have seen this photo, taken some decades ago. IMO their resistance to vaccination doesn't go that far.

I'm pretty sure that most are not antivax per se, but specifically anti covid vaccine. Claiming that they are anti ALL vaccines is IMO just attempting to smear them. I personally wouldn't take Pfizer, which meant I had to wait till an alternative was available.

IMO had they not had polio vaccine there would be lots of people getting polio, and there ain't, in western countries at least.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Yes, the article says the intensive care beds are temporary and that nursing staff are reassigned to intensive care units. It is also said that 27,000 beds have been closed over the past seven years, which is massive and is the real core of the problem.

I wonder if they closed beds because they couldn't get the staff, or because they wanted to save money or some other reason?

I know the NHS had a huge problem getting staff when I was working for it. They just didn't pay enough to make it worthwhile to train, IMO. They were having to recruit in Africa. Lots came from the Philippines too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

we were led to believe that 70-80% of the population being vaccinated would be enough to get those numbers down to an acceptable level, and end the social restrictions and masks. Nothing “right wing” about it.

At one point I even remember an American politician saying that the pandemic could be over in a month if people would just wear their masks. 

You might have been aware that the vaccines wouldn’t neutralize covid completely. I was aware, but was called a pessimist (among others things) for trying to tell anyone or show them the evidence.
The mainstream media sure didn’t make it very clear to the general public. 

I cannot see what your point is, is it you're just anti-authority or something.....?

Just answer this one question, have Covid vaccines save thousands of lives..Yes or No...?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

So as a private business owner, can I refuse service to those who I suspect might be homeless, if I can prove by showing statistics that they are more likely to steal from my business? 
How about if I just ask them to produce a piece of identification that shows me they at least have a home address? 

If someone were a taxi driver in certain American cities, They might look at the statistics involving armed robberies and other violent crime, and conclude that they don’t want to pick up customers who fall into certain ethnic groups. Should that be allowed, if the numbers seem to prove the hypothesis? 

I’m sure you can show me plenty of evidence saying that someone is less likely to give you covid after being vaccinated, but you can’t produce any evidence to show that it’s absolutely not possible. I think the evidence at this point shows us that it absolutely is possible. 

So if we are going to allow people to discriminate against others on the basis that it’s “more likely” for that group of people to cause harm to others, what should stop the taxi driver in Chicago from discriminating against those who he can prove with statistics are “more likely” to rob him at gun point? 

Because if someone is a certain skin color they can change that by getting a vaccination? Ethnicity, skin color etc is not something that can be changed (well, unless you're Michael Jackson).  But believe it or not, it is possible to change your status from unvaccinated to vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wonder if they closed beds because they couldn't get the staff, or because they wanted to save money or some other reason?

I know the NHS had a huge problem getting staff when I was working for it. They just didn't pay enough to make it worthwhile to train, IMO. They were having to recruit in Africa. Lots came from the Philippines too.

Think we will prevail, usually do, 1918 was trying. In the last UK pandemic, my mum had to make parts for fighter planes, no ifs, ands or buts...........????

1700441569_Spanishflu.jpg.882e3fb5f76e4038c64d3d8c119ed2ac.jpg1404667713_Spanishflu2.jpg.05f008e84b6eb9b53e1f0d7b97d860c7.jpgMossie-build-960_640-1.jpg.df0ad68e58da7baa731b6caa7c39fe90.jpg

1 hour ago, transam said:

Sunbeam, vaccines already have saved lives......????

But thousands will succumb through their own stupidity, I read it every day. 

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/hana-horka-czech-singer-dies-172753070.html

Lets see when the stats come in about poor countries that couldn't vaccinate as many as the rich west. Then we really will see if vaccine made a difference.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lets see when the stats come in about poor countries that couldn't vaccinate as many as the rich west. Then we really will see if vaccine made a difference.

You mean countries that also don’t have universal access to healthcare and almost certainly no reliable data collection.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Scientists can only go on the data they have before them at a particular point in time. What worked for the alpha variant does not necessarily mean the same will work for other variants. Criticizing them for changing their position is simply ignorance of the scientific process, and the mutation of viruses.

" When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" ( John Maynard Keynes )

The purpose of my intervention was not to criticise them but to reestablish facts. The assertion that the authorities' stance has been consistent from day one (which I have seen several users of this forum make) is erroneous and equates to rewriting history. Truth matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm pretty sure that most are not antivax per se, but specifically anti covid vaccine. Claiming that they are anti ALL vaccines is IMO just attempting to smear them. I personally wouldn't take Pfizer, which meant I had to wait till an alternative was available.

IMO had they not had polio vaccine there would be lots of people getting polio, and there ain't, in western countries at least.

There is a vociferous hard core of anti-vaxxers who are against everything - fluoride, Big Pharma, vaccines - you name it.

I can understand hesitancy over the mRNA vaccines, that is new technology. Having said that, I don't understand the resistance to vaccines such as Sputnik, Sinovac or Astra Zeneca. The technologies behind those vaccines have been around as long as polio vaccines.

I don't advocate forcing people into taking vaccines. However, if they are disproportionally represented in COVID patients presenting at public hospitals, they should be paying the costs of their personal choice. And yes, I think smokers, alcoholics and the obese should too.

BTW, polio is still endemic in Afghanistan and Pakistan - a mix of availability and culture.

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Your nitpicking.  The vaccines work, it's been proven ad nauseam for months.

I was just reestablishing truth as to what actually happened. It is up to everyone's appreciation whether the jabs work or not, I am not commenting on that here.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In France, public services have consistently seen a reduction of their budgets in favor of privatisation and cost-cutting since 1983. The state is hugely indebted because it borrows money from private banking establishments and pays interest on them, under a law which was promulgated on January 3rd 1973. This was applied to all EU member-states in 2007 with the Lisbon Treaty. Lots of people do not know that but it is the root of all evil.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I agree. Unfortunately, truth is a fairly elusive attribute in these days of social media.

I never cease to marvel at the arrogance of people who, with limited education, think their beliefs are more important than those of scientists who have spent years if not decades acquiring skills, knowledge and experience in their chosen field.

Yes, thank you.

I saw a great cartoon depicting 3 scientist-types in a lab, one is sitting at a computer, he is saying (paraphrase):

"I know we have all devoted our lives to the study of infectious diseases, but this guy on Facebook (could be ASEANNOW) makes a lot of sense".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There is a vociferous hard core of anti-vaxxers who are against everything - fluoride, Big Pharma, vaccines - you name it.

I can understand hesitancy over the mRNA vaccines, that is new technology. Having said that, I don't understand the resistance to vaccines such as Sputnik, Sinovac or Astra Zeneca. The technologies behind those vaccines have been around as long as polio vaccines.

Which is why I specifically included "MOST" in my post.

I think the thing that turns people off all of them is because of the big stick the government is waving at us, rather than using persuasion. People don't like being threatened by employees ( government is paid for by taxes ergo we employ them ).

IMO if they think that threats are the only way to go, there must be something not right about what the government is trying to force them to have.

Also, many people just don't trust the government.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I agree. Unfortunately, truth is a fairly elusive attribute in these days of social media.

I never cease to marvel at the arrogance of people who, with limited education, think their beliefs are more important than those of scientists who have spent years if not decades acquiring skills, knowledge and experience in their chosen field.

IMO not so much believing they know more, but more not trusting scientists. IMO doesn't matter how long they studied, if they are dependent on grants from people or institutions that require a certain outcome.

Unless they are self funded, they are beholden to those that pay them.

• Like 2