Here's how one woman left her rented room after leaving owing two months rent

webfact

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Left owing 2 months rent .......

So the landlord keeps the 1 month security, and is out 1 months rent after 5 years of payments.

Clearing up the mess, less than a day's wage, 300bht.

If I were the landlord I'd call that a decent profit.

Especially for a landlord who appears to have made zero effort to monitor month to month conditions of/in the apartment.

Money for old rope......plastic bags, fans, model of Eiffel Tower......etc.....

5 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Especially for a landlord who appears to have made zero effort to monitor month to month conditions of/in the apartment.

Money for old rope......plastic bags, fans, model of Eiffel Tower......etc.....

So, if you were in rented accommodation and the landlord wanted to check every month, you'd be okay with that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So the landlord keeps the 1 month security, and is out 1 months rent after 5 years of payments.

I don’t see a profit when you’re losing 1 month rent plus 300 Baht plus whatever damage is under all that garbage that’s been rotting there for years. 

Luckily it doesn’t matter because the law is clear. I just hope the landlord will be able to enforce it and sue this bad tenant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I agree. My last a***e landlord charged me 3000 baht to clean an already clean place after 6.5 years of all rent paid. It would have cost no more than 500 baht to clean it to perfection. This is the problem with security bonds - the landlord holds all the cards.

In that appartment in the OP, it could have been cleaned for free by trash hunters.... at least had all the stuff cleared out.

I have not paid security deposits for many years. I just look for a landlord who wants a trouble-free tenant, who looks after their property as if it is their own. Pays rent a couple of days ahead of due date, without fail.

Did that in Australia, did it in Thailand after two years here.

Every landlord and agent I have ever had, said they were sorry to lose me as a tenant.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I agree. My last a***e landlord charged me 3000 baht to clean an already clean place after 6.5 years of all rent paid. It would have cost no more than 500 baht to clean it to perfection. This is the problem with security bonds - the landlord holds all the cards.

In that appartment in the OP, it could have been cleaned for free by trash hunters.... at least had all the stuff cleared out.

Did you challenge your landlord on the deduction? Take pics or threaten legal action? It amazes me how people complain about this behaviour but rarely do they stand up and actually do something about it. By jusy paying it means the landlord will never change thrir behaviour and so, the viscious cycle goes on.

55 minutes ago, BestB said:

Clearly you not a landlord and know even less about prices or renting.

I had a block of flats in Worthing (40 years back), about 12 bedsits.

3 floors, shared showers/toilets on each floor, communal kitchen in the basement if they wanted to cook.

Didn't give a poop about the condition as we had a cleaner to deal with that nonsense.

The customers were students (rent paid 1 term in advance), or people on social (social paid rent direct monthly).

All that was important was the monthly income, nothing else mattered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Everything for sale 50 baht per item.

Gone in 60 seconds.

I'd call that a decent profit and no clearance needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have not paid security deposits for many years. I just look for a landlord who wants a trouble-free tenant, who looks after their property as if it is their own. Pays rent a couple of days ahead of due date, without fail.

Did that in Australia, did it in Thailand after two years here.

Every landlord and agent I have ever had, said they were sorry to lose me as a tenant.

I suppose my post was a good lead-in to brag about how good a tenant you are. It's quite possible I'm an even better tenant than you are LOL. The last 3 places I stayed: 5.5 years, 6.5 years, and currently I'm at 5 years, and I too treat my rentals like my own. You'd be amazed what pricks landlords can be even if you stay that long and look after the place. My last rental in Australia (seeing you mentioned Australia) was 14 years and I negotiated a return of deposit after a long period, but Thailand (Pattaya) is a different story.

Finding a place where I can negotiate no deposit is not my goal when finding a place to live. I first look for a place I really like, then I take a closer look at the landlord. How would you expect a landlord to decide if you're a trouble-free tenant who looks after a place as their own? I certainly wouldn't be knocking back a great place to rent just because I cannot negotiate a lower deposit or no-deposit. My current deposit is 60k.

Edited by JensenZ

3 hours ago, claffey said:

Did you challenge your landlord on the deduction? Take pics or threaten legal action? It amazes me how people complain about this behaviour but rarely do they stand up and actually do something about it. By jusy paying it means the landlord will never change thrir behaviour and so, the viscious cycle goes on.

Seriously? I'm going to start a "legal action" over a 3000 baht cleaning fee? That's ridiculous. I have better things to do with my time.

Did I challenge him? Bl**dy right I did. We had a very unpleasant, very loud shouting and cursing match, but I stopped short of attacking him.

Something important you missed. I didn't pay it, he took it out of my deposit. He gave me back my deposit minus the cleaning fee.

Do you live in Thailand? Your suggestions don't work here and quite frankly sound rather naive.

20 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Finding a place where I can negotiate no deposit is not my goal when finding a place to live. I first look for a place I really like, then I take a closer look at the landlord. How would you expect a landlord to decide if you're a trouble-free tenant who looks after a place as their own?

You ask them to talk to your previous landlord.

25 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I suppose my post was a good lead-in to brag about how good a tenant you are. It's quite possible I'm an even better tenant than you are LOL. The last 3 places I stayed: 5.5 years, 6.5 years, and currently I'm at 5 years, and I too treat my rentals like my own. You'd be amazed what pricks landlords can be even if you stay that long and look after the place. My last rental in Australia (seeing you mentioned Australia) was 14 years and I negotiated a return of deposit after a long period, but Thailand (Pattaya) is a different story.

Finding a place where I can negotiate no deposit is not my goal when finding a place to live. I first look for a place I really like, then I take a closer look at the landlord. How would you expect a landlord to decide if you're a trouble-free tenant who looks after a place as their own? I certainly wouldn't be knocking back a great place to rent just because I cannot negotiate a lower deposit or no-deposit. My current deposit is 60k.

That's money you'll never see again.

• Haha 1