Utter stupidity by the BTS

Freddy42OZ

2 hours ago, matchar said:

Aren't the extensions operated by the BTS on the BMAs behalf? I'm currently enjoying occasional free rides on the northern extension while they are in dispute.

I read before Christmas they were considering new fares but no updates since then...do you have any news?

If the maximum fare increases beyond 59 baht then it will definitely be cheaper to drive in most cases.

BTS drives the trains and collects the fares on the BMA extensions, but the fares are set by BMA hence the inconsistencies. Yes, the North and East extensions (owned by MRTA who want to offload to BMA) are still under dispute with many billions of Baht in operating fees owing.

I don't have any information on fare changes, to be honest I couldn't tell you anyway even if I did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe, presumably, ........  Have you ever used the BTS?

Maybe, presumably, possibly, perhaps, could be, common words for many on this forum that want to make baseless assumptions.

• Like 1

My guess is the system flags you as taking the journey then returning to the original station without exiting. Hence 1 baht for the extra station.

I have missed my stop on the BTS and been charged an extra baht to exit.

That's my case your honour.

On 1/28/2022 at 12:15 PM, RickG16 said:

Don't know what you mean. I do this pretty regularly in 7/11 and they get it right. 

Me too, often.

They like getting the small change and returning just B100 Bill's.

And they count it at least 3 times, and verbally call out the change amount. 

Maybe it's recorded ?

2 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Like many, my first reaction to the OPs was 'WOW, if this is the most stupidest thing you've experienced in 14 years living here you really have had a sheltered life in Thailand!' Secondly, as Crossey has pointed out, this post just highlights the OP's ignorance of the fare structure and the fact that there is a station access charge which I assume is due to the OP perhaps not using the BTS that much??

Anyway, when the BTS first opened in 99 one could pass through stations without charge. However, a few years later, the BTS introduced a "station access fee" of 10 baht (the minimum fare at the time) as some people were passing through concourse gates to access the other side. This was especially the case at Chitlom as people would walk from the Skywalk thorugh the gates to access Central Chitlom rather than walk down to st level. Similar at Victory with people passing throught he gates walking from the Skywalk to Century.

When the min fare increased to 15 baht, so did the station access charge. Increase to 16 baht. ditto.

In Hong Kong you can walk through ANY MTR station for free.

Millions do daily to access the other side of the road or enter a major shopping mall etc.

Imagine a HK Chinese paying 20 or 50c to walk through a train station!!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Millions do daily to access the other side of the road or enter a major shopping mall etc.

You can also do that here in Thailand also.  No different.  Just don't enter the turnstile / train platform.

You even have a 2 hour window for shopping, I think, if wanting to shop at the 'malls' in the stations, though most don't offer much.  You can ride the station and go back to your original if just wanting to sightsee in AC comfort from above ... ????  Actually some good vantage point if a photographer.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, OJAS said:

Well, maybe the reason why @Freddy42OZ and his girlfriend decided to take a taxi instead was that, once they had passed through the ticket barrier, it then became apparent to them that there would be an extremely long wait for the next train. 

Er....what???   Have you ever actually used the BTS??  When has there ever been an "extremely long" wait for a train?

• Like 2

Don't know what you mean. I do this pretty regularly in 7/11 and they get it right. 

Same for me.

Done this for nearly 11 years now and never a problem, Never got wrong amount back when doing this.
I do it all over, Not only 7/11.

Kindly.

1 hour ago, Stargeezr said:

This story is over 1 baht or a nickel in USA currency, WOW!  

You are in Thailand , enjoy your stay.

You have to understand, there is no topic so trivial, puerile or sophomoric that it can't be discussed in this forum.

You are in Asean Now, enjoy your stay. I know I will.

Paul Laew

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, Freddy42OZ said:

For a 346 baht bill, I give 1046 baht hoping to get back 700 baht. Nope. They count it wrong or something, and I get back like 600 baht, and the bunch of coins I was trying to avoid. Heh.

Did it ever occur to you to just give them the cash and tell them the amount they need to return? 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, Freddy42OZ said:

I was at On Nut BTS and bought a ticket to go to Punnawithi - cost of ticket 15 baht.

-SNIP-

This has to be the stupidest thing I've every experienced in almost 14 years living here.

Yeah, it sounds pretty stupid, though I also have to admit that it also sounds a bit silly to me to be living here for 14 years and not have a Rabbit card.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:39 PM, orchidfan said:

That's not the issue. The OP had entered the arrival/ departure  area - trainside..

On 1/28/2022 at 12:39 PM, bbko said:

OP, according to their website, you should have been able to get a refund if you left the paid area within 5 minutes

Thank you for that.  There are certain places where I wish I could walk through the station without having to pay.  When it's raining hard, it's nice to be able to walk all the way from Phloen Chit BTS to National Stadium BTS.  It would be completely walkable through malls or the elevated walkway if not for the Chit Lom stop.  But now that I know it's refundable, I'll have to get a single fare card to give it a try.  Wish it worked with Rabbit cards, but I know from experience it doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

But look at how they give you change. I keep hoping to get 20s and 50s in change. The 20s I usually get. But 7 Eleven is really stubborn about letting loose of those 50s.  Say I have 70 baht coming back to me. I almost always get three 20s and two five baht coins. It's like they're mocking me.

Just now, John Drake said:

But look at how they give you change. I keep hoping to get 20s and 50s in change. The 20s I usually get. But 7 Eleven is really stubborn about letting loose of those 50s.  Say I have 70 baht coming back to me. I almost always get three 20s and two five baht coins. It's like they're mocking me.

With all due respect. Why does it matter? 

Usually with the aid  of a calculator, she  could'nt  add 15 baht & 10 baht  without a calculator yesterday 

17 minutes ago, John Drake said:

"It's like they're mocking me."

I don't think so, they are just giving you your change and you can always ask for them to exchange the 2x5 baht coins for a 10 baht coin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

What an idiotic question. Because I don't want to be loaded down with change. 

So just ask for the change you want. Don't you think that expecting the exact notes you prefer is a little unrealistic? 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 12:39 PM, bbko said:

Easy to figure out with a modern cash register, try doing the same at a mom & pop store.

OP, according to their website, you should have been able to get a refund if you left the paid area within 5 minutes:

Passenger has entered the Paid Area but intends to leave the Paid Area at the same station within 5 minutes from the time of entering the Paid Area. Passenger must make request for refund at the Ticket Office before leaving the Paid Area.

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/tickets/ticket-conditions.html

This is for a refund claim, which the OP didn't lodge. OP was happy to lose the paid fare, but was surprised to pay an extra baht.

On a different note, there should be a standard charge for non-travelling station patrons if they simply want to - for whatever reason - access the shops, stalls etc located within the pay areas. 

On 2/17/2022 at 5:24 PM, John Drake said:

What an idiotic question. Because I don't want to be loaded down with change. 

And ppl were just saying imagine all the stupid things farangs do.

Here we are folks, a farangs expecting a Thai to be a mind reader!