Shall We Say Goodbye to Isaan?

Guest Isaanlife

Guest Isaanlife

My wife and I have been talking lately about moving on from Isaan.

We will always have the farm (26 rai) attended to by family and a place to come visit if we ever decide to and maybe come back to die?

Also own 2 properties in the USA. One in NH and one in Florida.

But we are thinking about moving on to someplace like Spain, The Caribbean, Latin America, South America or other, that has more to offer.

Warm climate by the sea, vibrant expat community, culture, dining, more things to see and do.

We have previously done a lot of international traveling together, wife is a US Citizen now, and she enjoys the different locations and travels.

A nice sea-side community with shops and restaurants that you can walk to everything would be ideal.

All this talk kind of feels like moving away from home, which I am sure it really is.

No exact timeline, but am sure it will be sooner than later. 

Isaan will always be here and probably never change, but we both feel it is time for a new adventure somewhere else.

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Try Benidorm in Spain, good weather and sandy beaches. Hotel staff speak English. Cheap booze, full English breakfasts, English pubs. Easy to rent mobility scooters. What more could you ask for? ???? 

Albir better than Benidorm in my opinion, but to cold in the winter.

BTW my father selling his apartment there now, 450k euro.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Try Benidorm in Spain, good weather and sandy beaches. Hotel staff speak English. Cheap booze, full English breakfasts, English pubs. Easy to rent mobility scooters. What more could you ask for? ???? 

You DO realize that "Sand" is a requirement for a "Beach", right? Otherwise it's called a "Coast". :wai:

5 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

brilliantly British ????

Too funny ????

OP - You should tweet the Kardashians. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Well you could ask for more,but there are vibrant ex pat communities,lots of them.   Live outside of Benidorm,good places not far off,easy language to pick up,not squeaky pitched one, couple of hours from UK,but trains ,boats available too....Beam me up Scotty,....its got four legs and a tail that keeps me here

I don't know what is a "vibrant expat community" but I might think of my late parents. Both were +/- 10 USGA handicap golfers and Life Master ACBL bridge players. They had instant social acceptance by these virtues just about anywhere they went whether on various moves in US or on vactions domestic or international.

Me? I inherited none of these social skills.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Sounds like a place to avoid under all circumstances :-).

If Spain, then Andalusia. Malaga is a nice place.

But when I leave Thailand I'll go to Southern France (Montpellier) or Toskana in Italy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

But when I leave Thailand I'll go to Southern France (Montpellier) or Toskana in Italy.

Bye!  ????????

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JayClay said:

Never heard of a stone or gavel beach, then?...

Benidorm the worst steaking baking overcrowded beach I ever been to. Where children run around on the hot sand (can not walk to hot) and wind up sand on you and everything around you. 

Albir nice chill stone beach with less people. 

Have to aggree Valencia is a great city if ypu choose Spain, but still to cold in the winter, and to hot in the summer. 

Denia is another great fishing village between Valencia and Benidorm, but 30 years to late if you ask me, to expensive to invest in something that could be of interest.

I stayed quite alot up in Sella in the mountains climbing. Nice area as well, and not to far from the beach. Quite few of those who first bought summerhouses in that area in the 80`ies, did move om to the mountains when they retired. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

"I wanna a motorbike" - What are you, 12 years old?

Seriously - that city is designed mainly by greedy British entrepreneurs and some greedy Spanish entrepreneurs as well to rip off British tourists (and the occasional Spanish tourist who may visit there)! 

It’s cold in winter, prices are artificially inflated way above what real estate there should be worth, and in the end it’s just like any other city in the area, nothing special. 

I guess the only good thing about Benidorm may be there’s lots of Brits, so it may be easier to be around your country people… but still, hardly worth it paying those astronomical prices… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

France is a great choice, except the french. After 3 months you got free social security and It could be a future destination for sure. Italy, not so sure, maybe Croatia?

• Haha 2