Shall We Say Goodbye to Isaan?

Guest Isaanlife

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Almost anywhere is good if you are a good captain. A good captain knows how to avoid the rocky and dangerous parts. Some are just too reckless and pay the price.

Yes; I knew what you meant.

I would always choose outside the main area, like Jomtien, Alfaz Del Pi (outside Benidorm) Hua Hin soi 88, and so on

8 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I guess this is a troll post. The OP wrote this, on another post, less than 3 weeks ago and then went on to put down those who disagreed.

"

No other expats in site.

For ME, I don't miss being around them at all.

I have a few former colleagues/friends online, that I have known my whole life and can always catch up if any intelligent stimulus is needed.

However, I enjoy the peaceful easy living of being out in the country. Doing what ever I want.

For some, it might be boring, however, we do have the means to travel if we ever feel the need to hit the beaches in the south or the mountains up north or any other place.

Our part of Isaan is pretty darn boring for most folks and that is just the way I like it!" 

I guessed he had looked to deep in to the glass yesterday, since just a week ago, he advocated strongly for Isan and his happiness with his wife. Or do I recall wrong guy?

still, I can understand after many years In Isan, you will start to doubt if this is right place to be, especially when you get older, or to old. 

For me it is the heat 4 months a year, and the smoke a couple of months. That is is 6 months a year where it is not so pleasant to be here. 

Edited by Hummin

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I guessed he had looked to deep in to the glass yesterday, since just a week ago, he advocated strongly for Isan and his happiness with his wife. Or do I recall wrong guy?

still, I can understand after many years In Isan, you will start to doubt if this is right place to be, especially when you get older, or to old. 

For me it is the heat 4 months a year, and the smoke a couple of months. That is is 6 months a year where it is not so pleasant to be here. 

I've lived in Thailand 21 years. Can't say our area has smoke problems.

The heat can be excessive in the summer months, I agree. Not a deal breaker but does sometimes become a burden.

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I've lived in Thailand 21 years. Can't say our area has smoke problems.

The heat can be excessive in the summer months, I agree. Not a deal breaker but does sometimes become a burden.

We live in a long valley, with straight mountains hills on both side, as well a national forrest park as well which burn every year. 

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Sounds like a place to avoid under all circumstances :-).

If Spain, then Andalusia. Malaga is a nice place.

But when I leave Thailand I'll go to Southern France (Montpellier) or Toskana in Italy.

Why is so special Montpellier ?

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I lived there one year as an exchange student.  Nice town by the sea, famous university, airport. Just a short flight to my business in Germany and a short way to the Cevennes, the best motorbike place I know.

Excellent restaurants, mediterranean cuisine and far more ????

How many years ago ?

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Civilization....????

It used to be a place where they had wet t-shirt competitions on every disco, and many clubs had streapteese every night as well. 

Quite a few red light districts spread around, and british who fight every evening on most corners after closure time. 

a little bit wild west it used to bee. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It used to be a place where they had wet t-shirt competitions on every disco, and many clubs had streapteese every night as well. 

Quite a few red light districts spread around, and british who fight every evening on most corners after closure time. 

a little bit wild west it used to bee. 

Hence, my post.....????

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

University? Many ????

But I'm in the region each year two or three times to meet friends and on bike tours.

I like also bike tours but the price of the houses I see are very overvalued 

https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?category=9&locations=Montpellier__43.60184502691242_3.8736446272249023_8398&real_estate_type=1&square=100-max

13 minutes ago, BE88 said:

True. The south became very expensive over the years. But the prices still are below the level l'm used to in southern Bavaria.

If you mean motorbike-tours, I recommend strongly the Cevennes and the Massif Central. Crazy curvy, empty streets, bike friendly people and even police. Few radar traps ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun

14 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

As a Spaniard myself I can confidently tell you Benidorm is the <deleted>tiest place in all of Spain, lol. 

Never been there. Madrid was enough, a place where all the motorists seem to have their hands superglued to their car horns, and it was impossible to get a meal before 10 pm at night. Thailand you eat whenever you want to, and sounding a car horn to the wrong person can get you shot.

Having said that, bravo Rafa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

True. The south became very expensive over the years. But the prices still are below the level l'm used to in southern Bavaria.

If you mean motorbike-tours, I recommend strongly the Cevennes and the Massif Central. Crazy curvy, empty streets, bike friendly people and even police. Few radar traps ????

Towards Narbonne et Bezier it seems to me that the offers of houses are better and they are always in the plains very close to the Adriatic sea, I have never been there but it seems to me it is an interesting place to evaluate. I am a true motorcycle enthusiast in Thailand only, in Europe too cold most of the time, probably in the south of France the weather is more forgiving.

14 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Towards Narbonne et Bezier it seems to me that the offers of houses are better and they are always in the plains very close to the Adriatic sea, I have never been there but it seems to me it is an interesting place to evaluate. I am a true motorcycle enthusiast in Thailand only, in Europe too cold most of the time, probably in the south of France the weather is more forgiving.

Narbonne and Beziers are nice towns too. The whole Languedoc-Roussilon region is great. Some km off coast the property prices are a bit lower.

Biking is fun all over the south between March and October. When I was there last June we had about 32 degrees and I was happy to have a perorated leather jacket.

If you ever go there, don't miss a Cevennes bike tour. There are a few very nice small biker hotels too where you meet other enthusiasts, get great food and a place for your ride.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Never been there. Madrid was enough, a place where all the motorists seem to have their hands superglued to their car horns, and it was impossible to get a meal before 10 pm at night. Thailand you eat whenever you want to, and sounding a car horn to the wrong person can get you shot.

Having said that, bravo Rafa.

lololol, having lived in Spain and China, I can tell you the fact that the horn is seldom used in Thailand feels amazing. Flashing the lights most of the time does the same job without giving you a headache... 

As for the meals, yeah, that is the normal time for having dinner 9-10 pm, and so the normal time for lunch is 2-3pm. 

Edited by alextrat1966
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Algarve has been an English  speaking enclave for decades. There is no language  problem there.

It's most certainly  does  not rain excessively in the winter.

Thousands of people for decades  have found the sea to be comfortable  for swimming and there are swimming  pools of course.

You are badly informed or just being awkward for the sake if it.

What to do in the Algarve when it Rains: The Ultimate Guide

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189111-i330-k1259827-Is_the...

The Mediterranean is warmer than the Atlantic but the Algarve coast is heavily influenced by the water flow from the Mediterranean into the Atlantic so it's much

Edited by fredscats

34 minutes ago, fredscats said:

What to do in the Algarve when it Rains: The Ultimate Guide

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189111-i330-k1259827-Is_the...

The Mediterranean is warmer than the Atlantic but the Algarve coast is heavily influenced by the water flow from the Mediterranean into the Atlantic so it's much

Thanks. I lived  in the area so get my information  from experience  rather than books...To try to understand portugal from a book is like trying to understand Thailand by reading about it rather than living here. Tavira was my favourite place on the Algarve back in 1980..