Police confirm action against taxi driver over threats after overcharging case in Phuket

webfact

2 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Common man, this poor taxi driver is trying to make a dishonest living so what's wrong in that?? Being a cop he should able to empathize with a fellow crook!! What kind of world we are in now, cant even fleece in Phuket now?? What next, Pattya ?? Bangkok?? 

Don’t be a douche all ya sad life 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Maj-Gen Sermphan Sirikhong assured the public that the police would take action. The provincial chief of Phuket said that tourists could have confidence in the force.

Let me guess: That is the first time that the police heard about someone be overcharged, correct? Because otherwise such thing obviously doesn't happen in Phuket. Really? 

And somehow I got the impression Phuket's mafia is worse than Sicily. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Follow the money..

10 years ago only Patong had 600 tuktuks.. Each tuktuk pays 10,000 baht per month to be in the club... Thats 6 million baht a month going somewhere ?? Whose benefitting from that ??

If you pay 10,000 baht a month you expect something for it, that something is to charge what you like, act how you like, park where you like, and be totally protected from any consequences by the authorities you have paid off.. Its simple, they have paid for the right to that captive island market, they have paid for the right to beat up and threaten any free market alternative. They have paid for the right to sustain on 2 - 3 rides per day only and sleep in the sala all afternoon, they have paid for the right to hold remote hotels hostage, they have paid for the right to talk abusively to customers (and thier companions) they have paid for the right to operate like the cowboys they want to be, protected from on high.. Then in turn the job attracts those whose lack of skills and ambition matches a desire for acting tough and bully boy attitudes where they know they are fully protected. Anyone who likes to dish it out a bit as a bully (in a group with weapons) can be celebrated as an enforcer in that clan.. Its a perfect match. 

Why does no Thai journalist do an under cover expose ?? Why does no local paper connect the dots ?? Why is the entire society afraid of the power these people hold and not a single person willing to act to shine a light on these aspects of 'Thainess'.. Because to do so is to shine a light into fundamental aspects of the Thai character. Clan loyalty trumps morals or laws, not even a casual respect for fair service for fair work, everything is about monopoly and use of force to protect it, everything is about abusing a position of power to extract the maximum personal gain possible with the least effort.

This is much deeper rot than a single loudmouth thuggish taxi, its a 'locals first' culture that promotes cartels and monopolies protected by lawless / above the law forces who have bought and paid for that right. This is why the issue never seems to go away..  You have to fix the culture to fix the taxis.

An early nominee for Post of the Year, think you hit the nail on the head.

Edited by TimBKK
Grammar
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, zig said:

If they would turn on the meter then for 7-8 km it would likely be less than 100 baht

Yeah, maybe I am used to the manipulated ones. Not went with Taxi since 7 year back, so thought the price went up.

I just checked on Grab, from Phuket Town to Patong Beach (9.32 kilometers) is 367 baht. This is at about 4 PM. There's another setting on Grab that offers cheaper trips, but I've never gotten anyone to pick me up with it. Prices are lower when it's not a peak time -- under 300, a lot of the time for this same trip.

Things have improved a lot in the past few months, on Grab. I no longer find taxi prices a big problem in Phuket.

InDriver and Bolt here, too. You can beat Grab prices by quite a bit, if you like. Frankly, I don't mind paying a fair price.

But if you're wandering around on the street and ask a taxi driver, yeah. Chances are good they'll try to double the price.

I hired a taxi in Bangkok to take me to a Bangkok Bank ATM and return to my hotel. By the time he found one there was ฿75 on the meter so I figured the total would be ฿150 but he took off in a different direction, cut through a back lane and landed me to the hotel for a total of ฿100.

Not all taxi drivers are crooks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

So only ripping off customers for 400 baht is OK then as that can be argued over. Should all be metered, Phuket is 40 years behind the times

Meters need to be turned on. They have them in Pattaya but they've probably seized up and rusted due to lack of use. Probably the sea air is to blame.

10 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

This is much deeper rot than a single loudmouth thuggish taxi, its a 'locals first' culture that promotes cartels and monopolies protected by lawless / above the law forces who have bought and paid for that right. This is why the issue never seems to go away..  You have to fix the culture to fix the taxis.

I don't know why your post received so many likes.  This is not a cultural issue at all.  It is a morality issue.  All Thais know that corruption is wrong, but very few have the moral fortitude to do anything about it.  Thais will chose wrong over right every time...if there is money involved.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

In the video a group of aggressive taxi drivers in Kamala are arguing with a Thai man of Indian descent about charging 600 baht to go from there to Patong.

The fee should be 400 baht and even that can be bargained, said officials.

200 baht covid insurance? wonder what the markup would have been for a falang? ????