Two young teenagers injured after “popping a wheelie” on their motorbike and colliding with a sedan in Pattaya

webfact

20 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes I know about sedan/automobile but it is not common  usage. Its obscure and like 'popping' its somewhat  arcane for 'headline English' I envisage an old balding writer/hack completely out of touch with the modern world but trying to be trendy thus putting 'sedan' and 'popping' in an English  language  headline. Its very entertaining!

perhaps they wanted to let us know before hand that it was another outts control pickup 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

And I drank pop as a kid..I understand  the multiplicity of uses of the word pop especially  as phrasal verbs but in a head line some English  words don't seem appropriate but I like this noun phrase lol Arizona-otter-pop

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/arizona-otter-pop

What ever floats your boat.....????

Now there's another use of the word boat, amazing isn't it............????

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A teenage motorbike rider and his passenger have sustained multiple injures after “popping a wheelie” before colliding with a sedan in the Banglamung district yesterday.

That wheelie went wong....

6 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

As I wrote yesterday... they are too young... first get some brains and be aware of dangers on the road, than get an education and than ride a motorcycle with limited speed. minors and young teenagers should not be allowed

But, but, but, I was young once, and have not forgotten what us young folk got up too.....????

35 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

As I wrote yesterday... they are too young... first get some brains and be aware of dangers on the road, than get an education and than ride a motorcycle with limited speed. minors and young teenagers should not be allowed

Education….

The one subject nearly every student in every school in every country is drivers Ed. 

It’s astonishing that decision makers don’t realize that while maths, science, language, humanities, physical, education & arts are important - some subjects such as swimming & driving are potentially life saving… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes I know about sedan/automobile but it is not common  usage. Its obscure and like 'popping' its somewhat  arcane for 'headline English' I envisage an old balding writer/hack completely out of touch with the modern world but trying to be trendy thus putting 'sedan' and 'popping' in an English  language  headline. Its very entertaining!

Go prowl around Zigwheels you'll find plenty of references to new sedans.

"Entertaining" how the English speakers nitpick about different terms of their (not my) language.

Now I am uncertain whether I should drive my saloon, or my sedan or maybe again take the limousine?

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I've done wheelies, seen people doing wheelies but never seen popping and I ain't sure what a sedan is doing on the road these days? 'Sedan'?

sedan chair: [noun] a covered chair that is carried on poles by two people and that was used in the past for carrying a passenger through the streets of a city.

Sedans or pallequins are used to carry the Holy relics and Buddha  statues during the Phuket  vegetarian festival.

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"Entertaining" how the English speakers nitpick about different terms of their (not my) language.

Now I am uncertain whether I should drive my saloon, or my sedan or maybe again take the limousine?

As long as you don't 'pop your clogs'...

Now " nitpicking"...,there's a word with an interesting derivation..blah blah blah..

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Perhaps their teacher/translator was  an old writer/hack completely out of touch with the modern world but trying to be trendy..

Perhaps it's you out of touch.

From wikipedia

A sedan or saloon (British English) is a passenger car in a three-box configuration with separate compartments for engine, passenger, and cargo.

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

not a helmet in sight. ????

No, there was no helmet law back then, I never wore one until I bought a motorcycle, a thing I really needed one for, though looking back, I was lucky, never came off the thing...????

2 hours ago, transam said:

No, there was no helmet law back then, I never wore one until I bought a motorcycle, a thing I really needed one for, though looking back, I was lucky, never came off the thing...????

Yes, many of us were, I had a helmet before the laws came in, and used to get pointed at by other riders, however I was a nurse and often working in A&E.

• Like 2