Neighbor's second hand smoke is driving me nuts.

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

And Mark Twain lived to be 74 at a time when life expectancy for men in the US was under fifty.

A lot of people like smoking, and don't want to quit.  

And a lot of people like Heroin, Morphine, Cocaine, and do not want to quit.

They are all druggies

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Is that what you have to do when the condominium supposed to be smoke free? 

Smokers always have limited non smokers freedom! And still trying their best to execute their freedom above ours. 

Once smokers thought smoking with children in the car was okay, and now still executing their rights where ever they can, even it's not allowed. As long nobody physically stops them, or threatened them by law enforcement. 

The bastards of 2. Millennium

Christ on a bike!

If the bloke was standing next to the OP whilst smoking, or inside, I'd agree with you, but the OP is complaining about someone smoking that is relatively far away, outside and it lasts for five minutes.

Sensible solutions have been suggested (the fan idea), but that doesn't seem to be enough for some of the rabid anti-smokers on here. He has to be persecuted for what, in the end, is a trivial matter.

I'm betting the OP will die of a heart attack before the smoker near him dies of cancer. If little things like this raise your blood pressure, then it's inevitable.

Too many non-smokers whine about showing more consideration, but, it seems to me, to be a one way street.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Christ on a bike!

If the bloke was standing next to the OP whilst smoking, or inside, I'd agree with you, but the OP is complaining about someone smoking that is relatively far away, outside and it lasts for five minutes.

Sensible solutions have been suggested (the fan idea), but that doesn't seem to be enough for some of the rabid anti-smokers on here. He has to be persecuted for what, in the end, is a trivial matter.

I'm betting the OP will die of a heart attack before the smoker near him dies of cancer. If little things like this raise your blood pressure, then it's inevitable.

Too many non-smokers whine about showing more consideration, but, it seems to me, to be a one way street.

One smoke, two smokes gets to 30, and as a guy who enjoy using my balcony early morning as evening before bedtime, and when the temperature is right sleep with open doors and windows. Nothing bothers me more than something could have been avoided just by following the rules in the condominium! 

OP checked before he rented, that smoking was prohibited in the condos! 

It is an endless loop we are in! Who's right here? You tell me! 

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Can you provide a link to where he says that?  In the first post he says:

When I moved in here late 2018 there was a reassuring note on the wall of the elevator that said something like “Do not smoke on the balcony. Do not disturb your neighbor.” or words to that effect.

Which does not mean it's prohibited the way I read it.

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

One smoke, two smokes gets to 30, and as a guy who enjoy using my balcony early morning as evening before bedtime, and when the temperature is right sleep with open doors and windows. Nothing bothers me more than something could have been avoided just by following the rules in the condominium! 

It is an endless loop we are in! Who's right here? You tell me! 

No, it was prohibited in the common areas which is common and sensible, but don't think they can can stop you smoking in your own condo. A smoker wants to buy/rent a condo. Do you think that he will be turned away? Do you think the smoker will want to rent somewhere where he can't light up? I doubt it. No, he'll have been asked to smoke on the balcony. 

Of course, the OP could find out first by actually talking to him before resorting to more serious measures. Hope the smoker tells him to FO and mind his own business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

No, it was prohibited in the common areas which is common and sensible, but don't think they can can stop you smoking in your own condo. A smoker wants to buy/rent a condo. Do you think that he will be turned away? Do you think the smoker will want to rent somewhere where he can't light up? I doubt it. No, he'll have been asked to smoke on the balcony. 

Of course, the OP could find out first by actually talking to him before resorting to more serious measures. Hope the smoker tells him to FO and mind his own business.

Never tell anybody to FO before you know the guy on forehand. I do not know you, and you do not know me, and then it is best for both parts to be careful about what you saying and what you do! 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Never tell anybody to FO before you know the guy on forehand. I do not know you, and you do not know me, and then it is best for both parts to be careful about what you saying and what you do! 

You do know that you can tell someone to FO without actually using the words FO, right?

For example; "I pay for this condo and I'm already showing consideration by not smoking indoors. Why should I let a perfect stranger tell me what to do in my own apartment. No, I'm going to continue smoking on the balcony, why not get a fan"?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:24 AM, KhaoYai said:

The only thing I 'get' is that anti smokers have no recognition of other people's rights and seek to impose their views on others.  I am considerate - even to myself. I don't smoke in my house, even though I live alone - why? I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke either.  However, outside I don't have a problem with it - the smoke dissipates. I'd suggest those that do are simply focusing on it because of their anti-smoking views.

Sounds like you're bloke in the unit underneath the OP's.

• Like 1

@andre0720 you seem like a real expert on this topic.

Are you also one of the Vegans who say new born babies should not drink mother milk, as it is not "vegan"?

Get a life or bigger condo than one with 4x2m balcony in a non smoking condominium, or move into a house far away from any neighbors.

Or close your doors and spend a bit money on AC = problem is fixed except the smoke will be waiting on your balcony just to kill you as soon as you open the door.

OP still did not say that smoking is prohibited + this is on 20th floor (water front) ??? where is the problem unless ones shoes are getting to small? (buy new shoes).

Cheer up, it cannot be as bad as you say. Druggie!

• Like 1

What about an interactive live english teacher doing his job on his balcony? O9:30 - 11:45 and 14: - 15:45 every day? I had one of those, but he moved inside quite fast when I started to play music on my balcony, and after a few times he took the point when I stopped the music when he moved inside. Quite funny, since we just smiled to each other after that. Point taken and no harm.

Another scenario we had with an russian business man who did his online work and did his phone calls at our beach restaurant at Koh Samui. He would walk around talk in phone, smoke his cigarette while he was talking on phone. After a couple of times we did not come back there, and the staff was sorry, but did not dear to say anything. He did not live on the resort, he just used it as an office, like many online workers do in Thailand for free wifi for an instance.

common sense do not com easy among people who think they have more rights than others. 

Edited by Hummin

This is a problem which cannot be avoided unless you move to an unattached house.

Even then, you will face smoke from many places, including neighboring countries.

Best advice, therefore:

aa. Invest in AC machines in every room.

bb. Use double pane glazing.

cc. Also, use the XiaoMi air purifiers in every room.

dd. Cigarette smoke is truly a terrible problem when it rises from floors below. Nothing one can do....except....resort to technology or move to Pitcairn. 

13 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Are you talking about cigarette smoke? Hard to believe that you can smell much. Surely the wind would disperse most of it. The guy is entitled to smoke on HIS balcony.

Actually, truth be told, smokers downstairs can cause much discomfort upstairs to nonsmokers.  This is really true.

This problem can become very discomforting to nonsmokers...yet....this problem, also, is not easily solved in a building with multiple renters.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Buying a fan

Smoking is a dinosaur problem, and shouldn't be a problem today. When or if buying a flat in a condominium I do not want a neighbour to dictate and shrink my freedom with smoke smell on my balcony or laud music at anytime at the day or night.

I'm not the one who should sit inside because of someone smoking, the smokers can sit inside and smoke with closed windows and doors, problem solved.

I understand smokers or those who do not get annoyed by smoking to understand!

I chosed the freedom to build away people, problem solved. The freedom to what you want when you want without close  neighbours!

Edited by Hummin

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Buying a fan

Does help 0%. Not at all.

Nothing smells as disgusting as an addicts smoke from cigarettes.

Check your condo, many update their regulations and enforce the law which prohibits smoking on balconies in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Smoking is a dinosaur problem, and shouldn't be a problem today. When or if buying a flat in a condominium I do not want a neighbour to dictate and shrink my freedom with smoke smell on my balcony or laud music at anytime at the day or night.

I'm not the one who should sit inside because of someone smoking, the smokers can sit inside and smoke with closed windows and doors, problem solved.

I understand smokers or those who do not get annoyed by smoking to understand!

I chosed the freedom to build away people, problem solved. The freedom to what you want when you want without close  neighbours!

Good fences make good neighbors, maybe...

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,

That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,

And spills the upper boulders in the sun;

And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.

The work of hunters is another thing:

I have come after them and made repair

Where they have left not one stone on a stone,

But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,

To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,

No one has seen them made or heard them made,

But at spring mending-time we find them there.

I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;

And on a day we meet to walk the line

And set the wall between us once again.

We keep the wall between us as we go.

To each the boulders that have fallen to each.

And some are loaves and some so nearly balls

We have to use a spell to make them balance:

‘Stay where you are until our backs are turned!’

We wear our fingers rough with handling them.

Oh, just another kind of out-door game,

One on a side. It comes to little more:

There where it is we do not need the wall:

He is all pine and I am apple orchard.

My apple trees will never get across

And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.

He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’

Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder

If I could put a notion in his head:

‘Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it

Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know

What I was walling in or walling out,

And to whom I was like to give offense.

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,

That wants it down.’ I could say ‘Elves’ to him,

But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather

He said it for himself. I see him there

Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top

In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.

He moves in darkness as it seems to me,

Not of woods only and the shade of trees.

He will not go behind his father's saying,

And he likes having thought of it so well

He says again, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’

Therefore, I say unto you.... Never buy a condo, or you might be taken for a fool.

Rather, buy 20 hectares of land, and build your house in the center of your property.

And then, grow high hedges.

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

the freedom to what you want when you want

In Thailand I enjoy the freedom to ride in the village with no helmet. I also enjoy the freedom to ride the wrong way on my scooter on a one-way street, etc. 

It seems to me that most others who harp on about their freedom on this forum seem to forget the freedoms of others.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

In Thailand I enjoy the freedom to ride in the village with no helmet. I also enjoy the freedom to ride the wrong way on my scooter on a one-way street, etc. 

It seems to me that most others who harp on about their freedom on this forum seem to forget the freedoms of others.

In my first post I state I lived with notorious smoker below, and it annoyed me, but I did nothing about. However I delt with someone who streamed  fox news early morning on his balcony! 

Living in a condo, is not for me!

If you seriously mean non smokers have to sit inside or get a fan because of smokers freedom, you are wrong! That's my opinion! 

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you seriously mean non smokers have to sit inside or get a fan because of smokers freedom,

Freedom works both ways. We have to accept the freedoms of others if we live in a community.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Freedom works both ways. We have to accept the freedoms of others if we live in a community.

We aggree on one point! I choose to stay outside community as much I can, because I can, and I have no intention to sacrifice my happiness because of what I see as egoism from others. I have a choice, many do not have a choice and are stuck with what they have. That's why this tread is a genius when it comes to make people understand when moving to Thailand, they should think twice before they buy or make long term rent, and become stuck one place. Be it in falange village with one meter separation between houses, apartments, or live in Thai community in city or in a rural village. 

Noise and smoke wherever you go, ø I do not need that from my neighbours.