Electrical worker dies after basket become detached and he falls from crane

webfact

4pm1.jpg

Daily News caption: When your number is up...

Daily News reported that when your number is up, that's the end.

"Duang theung khaat". 

They were referring to the death of an electrical worker who was doing repair work in a basket atop a crane when the basket came loose and fell to the ground.

Rattanathibet police and rescue services rushed to the scene in a car park at the Samakhee housing estate in Muang Nonthaburi yesterday.

4pm2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Attempts to revive the man failed. He was named as 33 year old Damrong.

A grocer nearby told the media that they had heard a loud noise. Colleagues of the man tried to save him with CPR but their efforts proved fruitless. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Additional information required here, for the interim it appears to be sloppy safety procedures as even if a connection failed there must have been some signs that would have been spotted following adequate equipment safety checks. - RIP

Spotting faults means someone has to check... safety checks in basic English.

There-in lays the problem.

10 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Additional information required here, for the interim it appears to be sloppy safety procedures as even if a connection failed there must have been some signs that would have been spotted following adequate equipment safety checks. - RIP

You mean the bamboo pole would have shown cracks before failing

23 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Errr wot's a safety check?

I just zoomed in on the photo of the full story, as a former crane technician, I can assure you that cage is not a standard crane basket, it looks like some odd bod has made it, from incorrect too thin steel and the pigeon sh!t welding has failed, that would never pass an x-ray test as all crane welds should. Safe Trusted Thailand.4pm1.jpg.15a28a430e09514a107a84dd2588e9a1.jpg.98f0d91f6be0ebdd9188acbedc9e2857.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like something they fabricated themselves.....

Opps guy above me already made that comment..

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I just zoomed in on the photo of the full story, as a former crane technician, I can assure you that cage is not a standard crane basket, it looks like some odd bod has made it, from incorrect too thin steel and the pigeon sh!t welding has failed, that would never pass an x-ray test as all crane welds should. Safe Trusted Thailand.4pm1.jpg.15a28a430e09514a107a84dd2588e9a1.jpg.98f0d91f6be0ebdd9188acbedc9e2857.jpg

We see alot of shoddy maintenance here. A real waste of life. I cannot imagine the horror he felt as the basket was breaking loose. Will the company face any liability? 

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We see alot of shoddy maintenance here. A real waste of life. I cannot imagine the horror he felt as the basket was breaking loose. Will the company face any liability? 

It should be who ever authorized the making of that shoddily made basket  and those who allowed it to be fitted.  maintenance on that should not even be an issue if made correctly, except every 10 years, paint removed from welds and all x-ray checked and only by qualified guys and any defects/cracks re-welded by boiler makers/ or similar qualified welders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, actonion said:

My Wife's brother, a Government Electrical worker died exactly the same way  a few years ago, Crane broke,   and he was Electrocuted............Thai's don't do Maintenance!!

When I read in the OP that CPR was used I assumed the victim was electrocuted in this case as well.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, Geoffggi said:

The electrical worker in the OP was unlikely to have been MEA staff, he would have been an independent contractor, this is why corners were cut (the steel basket is not MEA equipment, nor is the truck painted in PEA colours). Contractors have very low standards. . .

I work on high voltage systems almost daily. We have four transformers that are regularly popping fuses because of snakes. I have my own set of hot-sticks for emergencies but sometimes I'm just too busy and it's easier to just call the PEA out to swap out a fuse in the middle of the night, so I talk face to face to PEA linesmen on a regular basis when I go to sign the callout bill when they've finished. They're always uniformed but usually smell of whiskey. . .

True story: A few years ago one of our staff was electrocuted, 30-something years old. He was on a steel roof, welding bits of metal together, in the rain, wearing flip flops or bare footed, accounts from other staff vary. He somehow managed to get himself between high voltage and ground and was killed. We provided him with all the right safety gear, shoes, footwear, harness etc etc and he'd almost certainly still be alive if they were used, but for whatever reason this was just too inconvenient for him, so now he's dead and that's that.

I won't work with anyone that doesn't follow my standards on safety (as I said, I regularly work on high voltage systems) and if anyone turns up for work smelling of alcohol they're dismissed there and then. I teach my children the same standards. If other foreigners are happy to toss their common sense out of the window, up to them. It's the next generation i.e. my kids that will drag Thailand forward. . .

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:26 PM, Boomer6969 said:

The "basket" is makeshift piece of dung, obviously. RIP

Looks homemade, probably not designed and tested for purpose.

Safety standards for lifting and crane operations are woeful here. Especially those for personnel lifting and working at height.