How does Thailand’s 300 baht tourism tax compare to other countries?

webfact

tourists-thailand-696x436.jpg

Tourists and locals walk along popular backpacker destination Khao San Road. File photo.

By Jonathan Fairfield

The Thai government recently announced plans to collect a 300 baht fee from each international visitor.

The fee will be collected from April and will be added to the tax when a visitor purchases an airline ticket to Thailand.

The revenue generated from the fee will be used for infrastructure improvements and tourist insurance coverage.

The insurance coverage will be provided in the way of a central fund which will be used in the event a tourist gets sick, has an accident or requires medical treatment in the event they do not have private medical insurance.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/how-does-thailands-300-baht-tourism-tax-compare-to-other-countries/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-02-07

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Card said:

In the not too distant past Thailand had a 500 baht tourist tax, so 300 is not too bad.

'Exit Fee' is what I thought it was called; now included as an item in the air ticket. In some ways I hope Thailand does wreck it's tourism industry, I don't depend on it  

• Like 2

So are tourists no longer required to have travel insurance from April 1? And what if they have an accident here, will the really be covered in full? If that is really the case, this is huge - "Come to Thailand and crash your scooter - we got you covered! Amazing Thailand." This is great PR and I would fully support that. No more GoFundMe campaigns from careless backpackers.

What about Thai people returning from an overseas trip? Are they also subject to this tax? I've definitely not read anything saying they are exempt.

Same goes for long-term foreign residents. We live here, we pay taxes, we have health insurance already.

From information I read when this tax was first announced, the "tourism infrastructure" portion of the fee was going to be mostly allocated to the private sector. What could possibly go wrong with that idea?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The revenue generated from the fee will be used for infrastructure improvements and tourist insurance coverage.

So, why do tourists still need insurance to enter Thailand? Or will that requirement be scrapped once the 300-baht fee kicks in?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, KK Area said:

So, how does it compare to other countries? That was the question, wasn't it? 

Don't show Thailand this old article.

That will give them an idea thatthey are undercharging tourists with only 300 baht ???? 

https://www.insider.com/countries-that-require-a-tourist-tax-2019-2#japan-enacted-a-tourist-tax-at-the-beginning-of-2019-2

6 minutes ago, Virt said:

Don't show Thailand this old article.

That will give them an idea thatthey are undercharging tourists with only 300 baht ???? 

https://www.insider.com/countries-that-require-a-tourist-tax-2019-2#japan-enacted-a-tourist-tax-at-the-beginning-of-2019-2

Thanks , mate. I thought I've read something like this about Bhutan. And yes, 300 thb is cheap. (And I wont tell anyone.) ????

Departure tax is 600 Bht.. They used to collect 500 Bht at airport, when it went to 600 they had it added to airline tickets. Hotels charge a room tax of 50 Bht per night & now 300 Bht arrival tax.

It is still nothing to even get knickers in a twist

• Confused 1

Frankly if this really does give insurance cover to the extent indicated I would be prepared to pay 1,000 baht, since at 77 the proxy Thai insurance firms won't cover me and immigration won't accept foreign travel policies because the wording isn't exactly right; eg in a quoted example last year "unlimited cover" was rejected because it wasn't the 50,000 USD stipulated at that time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

Why not actually, IF we could be sure that the money was used in a proper way as described above... 

You will never be sure especially with the Junta in charge. If it is true then the compulsary insurance scam should be stopped.

• Like 2

Are we adding on the 500 baht exit tax that is already built into tickets?

central fund which will be used in the event a tourist gets sick, has an accident or requires medical treatment in the event they do not have private medical insurance.

So tourists do not require  insurance now......?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1