Will Western tourists ever go off visiting Thailand?

webfact

4 minutes ago, tigerfeet said:

What about the expats that have been hear years that cannot get insurance because of medical and age reasons should they pack up go home leave the thousands of families that depend on their pension .? Just a thought as I am in that category

'They' not me, will tell you that's why you should have  800,000 in the bank or 65,000 income a month.

PS i'm not saying good or bad, I'm just saying that is very likely the answer you will get from 'them'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

On top of the well-discussed quarantine hurdles, you can now add the rising Baht as a dealbreaker. The higher Baht crimps spending, hurts exports, and should force foreigners to look elsewhere.

I think you called it right there, 

"force foreigners to look elsewhere", force being the operative word. And money being the use of force. 

I don't see too many going elsewhere because of the traditional listed complaints. 

5 minutes ago, Prometheus33 said:

There were criticisms in the past and shall continue from a few "unhappy" travelers  /tourists/expats . But , let us face it, none of the other destinations , Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore (?!), Philippines, Dubai (?!) etc. etc. Well, none match what Thailand has to offer. What more, there is NO mass exodus of Westerners from Thailand ( a wishful think-aloud of the disgruntled few !!)

Yes, Thailand needs to streamline, make-easy a few stringent rules it has put in place because of the pandemic. And this is likely to happen sooner than expected (hopefully) .

So, enjoy , live , be happy   .. life is  beautiful , let us make the journey a merry tale  for ourselves, for those with us and for posterity to smile  ... 

It was heck of a ride !!

Very well said Mr P. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smedly said:

seeing as pretty much all restrictions have now been lifted in western countries this is a pretty stupid headline question 

I have a better question 

How does Thailand recover its tourism and also stop the mass exodus of expats/retirees from leaving 

There's a presumption there. That Thailand wants to stop the exodus.

This TED talk, which popped up as "recommended for me" just last night, seems to link to this topic. I found it interesting. The talk was aired in September 2019 and pertains to SEAsia in general (in particular those nations that were colonized in the past). Although Thailand was not colonized, there are points of relevance in the talk. 

Watching the talk could prove to be enlightening for anybody who has yet to view tourism/expatriation to SEAsia through the same lens that a number of educated SEAsians may currently be doing. Younger generations may wish to change the way that they and their country are portrayed to the rest of the world.

I'll drop the link here if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, twix38 said:

I am just waiting until I can return without any restrictions except a PCR test to enter without any quarantine for vaccinated folk.

Then I will return to sort out my affairs and complete my relocation back to uk permanently. Far too many downsides to living in Thailand and I did that for 13 years.

Pollution, pesticides, poor air quality, hospitals not actually competent often in my experience, Sun exposure damage build up often under estimated, flipping street dogs, xenophobic population, jumping through immigration hoops, 2 tier pricing and ripoff, dangerous driving, political shambles, exch rate and no longer cheap....so much more, but I'll stop there.

Just waiting to return to leave for good!!

Before I would return to UK I would rather try North Korea instead.

But honestly go for SPAIN. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tigerfeet said:

What about the expats that have been hear years that cannot get insurance because of medical and age reasons should they pack up go home leave the thousands of families that depend on their pension .? Just a thought as I am in that category

You had years up front to get a proper insurance you could continue past 67 if you started early enough. But I guess some arrived to late and did not have the resources then, and do not have now! 

Life is not fair for some, 

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Western tourists will never go off visiting Thailand. In fact, quite the contrary. There are many reasons…

Simple, transparent, user-friendly visa procedures.

Supportive, welcoming, 'jai dee' government.

Uniform and fair application of common sense rules and regulations.

Reasonable prices for all tourist services.

Honesty and integrity of tourist-related businesses.

Unspoiled natural attractions.

Incorruptible security and world-class public safety.

Yes…without question…untold multitudes of well-heeled, free-spending, quality farangs will be soon be arriving...to much TAT fanfare.

???? Have you been on Anutin's wacky baccy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They most likely will until Thailand has balls to skip all testing requirements upon arrival. If you’re vaccinated and can show a negative test, then by all means things will get back to normal. And with time, skip the tests all together - that’s the way to do it.  

• Like 2