Sex talk: Why Thailand needs to have healthy conversations about sex

webfact

te5.jpg

By Natcha Patanasophon

Thailand is still stuck in the past when it comes to sex education. Experts say that the country needs to get serious about it.

Sex is a rarely discussed topic in Thailand, and it’s been like this for centuries. But conversations around sex education with a focus on gender identity and sexuality are finally starting to change.

Chaitong Yingpeant, an adult content creator who prefers to use an anonymous name, told Thai Enquirer that the country suffers from a long history of distorted information about sex. It’s a problem rooted in conservative beliefs, he said, one where traditional opinion is that young Thais should avoid sensitive conversations about sex in their entirety.

“Thai society now misunderstands sexuality,” Chaitong said.  “Adults and the government need to focus on providing proper sex education. If people receive correct information, then there will be less misunderstandings about sexuality and sexually transmitted diseases.”

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/37450/sex-talk-why-thailand-needs-to-have-healthy-conversations-about-sex/

ti.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-02-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand is still stuck in the past when it comes to sex education. Experts say that the country needs to get serious about it.

but the country is pretty serious about  that, only people here prefer practice, i.e. learning through trial and error. theory is so boring, indeed

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Adults and the government need to focus on providing proper sex education

Really?

What should the government do? Teach it in school like English? With the same success?

And about those adults: How many adults have a healthy view of sex and are willing to talk about that?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RandiRona said:

"Sex talk"....  Looks like a on phone service offered to horn dogs during their forced quarantine along with a lady drink on live youtube. Only International credit cards accepted and charge per second. 2 months deposit is must.

It's not called Sex Talk, it's called Sex Education....who writes these reports??

Buzz killer, its much more fun talking about sex than what the OP article intended...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The problem here is the time it takes for people to actually reach a level where they can be called adult. To me that seems to be somewhere between the age of 30 - 40 if ever. Even then, they are still just laughing about problems, never take them serious and refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is important, but why don't they teach people how to drive as a priority.

Exactly

Road safety and swimming lessons would save so many kids.

The danger of STDs is blow WAY out of proportion to the point that our obsession with sexual health is something of a phenomenon.

However, teen pregnancy is pretty damaging, IMO.

Edited by 2009
  • Confused 1

I was nearly 40 when I used a condom for the first time. In my younger years every girl was on the pill and teenage pregnancies were quasi unheard of. 

This may have affected the fertility of some girls as chlamydia was probably running wild. My first wife could conceive because of damaged fallopian tubes. Doctors then invented IVF, and got richer..

• Like 1

Teen pregnancy seems quite common in Thailand and probably many parts of the world where the populace receive a poor education. It's always so sad to see a young girl lumbered with a child before she even turns 19, with virtually no prospects. It never ceases to amaze me how mnay young girls end up with total bums, get pregnant, the bloke disappears and she's left alone to raise the toddler. It all starts with education. Not only in Thailand but all over the world. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

What should the government do? Teach it in school like English? With the same success?

And about those adults: How many adults have a healthy view of sex and are willing to talk about that?

Talking of adults, I find it amusing that all over the world when people refer to having sex they call it sleeping together. It isn't the same thing. The whole planet is embarrassed to talk about the most essential thing needed to continue the human race. Bizarre.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Halliday said:

It never ceases to amaze me how mnay young girls end up with total bums, get pregnant, the bloke disappears and she's left alone to raise the toddler.

Yeah,it really is rampant.

However, I am not sure it is so often the blokes disappearing as it is the girl's family keeping the child and telling the bloke to go away.

I have personally witnessed this and had experience with it.

Amicable co-parenting after separation is not in Thai culture according to my EX. They don't handle these situations with much maturity.

And it took a lot from me to get her to do things the Western way after we broke up.

• Sad 1

Schools need to have a scare lesson segment on the practical consequences of early pregnancy, though I wonder if enough of the kids are even smart enough to listen. I'm male, but I had my one and only offspring at age 49; I knew I was too immature before then.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Your statement is wrong and misleading.

Gonorrhea in men is quite obvious and easily treated. In women, the symptoms can be so mild as to be ignored. Untreated gonorrhea in women in many cases leads to infertility.

Genital herpes is VERY common, more than 10% of the population in most countries. In some African countries, over 80%. While it is treatable with antivirals, they only suppress the symptoms, and recurring outbreaks are quite common. It's a life sentence, and can lead to a person being shunned by sexual partners.

I treat STD's with the same respect I would give to a jar of nitroglycerine, I suggest you do too.

Lol, I loved your last sentence. If you mean both sex and nitroglycerin are good for the heart, I can't disagree there.

Most people don't get bent out of shape with worry over strep throat or bacterial bronchitis, so why Clamydia or Gonorrhea? Sure, there can be complications in rare cases. Pneumonia kills too, right?

Most people don't feel concerned with hand/foot warts, but genital warts ..oh no! Doctors actually consider genital warts as an unavoidable and normal part of human sex.

Herpes are harmless, whether it is a coldsore or otherwise. Genital herpes were not considered a big deal at all until the late 70s when they invented the antivirals and the company that made them launched a massive advertising scare campaign, which was apparently very effective, cos now we view them differently from coldsores.

Untreated Syphilis is definitely scary, but it's hasn't been a big deal since the invention of Penicillin.

HIV, obviously not something you want in your life, but it is exceedingly rare in heterosexuals. A few hundred new cases each year in heterosexual males in Thailand these days. Double that for women. Vast majority found in gay men (a few thousand a year).

For perspective: will you be one of the few hundred straight males to be diagnosed with HIV this year? Or will you be one of the few hundred to die over '7 Deadly Days of Songkran' on the roads this year? And which one plays on your mind more?

And although HIV is serious, we get really anxious about it -- yet most of us never give a second thought to more serious (and more common) things, such as: heart failure, stroke, cancer, organ failure, serious accident, disability, instant death from something, dementia, depression, even complications from diabetes (foot amputations, blindness).

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm always amazed at the lack of knowledge, even among bargirls, about sex.  They don't seem to talk between themselves about it.  About how to handle a farrang and maximise their earnings yes, but the mechanics of what happens are, beyond the basics, poorly understood.

4 hours ago, 2009 said:

Lol, I loved your last sentence. If you mean both sex and nitroglycerin are good for the heart, I can't disagree there.

Most people don't get bent out of shape with worry over strep throat or bacterial bronchitis, so why Clamydia or Gonorrhea? Sure, there can be complications in rare cases. Pneumonia kills too, right?

Most people don't feel concerned with hand/foot warts, but genital warts ..oh no! Doctors actually consider genital warts as an unavoidable and normal part of human sex.

Herpes are harmless, whether it is a coldsore or otherwise. Genital herpes were not considered a big deal at all until the late 70s when they invented the antivirals and the company that made them launched a massive advertising scare campaign, which was apparently very effective, cos now we view them differently from coldsores.

Untreated Syphilis is definitely scary, but it's hasn't been a big deal since the invention of Penicillin.

HIV, obviously not something you want in your life, but it is exceedingly rare in heterosexuals. A few hundred new cases each year in heterosexual males in Thailand these days. Double that for women. Vast majority found in gay men (a few thousand a year).

For perspective: will you be one of the few hundred straight males to be diagnosed with HIV this year? Or will you be one of the few hundred to die over '7 Deadly Days of Songkran' on the roads this year? And which one plays on your mind more?

And although HIV is serious, we get really anxious about it -- yet most of us never give a second thought to more serious (and more common) things, such as: heart failure, stroke, cancer, organ failure, serious accident, disability, instant death from something, dementia, depression, even complications from diabetes (foot amputations, blindness).

Classic look over there post.

Life is full of risk, the idea is to minimize it while maximizing one's enjoyment.

I've never had an STD, too careful. Just as my traffic accidents have been very few and far between, and minor. I would only have unprotected sex with someone I've known for quite a while.

Let me gently suggest if you think having warts on your play equipment is the same as having one on your hand or foot, you'd have to be a masochist. The tissue is far more sensitive for a reason. Being highly visible, the odds are pretty good the person you are about to have sex with would back off. AFAIK no-one has rejected anyone else because they had hand or foot warts.

You think STD's are no big deal, I do. I daresay most medicos would be on my side.

• Haha 1