If war breaks out in Ukraine, what do you think will be the impact on your expat life in Thailand?

Jingthing

28 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak

·

Reuters reports multiple explosions have been heard in the north of the rebel-held city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1494954249335279617

How ten false flag narratives were promoted by pro-Kremlin media | by @DFRLab | DFRLab | Feb, 2022 | Medium

How ten false flag narratives were promoted by pro-Kremlin media

Russian media actively portrays the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics as victims of Ukrainian aggression

On 2/13/2022 at 12:47 PM, MJCM said:

My Guess

1- Oil and Gas price will rise thus Electricity and Fuel will be more expensive (the FT rate for electricity has already increased)

2- Food prices will rise even further!

So economics mainly as you already said!

And the GBP and other European currencies will weaken due to the threat of any war expanding.

Thailand has zero involvement and very little interest in world politics outside of how it effects them. I would say war would effect them in the way every conflict has effected them throughout history including "world wars" that is to say not at all. Some regional conflict would not even be a blip on the radar .

On 2/12/2022 at 10:11 PM, EVENKEEL said:

In theory a good time to buy, but myself I wouldn't know what to do or what to buy. My money is invested in an IRA, mutual funds, S&P and NYSE, but I don't have a great knowledge except I've made money.

Add some ETF's to the Roth IRA in the energy sector and Natural gas sector, look at XLE and UNG

If...  When they invade  Ukraine they go get closed out of the swift money transfer  system .....so it would impact  Russians expats / tourists to transfer their rubbles to Thailand ....or costing a lot more if needing " sideways " looking for solutions ....

And if the Brits really would like to punish them ..., freeze the oligarch's money in "the City" ...... but that is asked to much i think ????....as money talks big as always in that case.????

But Russia would counter act with oil and gas delivery 's ..... again costing them a foreign on income ...... a spiraling situation to come affecting economy's

On 2/13/2022 at 10:22 PM, tgw said:

well, don't you read cyrillic ?

it means "myi gavarim pa russki"

Thanks for your kind advice, I thought it's something for Taiwanese.????

My question was referring to someone claiming "not so many Russians or Ukrainians visiting Pattaya"... 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:24 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Russian military support for the separatist rebels in the eastern Ukrainian regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.

Has that support been so huge as the support of the West for Ukraine?  And how the Ukraine population is benefitting from this support when millions are wandering out of the country? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, starky said:

Thailand has zero involvement and very little interest in world politics outside of how it effects them. I would say war would effect them in the way every conflict has effected them throughout history including "world wars" that is to say not at all. Some regional conflict would not even be a blip on the radar .

You are forgetting about the great battle celebrated by Victory Monument - when the Empire of Japan and Nazi Germany scored a victory over Vichy France.????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

If you cannot see the difference between supporting the sovereign status of an Independent country, and supporting separatist rebels within that country,

Do you mean the Independent country with the regime of the rebels who 7 years ago stormed democratically elected parliament with a huge support of the foreign powers and forced the democratically elected state president to run away? 

Now, the separatists rebels (not the same as the rebels before) have been oppressed and the territories heavily shelled over 7 year from the govt powers (in breach of Minsk agreements signed by them), what a surprise that they do not want to live together with them...

(calling spade by spade...)

• Haha 1

Well its obvious by now that Putin as opposed to Russia has chosen to go to war.

Keep in mind though that most Russians especially younger ones do not want this war.

So if you happen to meet some random Russians in Thailand please don't jump to any conclusions about their complicity with this horror show.

Also of course many people that are speaking Russian are not Russian.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

No concern, because it is NOT the most significant war in Europe since WWII, whatever that means anyway. To state a matter of fact, not opinion, the situation is just Russia helping out territory that contains majority-Russian population that are currently subjugated by non-Russians. That can only affect Thailand if the west decides to pick a fundamentally misguided war (or a cold war) with Russia out of pure paranoia. Which paranoia the OP seems to be encouraging.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Now that Putin has started this war, here is an interesting and depressing theory on where this will lead globally.

Yes globally including Thailand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/02/21/ukraine-invasion-putin-goals-what-expect/

Let’s assume for a moment that Vladimir Putin succeeds in gaining full control of Ukraine, as he shows every intention of doing. What are the strategic and geopolitical consequences?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Now that Putin has started this war, here is an interesting and depressing theory on where this will lead globally.

Yes globally including Thailand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/02/21/ukraine-invasion-putin-goals-what-expect/

Let’s assume for a moment that Vladimir Putin succeeds in gaining full control of Ukraine, as he shows every intention of doing. What are the strategic and geopolitical consequences?

When did Putin invade. 

Game over man.

CNN
Putin signs decrees recognizing breakaway territories in eastern Ukraine

The Taiger    
Putin sends 'peacekeeping' troops to Ukraine after recognising breakaway provinces

Russian now can declare a Responiblity To Protect (R2P) as they take a page out of the US/NATO playbook.

The effect on Thailand expats?  Nada.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1