Language barrier major challenge for Thais seeking to work in Saudi Arabia, official says

webfact

2 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Agree.  Compare the Thais English skills to the 2.2 million overseas Filipino workers around the world. I know I would much prefer to hire a Filipino or Filipina with good English skills compared to a Thai person with very limited English.

The language skill would be one, the attitude and culture another. I would never hire a Thai abroad, that is just madness. Not even for cooking Thai food, I'd send a foreign chef to TH and learn it.

The best Thai food and restaurants I have been were outside of TH lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Agree.  Compare the Thais English skills to the 2.2 million overseas Filipino workers around the world. I know I would much prefer to hire a Filipino or Filipina with good English skills compared to a Thai person with very limited English.

Thai people are at a huge disadvantage due to their poor education system and their governments lack of serious belief in English language tuition in schools.

Indeed.  The mandate for children to also learn Chinese will dilute that even further.  Other than 'suck up' that will achieve little.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"...an official at the Department of Employment, said on Friday that workers need to pass a language proficiency test of the destination country."

I guess they'll be teaching Arabic in schools then.

I hope they get better results from that than their English.