Foreign ex-pat riding a bicycle dies after being hit by a pickup truck driver in the Pattaya area

webfact

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet the driver has made a statement, and it only indicates that the rider changed his direction, not a speed of the driver that hit him nor how far ahead the bicycle rider was ahead when he changed direction, which my supposition would say was into the lane completely.  31 years as a Traffic investigator lends to my supposition.  I would want to see where the damage on the truck that hit him was located.  Impact damage tells a pretty good story, from looking at the bicycle it was a horrific impact. From the picture it looks to be a direct rear impact that folded the bike up.

From the article

"The driver was later identified as Mr. Samreang Unan, age not given. He told police, “I was in the right lane. There was a truck in the left lane. The bicycle rider changed his own direction suddenly and I was unable to avoid the collision.”

Yet still you assume…amazing

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No it simply sounds like the truck drive is deflecting blame.

Do you really think the pickup driver is going to say “I was speeding & looking at my phone & didn’t see the cyclist”….

Im not suggesting that happened, I am suggesting anything the pickup driver says is an outright lie !!! 

Wow…judge and jury speaks ????????????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cycling in groups has got to be less risk, Pickups more likely to see

I did it once (and will again no doubt) because as a poster said it's so nice and so much to see and I love cycling anyway. But the trucks and cars still cut it extremely close. No road sense at all, no notion of 'wobble room'.

And just look at the state of that bike. 

Edited by BusyB

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I ride every morning starting around 05:00, lights front and back to make sure I can be seen.

Most crossroads at that time are quiet with traffic lights favouring the primary direction flashing amber with flashing red lights for the secondary... I always cross with caution as early morning pick-ups with deliveries to make to the local markets never slow down for them or give-way even if they see me.

That's nuts. I'm sorry to say it, but you don't have long in this world if you continue to do that. You should cease and desist immediately and at least try to ride in the daylight after the morning rush is over. I can't think of a more dangerous activity than riding in Pattaya in the dark at that time of morning. I used to drive in the very early morning from Naklua to Laem Chabang through the backstreets of Banglamung and I can tell you there were plenty of accidents.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Such a shame the state of driving here makes the roads a place that you cant go out and relax and enjoy.

Things have improved a lot over the last decade; still I would never risk myself in traffic here on a moped, and even less on a bike: a car simply will get scratches, while the outcome of the weaker party can easily be as above. This is not the West (for many the reason to come here in the first place) -- so do not behave here as if it were.

RIP for another wholly unnecessary traffic victim.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

More so, pickups for Thais, are simply a practical choice when buying.  Simply more on the road would account for their higher number of involved incidents.

This is very true; at leat were I lived, pickups were the main kind of vehicles, so accordingly they create more accidents.

Also, a fact we all know is, that learning for the Thai driving licence can be a spotty thing, especially in rural placesm and for people who have little money to spend.

I personally know a good number there who simply bought their licence or -- worse! -- actually never had one. Therefore it does not surprise, that many drive their pickup as if it was a small moped: making U-turns where they want and without forwarning, undertake, braking late when heavily loaded, driving against traffic flow on the shoulder or into one way streets, coming into larger streets into the main lane without even looking out for other traffic. I have seen it all -- and all too often.

As a foreigner driving in this country, you should know these risks; often enough we congratulate ourselves that we know so much better... and in this case this "superior knowledge" should translate to simply not utilizing roads in a way that endagers your life unnecessarily.

This might sound like victim blaming, but I see it as a simple safety precaution.

2 hours ago, tomyami said:

Lived in pattaya for 12 years have an aerox it can accelerate out of danger on a no limits driving culture a bicycle cannot, I am a keen cyclist in my home country where it is respected and enforced with cycle lanes and driver education.

RIP for the man, but I would not cycle in pattaya or thailand except in the gym

Obviously more motorcycle deaths around Pattaya vs cycling deaths, cycling and riding a motorbike is actually safer here, non riders won't understand that

7 minutes ago, Inala said:

That's nuts. I'm sorry to say it, but you don't have long in this world if you continue to do that. You should cease and desist immediately and at least try to ride in the daylight after the morning rush is over. I can't think of a more dangerous activity than riding in Pattaya in the dark at that time of morning. I used to drive in the very early morning from Naklua to Laem Chabang through the backstreets of Banglamung and I can tell you there were plenty of accidents.

Neither can I, which is why I don't reside in Pattaya [as indicated on my location avatar]... ????

Having said that, I ride at that time because it is relatively quiet and a lot cooler.
The morning school rush is suicidal, after that the worker masses are on the road, after that the sun is rising blinding everyone, after that it's definitely too hot.

Late afternoon a second suicidal school run, then worker masses returning home... then everyone is more pre-occupied with thoughts of food rather than the road.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Inala said:

Let me guess, you don't ride in Pattaya so have no experience? but yet happy to tell people what to do

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Obviously more motorcycle deaths around Pattaya vs cycling deaths, cycling and riding a motorbike is actually safer here, non riders won't understand that

Perhaps, but you forget one important variable in your comparison. The amount of motorcycle riders vs cyclist. If you factor these numbers in will it still be safer according to the statistics? I have no clue so I won't say I do.

Personally, I always thought riding a motorcycle is safer for the same reason as the guy you quoted. Then again extra speed can kill too. I think on a road with fast moving traffic your safer on a motorcycle. For the reasons given, of course it all depends on how you ride ect. 

Anyway everyone has his or her own risk assessment, you have the experience on a cycle I dont.  

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Perhaps, but you forget one important variable in your comparison. The amount of motorcycle riders vs cyclist. If you factor these numbers in will it still be safer according to the statistics? I have no clue so I won't say I do.

Personally, I always thought riding a motorcycle is safer for the same reason as the guy you quoted. Then again extra speed can kill too. I think on a road with fast moving traffic your safer on a motorcycle. For the reasons given, of course it all depends on how you ride ect. 

Anyway everyone has his or her own risk assessment, you have the experience on a cycle I dont.  

If a motorbike rider is frequently accelerating out of trouble then he needs to review what he's doing wrong. The problem you get when this subject comes up is non riders say how dangerous it is but have zero experience why would anyone listen to them, same with motorbikes

Not sure I am reading this correctly? The driver stated he was in the right line as the truck was in the left lane... isn't this a roundabout way of saying 'I was overtaking the truck and was on the wrong side of the road'!?

At no point in the article does it state that the pickup driver was overtaking on the wrong side so I must have misinterpreted... pretty confusing.... anyone shed some light?

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem you get when this subject comes up is non riders say how dangerous it is but have zero experience why would anyone listen to them, same with motorbikes

So are you trying to say they are wrong and it is not dangerous, or it is dangerous, and they are completely correct? 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So are you trying to say they are wrong and it is not dangerous, or it is dangerous, and they are completely correct? 

It isn't dangerous, there are risks of course which you try to reduce as much as possible. If it was really dangerous no one would do it. From experience most Thai drivers are ok, most take care around cyclists

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Worrying... I know a few guys who cycle around .

Cycling has become more popular and I often see  groups of Thais on bikes out for a ride, well I did on the Railway Line Bypass, until they turned it into a construction and assault course. Even farang families... once saw 2 adults and their very young kids each on bikes coming down Sukhumvit and thinking I would not do that. 

Just too much danger on regular roads.

So sad RIP; from my 35 years of working and living in Thailand I would never....never get on a motorbike here, let alone a pushbike in this country.

Don't know the full details of the how, when and why this deadly incident occurred but; 

The large number of idiots I have seen in pickup trucks over the years speeding and driving dangerously in Thailand is just mind-blowing. 

I would like to see the statistics of how many road incidents (not accidents) pickup trucks are involved in.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I've not seen anything that explains clearly what happened but if the rider was on the right side of the road he was likely using one of many U-turns which is normal on 331 no excuse for pickup killing him

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

From experience most Thai drivers are ok, most take care around cyclists

I cycle regularly and I agree with the above. I find that motorcyclists are my worst enemy as they fail to look right when leaving a side road.

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If a motorbike rider is frequently accelerating out of trouble then he needs to review what he's doing wrong. The problem you get when this subject comes up is non riders say how dangerous it is but have zero experience why would anyone listen to them, same with motorbikes

I am not constantly accelerating out of trouble but its just useful when crossing roads and so on. Though someone in good shape on a bike wont go that much slower when crossing a road. 

Also if you overtake (something you wont do) extra power is nice. But as you said I have no cycling experience in Thailand so not going to say your wrong or I am right as I don't cycle in Thailand. 

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It isn't dangerous, there are risks of course which you try to reduce as much as possible. If it was really dangerous no one would do it. From experience most Thai drivers are ok, most take care around cyclists

Well I do not cycle personally, but do ride a motorcycle a lot. My opinion is it is quite dangerous and, from experience, too many Thai drivers drive without due care and attention. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Such a shame the state of driving here makes the roads a place that you cant go out and relax and enjoy. Theres so much to see and cycling is a fantastic way to do it..

RIP to the person involved..

There are safe places but on the other hand some places are definitely suicidal.

It's not only the traffic there's potholes,stray dogs,wrong way motorcycles.

Too bad, as you say Thailand can be a paridise for cycling, but also a deathtrap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Excel said:

Another killer in a pick-up.

That assessment is a bit premature.  Some cyclists just don't take enough care to protect themselves or ride sensibly . I see many without proper hivis for instance, often dressed in all black lycra, which is just stupid.   I'm not suggesting that is the case here, but we don't know.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I think one is supposed to concentrate when on the roads.

The only thing Thai males in their pick-ups seem to concentrate on is messaging on their phones and when they are not doing that looking in their vanity mirror squeezing their zits or just seeing how far their fingers will go up their nose.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just thinking about this. When I ride a scooter on main roads , which is rarely, I am very conscious that i am travelling slower ( say 80 kph) than the the other vehicle traffic. I keep a very close eye on my mirrors to be aware of who is coming up behind. 

How many cyclists, who will be travelling much slower than me, have rear view mirrors and use them?  

Most of the danger on Thai roads is the amount of vehicles travelling at different speeds. This is not a problem unique to Thailand but is one that has mostly been legislated out on "western" road systems. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

A fairly safe one to make.

yes, and no, i often see foreigners not wearing helmets or any protective clothing when riding motorbikes. I often see foreigners flouting the law on the roads. and i'd be pretty sure some foreigners drink and drive/ride

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Just thinking about this. When I ride a scooter on main roads , which is rarely, I am very conscious that i am travelling slower ( say 80 kph) than the the other vehicle traffic. I keep a very close eye on my mirrors to be aware of who is coming up behind. 

How many cyclists, who will be travelling much slower than me, have rear view mirrors and use them?  

Most of the danger on Thai roads is the amount of vehicles travelling at different speeds. This is not a problem unique to Thailand but is one that has mostly been legislated out on "western" road systems. 

a mirror certainly helps for sure but rider can easily look round when important. Mirrors are much more important on motorbikes as you change lanes frequently

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

for those who are out on the roads every day,[me not any more]had to give up 2018,how many times do you see thai's that have to stand up in the cab cause they cant see over the steering wheel when aproahing a vehicle in front.????

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

yes, and no, i often see foreigners not wearing helmets or any protective clothing when riding motorbikes. I often see foreigners flouting the law on the roads. and i'd be pretty sure some foreigners drink and drive/ride

Not more so than locals you will not. 

Poor sod ... RIP mate. Hope he didn't suffer too much. What a mess the bike is in! ... looks like it's been compressed and run over somewhat. Another proof of why I don't ride in Thailand. Stationary bikes only for me. Just as dangerous in Oz where I come from too. Safest place I have ever ridden bikes was in Europe, Germany and France were the safest. Drivers unbelievably courteous and aware.