Corruption by locals outside Ministry of Foreign Affairs

15 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

The same ones extorting are the transportation experts.   One quoted 400 a sheet.   So if you want to get in cue I took a photo of tge qr code so you can make an appointment  and not need to pay tge extortionists.   I will attach it here for you.  Its about two weeks out.  So go do it now.

20220224_152249.jpg

Can we PIN this QR Code please ?

• Like 1

Could be not following a queueing system that has been put in place for everyones convenience??? Reference to criminal activity seems a bit harsh. Parking in front of someone's premises will often bring a strong response and I suspect this has happened many times before.

41 minutes ago, allanos said:

Clearly the OP has never lived in Africa!

He would be outraged at every turn. Thailand is an absolute pleasure, by comparison.

I myself love Africa and Thailand, for exactly this reason: Everything is possible, if you just understand how to talk.

If I have to chose between jumping any queue for 400 THB in Thailand or wait in an orderly queue for free in a developed country, I don't need to think a second.

Got my Lagos Driving License faster out than the girl, who applied for me and herself -- just based on skin colour. She was so mad and I loved it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, swm59nj said:

You will find dishonest people all over the world. You just have to use common sense.  Don’t just give money to someone that just gives you a story.  Official looking or not. 

The translation people calling themselves,  "agents" are racketeering  and exploiting people.  I tried to get queued but it was a two week list.  The "agent" said they can do in 3 days!  Why and how? Because  everyday they the so called agents book the queues  and sell them along with their service of mailing you you documents.   500 for the queue and what ever they charge to drop off and pick up your documents 1200 maybe.  The only real work they do is the translation.   One should be able to drop off and pick up their own documents  with out being forced to use and extortionists.   The people working in the building know whats happening,  but do nothing to help the people trying to get their documents processed.   They say they dont know what the Thais are doing outside, but they are in the building, and the employees are facilitating  these extortionists. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Do I understand the OP correctly?

There is an official "take a number" style queuing system, which is free of charge.

Some scammers have taken control the queue numbers in order to sell them to genuine customers.

Staff at the MoFA are either unaware of the scam (unlikely) or unconcerned.

Yet some AN members appear support this type of scam, and even criticize the OP for finding it unacceptable.

It's thus petty crime that oils the wheels of society here where people are incredibly poor. I am more than happy with it compared to the violent unbending UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just did a little digging on the Department of Consular Affrays website and found where to make an appointment online. See: https://qlegal.consular.go.th/

Found it here and had to type it in: https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/ขั้นตอนการรับรองเอกสาร?page=5d68c88b15e39c160c008183&menu=5d68c88d15e39c160c00825c

i think its better if you make this links and the info a new post with pin. this is important and your info is really good and its working

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, Thingamabob said:

You must be very new to Thailand, and to Asia in general. In this part of the world many people have to make money to survive any way they can. What you are referring to in your verbose, self-righteous posting is petty corruption. If you can't tolerate it I suggest you should find somewhere else to live.

this

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's thus petty crime that oils the wheels of society here where people are incredibly poor. I am more than happy with it compared to the violent unbending UK.

True!  You have to have a criminal  element for a healthy society!

• Thanks 2

On 2/24/2022 at 5:59 PM, Will B Good said:

What a nightmare......I avoided all that by pure chance......last time I used an agent (another for of rip off I guess) or wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.

Yes, much simpler and cheaper in the long run.

Next time.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

For what it is worth, the OP has at least made us aware of the problem. Most of us do not dare to put our existence here at risk to fight corruption, I am the first to admit that for myself, even though I would like to. But from there to actively support corruption because of your own convenience, or to ridicule the OP for "not standing up" or for his grammar is just preposterous, wrong and uncalled for. They say do not feed the trolls, but sometimes one just have to.

In a society where people are so poor this kind of activity is not corruption it shows hard working initiative. The OP sounds sanctimonious and unsympathetic

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes, much simpler and cheaper in the long run.

Next time.

I dont mind needing or using an agent, but one should have a choice and not be forced or extorted  into using one, just because  the system is set up to allow the locals to take all the queues and sell them to tourist, locals and people that come from other province's. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Meredy said:

i was also there a few times before, it was generally shorter queue than the big office and easier to get there.

the stamp is not free and they don't do translation, they only confirm translations

I believe the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) does not confirm translations, but it verifies and cofirms the authenticity of the translator's signature.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

I dont mind needing or using an agent, but one should have a choice and not be forced or extorted  into using one, just because  the system is set up to allow the locals to take all the queues and sell them to tourist, locals and people that come from other province's. 

The way I understand the system for booking an appointment at the MFA, everybody has an equal right and opportunity to book an appointment, regardless of immigration status, nationality, profession or place of residence.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

The way I understand the system for booking an appointment at the MFA, everybody has an equal right and opportunity to book an appointment, regardless of immigration status, nationality, profession or place of residence.

Ya, corruption is an Equal Opportunity right in Thailand.