Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Potential problem, regarding new NATO admissions:

"If Turkey opposes the admission of Finland and Sweden to NATO, as President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan indicated Friday he would do, his country would deliver a massive win to Russian President Vladimir Putin."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/turkey-poised-to-deliver-a-massive-win-to-putin-on-nato-expansion/ar-AAXf6e7?li=BBnbfcL

wonder what his reasons would be..... his governing posture is very similar to Vlad, my way or no way, if I remember correctly he was listed/called/refer to an autocratic leadership

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Good explainer here just published on why the not so bright Russians phones are being used to track them, geo locate them and listen into to what they are saying:

Russian troops are proving that cell phones in war zones are a very bad idea

When Russian troops cross into Ukraine, their cell phones emit a roaming signal that connects to Ukraine’s cellular network, allowing the Ukrainians to triangulate where the Russians are by using the closest three cell towers, said Artem Starosiek, CEO of Molfar, an open-source intelligence community based in Kyiv.

“So, the Ukrainian special services automatically receive information with the ID number of the device, roaming number, and, of course, the location of the person,” Starosiek told Task & Purpose. “Fortunately, Russians are quite naive and ignorant about using mobile devices, so they often call home, turning on their phones and connecting to the Ukrainian stations.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/analysis/russia-ukraine-cell-phones-track-combat/

I hope the Ukrainians increased the roaming charges ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, tgw said:

his issue is that Sweden and Finland are friendly to PKK.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/leader-turkey-opposes-letting-finland-sweden-join-nato-84691999

so what does that tell us ?

it's probable that Erdogan wants to extract profit from his approval for Sweden and Finland to join NATO.

he's know for that type of deal making/profiting, he did similar with the EU threatening to let immigrants thru

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

"If Turkey opposes the admission of Finland and Sweden to NATO, as President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan indicated Friday he would do, his country would deliver a massive win to Russian President Vladimir Putin."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/turkey-poised-to-deliver-a-massive-win-to-putin-on-nato-expansion/ar-AAXf6e7?li=BBnbfcL

Tyrants together

1 minute ago, tgw said:

I hope the Ukrainians increased the roaming charges ????

it would be better to block all of them or infect the phones with malware/virus

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yes it's looking like that Turkey doesn't want loses ties with Russia.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, rudi49jr said:

I think that ship sailed when they started delivering those Bayraktar drones to Ukraine that are wreaking havoc among the Russian army.

That will be addressed I have no idea but Turkey apparently relies on gas and oil from Russia so I heard today on radio news. 

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That will be addressed I have no idea but Turkey apparently relies on gas and oil from Russia so I heard today on radio news. 

Its being addressed alright, destroying 100's of Russian tanks

Lots of NATO countries still rely on Russian gas an oil, that's not the reason being expressed by Turkey at all. Read up on it if you want and you will find the statement from them.

image.png.c59b9de050a7075bb7d082523076a07c.pngimage.png.f3c82b555f4ddedc7633abc9e18bb3bb.png

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

it would be better to block all of them or infect the phones with malware/virus

nope, I want to keep them online so they can be used for arty targeting.

2 hours ago, tgw said:

his issue is that Sweden and Finland are friendly to PKK.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/leader-turkey-opposes-letting-finland-sweden-join-nato-84691999

so what does that tell us ?

it's probable that Erdogan wants to extract profit from his "reluctant" approval for Sweden and Finland to join NATO.

... well, he's a premium economist [ ... no, not really, 555] but got an Achilles heel:

just send a couple premium goats his way, the sultan can't resist, he'll carve in quickly ...!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jollyhangmon said:

Been told extensively by 2 sets of grand parents - one Hungarian, the other Austrian - that 'you can't trust these russky animals' ... and well, here we go again ...!

Why do you insult animals? They wouldn't do what the Russians Orcs are doing in Ukraine.

• Like 1

The Ukrainian president said: 'Today we can report the 200th downed Russian military airplane. Russia hasn't lost so much aviation in any of the wars in decades

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2022/may/14/volodymyr-zelenskiy-address-ukraine-russia-video?

Defence of Ukraine:

200 russian military planes have permanently landed thanks to the skills of the Ukrainian military. We thank our friends for the Stingers and Starstreaks. Waiting for the Patriots to follow.

image.jpeg.a877f9ef80f716d7a7008f554d78529e.jpeg

• Like 2

There's a common assumption that Russia will never give up trying to conquer Ukraine. That even if Ukraine manages to drive out Russia now, soooner or later Russia will return and eventually conquer. But that assumes that there will be a Russia, as it is presently constituted, to continuing waging war against Ukraine. But what about if Russia falls apart the same way that the Soviet Union did? The same problems plague Russia now that plagued the Soviet Union. Here's a link to the article that supports this thesis:

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/3483799-prepare-for-the-disappearance-of-russia/

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure once this war is wrapped up, Ukraine will receive adequate military guarantees, probably a NATO membership. Ukraine's military will be the #1 fighting force in Europe, fielding a million of young, combat-experienced veterans.
They will probably receive Western equipment such as F-16 jets and Leopard, Leclerc or Abrahms, as well as Archer, Caesar, PzH2000, Donar and Koalitzya, which would work well with Ukraines's distributed targeting and fire control system "GIS Art for Artillery" that defeats current counter-battery radars. and has 30 seconds call to fire delay.

So Russia coming back to attack to Ukraine again? I don't think so.

• Like 2

Also, I've noticed that virtually everyone, including the Ukrainian military, is predicting a long hard slog to oust the Russians from Ukraine. I suspect they're doing that out of an abundance of caution. But given the low morale of the Russian troops, and the fact that Ukraine is just beginning to incorporate artillery (and other weaponry) that is far superior to what the Russians have, I suspect that the collapse of the Russian occupation of Ukrainian territory will happen soon and suddenly. Unless the Russians go nuclear.

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

My comments were about how Russia could fall apart.. That doesn't work against the common assumption that Russia will try again and again to invade Ukraine? Really? The whole point of my comment was that the common assumption could be massively wrong. But by editing my post you make it look as though I was subscribing to that common assumption. Whereas clearly and explicitly I was making exactly the opposite point.

I'm not sure if it's worth arguing about it - I read your post as : "common conception" but maybe Russia will fall apart anyway. Meaning : if Russia doesn't fall apart, the "common conception" might be realized.

My point : Russia falling apart or not, there is zero chance that it will attack Ukraine again once Russia has been booted from Ukraine.

The common assumption *could* not be massively wrong, it definitely is massively wrong, regardless of whether Russia breaks up or not.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Also, I've noticed that virtually everyone, including the Ukrainian military, is predicting a long hard slog to oust the Russians from Ukraine. I suspect they're doing that out of an abundance of caution. But given the low morale of the Russian troops, and the fact that Ukraine is just beginning to incorporate artillery (and other weaponry) that is far superior to what the Russians have, I suspect that the collapse of the Russian occupation of Ukrainian territory will happen soon and suddenly. Unless the Russians go nuclear.

My take is the west will continue to supply arms to Ukraine to use them alone to keep repelling Russia.

The west then along with contination of sanctions think that will weaken Russia and wear them down and they don't care how long it takes.

The US would like this and the EU don't give a flig otherwise they wouldn't still be receiving coal, oil and gas from Russia.

As always the west is a bunch of hypocrites and I think many Ukraians think so to but can't do much about it or say to much.

There's much more to come yet I reckon and much going on behind the scenes.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1