Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

My sources are dated weeks before and after Russia's invasion, and Economist news magazine is one of the world's most respected sources by those who wish to stay informed about global news.  These sources describe the situation at the time of the invasion.  You know, the time pertinent to this discussion.

I supported my claim with sources.  As predicted, you didn't.

And your goalposts are as shifty as ever.

This started with your idea that Biden united NATO, then that he warned everybody, finally finishing with a testament to the Economist. Your "weeks before" invasion were mostly about 1-2 - not much of a warning - and by which time any intelligence Biden had would have been shared with NATO and probably leaked out to Ukraine as well. Zelensky would have had more inside track info than anyone and must have known enough to prepare for the worst as best he could, whatever he said. Most of us were hoping that this would not happen as was he, I'm sure. 

• Sad 1

Posted February 24, 2022

Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital as Putin launches all-out invasion from north, south and east, with cruise missiles hitting airports and military bases, tanks rolling in and scores killed.

That's a bit dated. 

5 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

You just said the war would have been over if the West hadn’t stuck their nose in. Which would have meant the obliteration of Ukraine. 

Taday a massive air and land attack has  been launched by Russia, with Russian military helicopters already controlling the air space over Kiev. I am beginning to think the West's intervention has made this conflict far worse than it would otherwise have been. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Your link shows Trump was played. It also shows Trump was in charge, he should have withdrawn from the deal. 

It shows the Taliban did not honour the agreement. I agree that Trump should have withdrawn from the deal but after Trump did not, then Biden should have suspended the agreement and overseen an orderly withdrawal. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Yeah, why didn't Trump do something about that?  You know, renegotiate or back out of his peace deal?

Did you notice your source is dated March 2, 2020, when Trump still had almost a year left in office?

June. They were trying to rescue the deal but obviously wasting their time.

• Love It 1

35 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

You just said the war would have been over if the West hadn’t stuck their nose in. Which would have meant the obliteration of Ukraine. 

My point was we shouldn't help them, it has nothing to do with us, well Thailand. UK, nearer but they're is no alliance with them. 

Russia and Ukraine are much the same people and should fight their own wars and not being others into it. Mind you, Biden stirred it up and. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So first he was played, then he didn't withdraw (he couldn't of course because that would hurt his ego) but you still want to blame Biden.

I think both Trump and Biden wanted out of Afghanistan, which is understandable. It seems that they both wanted the job completed at dates to suit their own political preferences. I do think Trump should have got out of (or suspended) the deal, as I said (above) once it was clear that the deal was not being honoured but I also think thqt Biden must shoulder some responsibility.  

Edited by nauseus
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

33 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

But even if that were so: should we have just let the Russians do what they wanted and looked the other way from the start?

Do you mean like we did when China invaded Tibet? 

Ah, no oil there. 

What Russia have done is less serious than what Bush and Blair did in Iraq. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I think both Trump and Biden wanted out of Afghanistan, which is understandable. It seems that they both wanted the job completed at dates to suit their own political preferences. I do think Trump should have got out of (or suspended) the deal, as I said (above) once it was clear that the deal was not being honoured but I also think thqt Biden must shoulder some responsibility.  

Thanks, that's a much more balanced view than you postulated earlier.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Semantics. Do you really want to go there? Fact is, many Russians believe Ukraine doesn’t have the right to exist, and even that all Ukrainians should be killed. Call it what you will, but if Russia were in charge there now (which would have been perfectly okay with you, judging by your posts), Ukrainians would be hunted down, put in concentration camps, or worse. 

I doubt it, who told you that? Why would Russians want Ukrainians killed? I work with Russians and Ukrainians and in the last year, they have been very nice to each other, blaming just the Russian leader. 

• Haha 1