Expired passport, will take a few months to get a new one what do I do..

My passport will expire in a few days and the process to get a new one will take a few month due to some issues with my hole country and the lack of an embassy or consulate in Thailand. What options do I have to remain legal. I’m currently studying under ED visa at a Thai university.

If your visa/permit/extension is valid you remain legal.  If expiry occurs before you obtain a new document you need to contact your country's representative to help with a temporary document. Don't think Immigration will understand if you become illegal.

Not all nations have a representative in all other countries. You need to contact your Embassy responsible for the region.  (Try where you applied for the new passport?)

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

One question that may become relevant, and for which I do not know the answer:

If your permission to stay expires on the same date as your passport, and you apply for a further extension (which is denied because of the expired passport) can you still get the regular seven days to leave the country, and be considered legal if you leave during that time?

Your permission of stay also will expire at the same date as your passport... always has been as this. Next time you wait to take action till all is expired.... now you have a few days ..... And that goed to the "univercity"..... 

• Like 2

I am not an expert. but I believe most Ed Visa with a University is usually good for the entire year. Unless your passport expires before the year is up, then the Ed Visa expires the same day. Which means both you and the University knew that you couldn't finish the year of schooling. The University here in Chiang Mai will not even issue you a Ed Visa if you don't have enough time on your passport to complete the entire school year. If your country doesn't have an Embassy or Consulate here in Thailand, you just need to google where your countries  embassy that covers Thailand is located. Then contact that embassy ASAP (by phone) and inform them of your problem. They should be able to help you out. Good luck.

Let me guess.... South African passport? A friend of mine renewed his SA passport and it took months to get the new passport. The SA Home Office in Pretoria is notoriously slothlike.

Now you do not have so many options. You had a good one before. That was to handle your papers in time. You have the advice Ubon joe gave earlier. Other options is go home or overstay and finally try to learn something at the university before they catch you and deport you. ???? 

11 hours ago, mvdf said:

Let me guess.... South African passport? A friend of mine renewed his SA passport and it took months to get the new passport. The SA Home Office in Pretoria is notoriously slothlike.

South Africans have a lovely embassy here

Sarf Effrikans have a lovely embassy here in Banckok

http://www.dirco.gov.za/bangkok/

I’m not South African, I’m from venezuela, I have already applied for a passport extension but according to the embassy it can can’t up to 3 months to get it since they don’t have any embassy here in Thailand, I been here for over a year and though that the process of renewing my passport was gonna be quicker ( I started the process 3 months ago).  The embassy told me they can issues a document that explains the situation and confirm the passport renewal is in process but that’s it, my passport is being extended so I keep the exact number. I feel the embassy is not being helpful so I just wanna know if someone had to deal with a similar situation and can give some tips 

19 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I have not heard of them giving a Visa over the expiry date of a passport......

Nor I.

I should have read the OP more closely about his passport expiring in a few days. I made an assumption it would still be valid for a while longer. My bad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel Carrero said:

I’m not South African, I’m from venezuela, I have already applied for a passport extension but according to the embassy it can can’t up to 3 months to get it since they don’t have any embassy here in Thailand, I been here for over a year and though that the process of renewing my passport was gonna be quicker ( I started the process 3 months ago).  The embassy told me they can issues a document that explains the situation and confirm the passport renewal is in process but that’s it, my passport is being extended so I keep the exact number. I feel the embassy is not being helpful so I just wanna know if someone had to deal with a similar situation and can give some tips 

Do you have your passport or did you have to send it to the embassy to be extended?

The letter might help but it would be better if they could issue a emergency passport to use until the extension of your current one is done.

26 minutes ago, Daniel Carrero said:

I’m not South African, I’m from venezuela

Have you contacted the Venezuelan Embassy in Singapore, explaining the situation and asking for advice? If so, what was their answer?

Owing to the difficulty of travel with less than six months validity left on your passport, you could be in a difficult position. It may be complicated even trying to get an emergency travel document. 

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Have you contacted the Venezuelan Embassy in Singapore, explaining the situation and asking for advice? If so, what was their answer?

Owing to the difficulty of travel with less than six months validity left on your passport, you could be in a difficult position. It may be complicated even trying to get an emergency travel document. 

We have an embassy in Malaysia that’s is in charge of Thailand, the explained that the travel document won’t help because it’s also issued and printed in venezuela and that will also take time, all they have offered so far is that document saying that there’s a process ongoing and blah blah I actually don’t know it will help me. I’m getting a visa stamp that extends my passport for another five years, I’m not getting a new passport. Exiting with less than six month is kinda difficult right now. Also the money involved.

By all means continue looking for ways to stay legally in Thailand.

However, do the necessary planning on how you can return to Venezuela, A passport with only a few days validity will not stop you leaving Thailand. However, many countries will not allow you to transit without a passport with six months validity. Further, take into account restrictions due to Covid.

I strongly urge you not to risk staying illegally in Thailand. You could well end up in the Immigration Detention Centre until you can regularise your paperwork and arrange your deportation. That is a horrible fate that might well end up with you receiving a five-year blacklisting from returning to Thailand.

I sympathise with your situation, but you may well be faced with only the unpalatable option of leaving Thailand.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:04 PM, kingstonkid said:

If you are Ukrainian apply for refugee status.  If not look up you embassies on line and see which one looks after Thailand.  There may not be a consulate here but there is an embassy responsible for Thailand

Refugee status and Thailand, dreaming lol. Push the boat back and shoot is the policy here isn't it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1