New bank law forbid foreigners to open Foereign Currency account in LOS

Which branch of Krungsri did you try? maybe you need to try a different branch or another bank.

The info for opening a Foreign Currency Deposit is on the Krungsri website:

Types of Account :

Type of FCD Account and Customer Purpose of Deposit Source of fund FCD – ATM Card
Foreign Currency Deposit for Foreigner
  • Foreign Individual (Non – Thai Resident)
Savings/capital fund of Foreign Deposit Funds from abroad/Foreign Banknotes /THB Currency Available
  • Foreign Juristic Person (Non – Thai Resident)
Not Available
Foreign Currency Deposit for Thai
  • Thai Resident
Savings/capital fund of International Businesses Funds from abroad/Foreign Banknotes /THB Currency Available
  • Juristic Person (Thai  Resident)
Not Available
Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

I opened a Krungsri account a few months ago. I had a non-o extension. No work permit.

For some strange reason they wanted my foreign drivers license...? I showed my Thai license but they said "cannot". I actually had to go home and get my home country DL and then everything was ok ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MajorTom said:

I actually had to go home and get my home country DL and then everything was ok

Does your home country license show an address? Guess not though.

I was surprised some years ago being asked about my home country address which I don't have.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Does your home country license show an address? Guess not though.

I was surprised some years ago being asked about my home country address which I don't have.

No. But they did ask for a foreign address. I don't have one either, so had to make one up. No proof was required for this.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 3:04 PM, Sheryl said:

Absolutely not true.

But there are limits on which banks are allowed to receive large transfers from abroad.

Do you mean limits only on foreign currency accounts (USD) or even regular bank accounts nominated in baht, also? 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you have a Russian passport? ???? 

I heard banks are reluctant to accept rubles now... ????

Then again, I'd be surprised if they had heard of the Ukrainian hryvnia. 

(They'd probably walk 3 steps back, suggesting you go to the hospital, if you mentioned you had 1 million hryvnia...)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 9:33 AM, Whale said:

I thought FC accounts (i.e. USD) were always a problem and not normally allowed. 

Not allowed by who and problem to who?

I have had $ and £ FCDs in the past but don't need anymore.

16 hours ago, topt said:

Not allowed by who and problem to who?

I asked my bank they said, if you have PR its OK, but if not fit in any of the groups below then the answer is no ...

• Individuals who are of Thai nationality
  • Individuals who are of foreign nationality and permitted to undertake permanent residency in Thailand
  • Juristic persons registered in Thailand
  • Branches or representative offices of juristic persons that are located in Thailand and have headquarters registered abroad.
  • Thai government agencies, organizations and state enterprises. 
  • Civil servants/employees of Thai government agencies or organizations working abroad. 
  • Juristic persons established under specific Thai laws.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:29 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Not heard of it, most likely ignorant staff at Krungsri, they've told me duff info before also.

Go to Bangkok Bank

Yep, they told me foreigners didn't get interest! 

• Haha 1

Bangkok Bank offers USD term accounts. Up to a year at fixed interest rate. 1% fee to open 1%fee to withdraw. Can be used to satisfy immigration requirements for 800k. Interest is paid but has gone down in recent years. Not really a profitable investment,but alternative to transferring into Thai baht and currency rates. Some smaller branches may not have large dollar amounts on hand when withdrawing. 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, PoorSucker said:

Opened KrungSri bank account three months ago and Bangkok bank account last week. 

Have BOI work permit 

Laws keep on changing all the time in Thailand.

Anyway, those people with work permit always have easier time to open bank account than retirees.

Last time, i tried to open up a bank account with SCB on retirement extension, the SCB manager only accept foreigners with work permit.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, STALINGRAD said:

Bangkok Bank offers USD term accounts. Up to a year at fixed interest rate. 1% fee to open 1%fee to withdraw. Can be used to satisfy immigration requirements for 800k. Interest is paid but has gone down in recent years. Not really a profitable investment,but alternative to transferring into Thai baht and currency rates. Some smaller branches may not have large dollar amounts on hand when withdrawing. 

But I heard you have to pay hefty fees every time you withdraw or deposit into USD account, is this true?

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

But I heard you have to pay hefty fees every time you withdraw or deposit into USD account, is this true?

Yes and no.....

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/FCD-Account-for-Non-residents

Can I deposit and withdraw money from my FCD account in a foreign currency?

Yes, however, a fee will apply in depositing and withdrawing with foreign banknotes as follows:   

• 1 % of depositing or withdrawal money for USD (minimum at 500 baht)
  • 2%  of depositing or withdrawal money for another currency (minimum at 500 baht)

See the link for all the details you should need. If you want to transfer into your baht account in the same bank no extra fees.