Russian and Ukrainian tourists in Thailand beginning to face financial transaction and travel problems due to sanctions, invasion

webfact

3 hours ago, chang1 said:

Not much sympathy for the Russians but certainly the Ukrainians should be helped. 

I'm glad there are no Russians where I live as I would get in trouble for telling them what I think of their leader. 

Somewhat over simplistic. It’s hardly like Russia is a democracy and citizens are all behind their leader (think of Thailand in that respect too). The fallout for ordinary Russians of this action is proving very hard (as evidenced here) so do you think they are cheering Putin on ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Ukraine was not a military threat to Russia.

Yes, but NATO is!

•  
  • ...and there lies the rub,if Ukraine was a member of NATO none of this would have happened
Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chang1 said:

Not much sympathy for the Russians but certainly the Ukrainians should be helped. 

I'm glad there are no Russians where I live as I would get in trouble for telling them what I think of their leader. 

They would probably agree with you.

5 hours ago, JackGats said:

There was much Russian to be heard around Beach Road in Pattaya as recently as on week ago. The impression was that the Russians could well have been the major tourist community.

So you can tell the difference between Russian and the Ukraine language ? incidentally Russian is spoken by many Ukrainians. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe you could supply the forum with pictures of these good hearted Russians holding up their Ukraine flags and end the war placards in any demonstrations for us all to see ? 

My pleasure.......

From the Phuket News

https://www.thephuketnews.com/ukrainians-russians-in-phuket-call-out-for-peace-83273.php

1646047303_1-org.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

As a Thai, I hope they send ALL Russian home immediately. I hope we ban ALL Russian flights, like the US has done. 

We have to send a message to the Russian people. 

Not just the US, all Russian flights have been banned from EU and UK airspace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Like to see how the economics of supporting yourself indefinitely without any income would work out on that one

Could ask the Rohingya refugees they have forced back out to sea for a comment .

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, OmegaRacer said:

You may not be aware that there have been protests in Russia (St. Petersburg) and thousands have been arrested.

I have a good Russian friend who lives in Moscow and who has a large part of his family in Ukraine. He told me it's not possible to protest against the government as you would be arrested immediately or worse. People are scared.

Interesting. Are the soldiers held at gunpoint to join the army?

This is a war and drastic measures ensue. I urge all hotel owners and other business owners to ban Russians. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

That's fine. That's what the 'ignore function' is there for. They let you tailor your view of this forum and squelch out the noise.

I'm sure that proclaiming "putting me on your ignore list" had you thinking that had some emotional traumatic effect upon me.  That is a child's expectation. If you're going to 'ignore' someone, just do it. Don't announce it. Rather than disturb the 'ingoree' with an inane and petulant insult that they're going to get 'ignored', it instead reflects poorly on the childish mindset of the 'ignorer'.

Who are you writing to to/for?  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JackGats said:

There was much Russian to be heard around Beach Road in Pattaya as recently as on week ago. The impression was that the Russians could well have been the major tourist community.

I've noticed the same in the Wongamat area where there seems to be many more Russian (or possibly one of the Former USSR countries) people about, mainly young families.

4-5 familes have moved into my condo block (2 on my floor alone) so it seems they're planning to stay for at least a month, can't say I blame them given everything that's happening "Back Home" but can only imagine the financial hassles they're going to face if they can't use their credit cards / ATMs.