3,200 Russian tourists stuck in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao area due to Russia/Ukraine conflict and sanctions

webfact

Don't worry all these lost souls will get home or find a home in places like the US or Europe. It's much easier for them to do that than to get some sort of residency in LOS. They say many Russians are on the move out of Russia too. They can't stand it anymore. They remind me of the young Thais who don't want to live under Thailand's corrupted system. The world is on the move.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Pravda said:

As someone who went through one of the worst civil wars in Europe I find your comment disgusting. No one in Russia under 50 wants this war. A lot of Russians have family in Ukraine. The same thing happened in Yugoslavia, but back then there was no internet, so people could be judged by no brain westerners by taking sides. At least these days you have the supposed uncensored internet at your disposal. See what the average person thinks about Putin. Russian citizens have a lot more bravery than you sitting in Thailand. If you think it's easy to overthrow the government, try it yourself.

Nobody? Plenty of images coming out of Russia to say thats not the case. Even this example from a Russian athlete in Qatar

Gymnastics 2022: Russian facing ban for disgusting podium act

Ukraine war: Why has 'Z' become a Russian pro-war symbol?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60644832

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I know it is wrong and I do feel guilty......but I am finding it extremely hard to feel any great level of sympathy for these people.

It has nothing to do with 'these people'. It has everything to do with the dictator who rules them. Having said that, there would be many among them who see Vladimir Putrid as a hero after reading the government-sponsored 'news' in their country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Having them lolling around on Thai beaches sipping on a vodka  on ice, while their leaders and military kill and maim innocents elsewhere is a bitter pill to swallow. Send them back to complain about having their holidays being curtailed!

Stranded in Mariupol whilst the Russians have artillery strikes against the escape corridors/ hospitals, or stranded on the beach on Samui.......I know which i would pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The  behaviour toward the refugees is no different to that directed at family members of UK nationals, but nobody wants to mention that.

Just done my wife's 10th UK visa application, 15 page questionaire, over 20 documents, around £100 fee and biometrics every application.

When I was an EU citizen, family member visa application was 2 pages, 2 documents required, no fee and biometrics every 5 years.

There it is in black and white, the UK is institutionally racist and time those campaigning on behalf of the refugees realise that is what they are up against.

Given up taking the wife back.

Applied for a five year visitor's visa (after visiting on a one year visa every year for about 10 years).......they took my money, non-refundable, and refused her visa.......the letter said we don't not need to tell you why we have refused, just that we feel it is better not to issue you with one at the moment.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

What absolute rubbish.

Emirates are running a normal schedule to Moscow, any Russian can easily get home.  As for Ukraine, that’s a different matter.

I’m appalled by the tourism industry here, especially the 5* hotels run by Western General Managers. Zero statements supporting Ukraine and condemning Russia.  Organisation’s like SKAL are conspicuous by their failure to even mention the genocide and war crimes going on in Ukraine. As long as the Russians have money, they are welcome everywhere here.

Except my businesses in Chiang Rai, we’ve taken a stand and banned Russian citizens.

what a complete lack of morals we are seeing in the Hotel Industry, appalling!

Are there many Russians in CR?? 

Thought they only went to beach areas

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Look on the bright side, at least here they can enjoy Pizza hut McDonald and Pepsi and all the other stuff that are now banned in Russia  by the western conglomerates...

And that is the precise reason they have become ' stuck " here in Thailand.

I am sure that their fellow Countrymen will be able to supply these people with Funds that they have managed to secure through the Chinese System of payment known as  " Unionpay " during their " Enforced " stay in Thailand.

For sure, the Ruskynostra will be making some Money. Not Rubbish Ruble but Gold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryane66 said:

We could not get into USA for a repatriation flight. We hadthat long of a wait from Mexico.

But you could have returned to Thailand, right?

My point is a lot of people 'claimed' to be stuck but in reality were not.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, FalangKino said:

Exactly. Were Americans treated or discriminated against for any of the many wars and disgusting crimes their government is responsible for at any point over the last 50 years?

in greece american tourists were sewing on canadian maple leaf badges trying to diguise themselves so not to get stones and such thrown at them

• Like 1

The Russians can fly back to Russia via Kazakhstan on Air Astana, which flies from Bangkok, or even via another sympathetic Stan. They would likely need to stump up for a new ticket, which is problematic if they can't access money. I would have thought that their embassy would take management of the flight situation. It seems to me that if the hotel industry tries to hold them in country until their hospitality bills are resolved then their individual debts will just become magnified day by day, as the sanctions won't be lifted anytime soon.

At least, they have access to the internet and can read what exactly is going on without the "manipulated news" by the russian media.

I see kids on the picture. Don't they have to be at school? Probably this are the ones, living here.

I have the solution.

Better planning was crucial:

Full on the way out and half full on the way back.

Load all those Russians on a Thai airways plane, unload them in Ruskilandia and fly to Ukraine to pick up the massage girls.

The Ukrainian tourists should be made welcome here.

Problem solved.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I have the solution.

Better planning was crucial:

Full on the way out and half full on the way back.

Load all those Russians on a Thai airways plane, unload them in Ruskilandia and fly to Ukraine to pick up the massage girls.

The Ukrainian tourists should be made welcome here.

Problem solved.

Why should Thailand spend more money on dropping them of in Russia first? If a plane goes to Ukraine to pick up Thais, then any Russians stuck in Thailand can be dropped of in Ukraine!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Look on the bright side, at least here they can enjoy Pizza hut McDonald and Pepsi and all the other stuff that are now banned in Russia  by the western conglomerates...

Except the ruble has tanked, so they can barely afford a small fries now. ????

• Haha 1