Thailand to donate 2 million Thai baht for humanitarian aid in Ukraine

webfact

As a middle income wealthy country, I would be embarrassed, if I was thew Prime minister, to announce such a paltry amount in humanitarian aid.

Less of an insult not to bother.

There are private individuals with modest amounts of money donating far more, let alone a Kingdom of 70 million people donating this paltry amount..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I know it is said that every little helps, but I am somewhat dismayed that in this case the "little" truly is seriously little, especially for an entire nation.

Embarrassing even!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The 2 million baht (about 60,000 USD) will be given to the Thai embassy in Poland to provide aid through relevant emergency organizations to those in need.

Every little helps, and boy is that little.

• Haha 1

Just now, fusion58 said:

Couch cushion change, to be sure, but give credit where due: It’s a miracle they’ve even heard of Ukraine, let alone have any awareness of the situation there.

They should have. Most of the "Russian" tourists I have met here are actually Ukranian's living in Russia

Only 2 million baht, but ok all helps.

In "my" country we had  a fund raise on tv and brought up 106 million euro. (incredible)

Meaning people gave over 15 euro/household. Of course even more as not all gave money.  

There were even people driving up to Poland and pick up refugees !

No one ever did for Syrians or other refugees. It is amazing.

Understatement, im flabbergasted.

I wonder again how many millions will get lost.

Incredible, as in Yemen there are people having it way more bad then Ukrainian people.

A long lasting war, costing many their lives and kids are dying of not having food, water or healthcare.

For that matter, you see the same in Afghanistan, 20 years of building up country and gone in a jiffy.

I agree with Biden. They had 300000 people trainend in military and police and instantly surrendered to Taliban.

And now all is a mess.

Or Haïti, they said they would help building up after the quakes, but .....?

And i think to myself : what a wonderful world, o yeah

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Well done MoFA, a kind gesture. I can't believe some are complaining it isn't enough. 

I only hope it gets to the people, Ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, even more than Thailand. 

According to 2021 Corruption Percrptipns Index, Ukraine is not one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

Albeit it's corruption score is about the same for about 49 other countries out of a total 180 countties in the Index such as most of the former USSR countries ( incl. Russia), most of South & Central America and a smattering of African countries. But there are 42 countries with even lower scores (higher corruption) than Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

As far as 2 million THB not seen as being enough, expats on a non O-A retirement vise extension must transfer to Thailand a minimum of 780k THB annually using the income method, not uncommon for some to transfer much more beyond 1 million THB. 

So yes, 2 million THB is a pittance for Thailand, especially coming from a supposedly democratic nation that spends billions of baht for hi-tec military weapons against "shadow enemies" while maintaining a bloated military command. 

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

2 MILLION THB?!? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Surely this is a typo! If not, then the absolute most embarrassingly stingy gesture ever. 2 million THB would be generous if, say, I was donating it. But for a Country...a Kingdom...it's a freakin' JOKE. An insult more accurately and better off not bothering. :post-4641-1156693976:

Exactly 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Every little helps, and boy is that little.

Most of us have 4000,000 to 800,000 sitting in a bank getting little or nothing for it. So if the government would give us  a break on the visa requirements we could add some to the pot? IE I have 800,000 in the bank so if they would reduce the amount needed for the visa  to 700,000 I would donate 100,000.

Edited by vandeventer

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Did you read where I said ''ordinary Russians''?

Or even where I noted what happens to those who do show dissent?

Or possibly take heed that the post I quoted was, quite rightly, saying ordinary Ukrainians cannot be blamed for the actions of Ukraine's own elite?

Hopefully you meant the actions of the Ukrainians elected leaders 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, itsari said:

How much money has Thailand sent in aid to there neighbouring country Myanmar that has been taken over by democratically elected goverment .

Thought it was the military who took over the democratically elected govt. in Myanmar. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Cheap Charlies.  I've donated $20 K Baht to  3 refugee families just this past week.  Zero government/agencies involved, fortunately.

Two of these families are Ukrainian and just arrived in Poland.  Local people are helping with necessities, transportation, temporary lodging in their homes and even finding rent-free apartments for them.  ????

• Like 1