Volunteers for Ukraine ?

CharlieH

The people volunteering to pick up arms in the Ukraine to help ?

Are these people adrenaline junkies playing a live version of "Call of Duty".

Will these people actually complicate matters if caught or killed by Russians ?

Could this be a ploy and a method to actually introduce some skilled elite group by another nation covertly under the guise of volunteers.

What are your thoughts on these volunteers, if you were a younger man, would you go ?

Just curious as to others opinions on this developement/strategy .

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

What are your thoughts on these volunteers, if you were a younger man, would you go ?

I don't volunteer to do anything.

I would expect the people in power to take the sensible approach to the situation there country is in and save life at all cost.  

Some people like to kill other people (or at least they think they would like it). In war zones they can do exactly that and normally they don't go to jail.

I wouldn't do it.

But if someone want so kill those barbarian invaders I won't complain.

Many of the same soldiers who have travelled the world from conflict to conflict and former soldiers who served in Afghanistan and Irak among other places.

Quite a few pieces out now on different media channels about some of the soldiers, even the famous Canadian sniper have arrived in Ukraina now.. Mostly Canadian, Americans, Swedish, Norwegians and Danish I have seen so far. Seems to be well trained soldiers with experience.

In other conflicts we have seen far right wing so-called extremists trying to get involved without experience to get the experience, some succeeded, most of them was picked out before they got as far to the front.

Have a friend who protected pipelines in conflict areas after he served in the Norwegian army for years. Adrenalin junkie who will not fit in a normal A4 lifestyle. Working offshore now on his elderly days. Do not talk much about his service, and what he really did.

https://special-ops.org/top-9-private-military-companies-in-the-world/

Edited by Hummin

2 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

It could severely complicate matters if foreign "soldiers" are captured by the Russians.
It would give Putin the "ammunition" ???? needed to say NATO was getting involved which could escalate mattes greatly.

British soldiers have received very stern warnings by the MOD and army bosses against sneaking off to get involved, for this very reason.

I think the ones going for the right reasons are very brave. If Russia gets away with Ukraine, who knows where they'll stop while continuing to use their threat of nukes. You can keep saying it's not your problem until it eventually is. Plus you get citizenship after and I'm sure are treated very well by a grateful population when they win.

2 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

It could severely complicate matters if foreign "soldiers" are captured by the Russians.
It would give Putin the "ammunition" ???? needed to say NATO was getting involved which could escalate mattes greatly.

Not really.

Its like the foreign volunteers to fight Franco.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

No I wouldnt. Not my business. Would they fight for my country? Nope.

For once I agree with you. IMO other than adrenaline junkies war is only a good idea for those that were never in one.

BTW, getting shot isn't like in most movies. The most realistic movie demonstration I ever saw was in "The Thin Red Line" where a young soldier is gut shot and screams till someone takes him enough morphine for him to kill himself.

IMO for most soldiers war is long spells of boredom interspersed with terror. I was never in action myself, but I served with men that had been.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No it isn't. Technology has made war much less survivable that it was in the 1930s ( for the losing side ).

That wasn't my point. 

Foreign volunteers fir wars doing it for ideals as opposed to money is not unprecedented. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

I think the ones going for the right reasons are very brave. If Russia gets away with Ukraine, who knows where they'll stop while continuing to use their threat of nukes. You can keep saying it's not your problem until it eventually is. Plus you get citizenship after and I'm sure are treated very well by a grateful population when they win.

You actually think Ukraine can win?

You actually think a few foreigners can make a difference? They didn't in Spain and they were on the side of right. What makes this war different?

BTW, after it's over, if you live you'll likely go home, and if you should stay you'll just be some foreigner, unless you have it tattooed on your forehead.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That wasn't my point. 

Foreign volunteers fir wars doing it for ideals as opposed to money is not unprecedented. 

Fair enough, but in this case ideals are more likely to get one dead or injured than such as the Spanish adventure.

BTW, any thinking of doing so should check their life insurance policy to see what it says about being a mercenary.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough, but in this case ideals are more likely to get one dead or injured than such as the Spanish adventure.

BTW, any thinking of doing so should check their life insurance policy to see what it says about being a mercenary.

We'll see.

According to this about one third of the American volunteers died. Not sure about other foreigner nationalities.

Spanish Civil War Summary | The Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives (alba-valb.org)

Volunteering to fight in a war is obviously not a tea party. 

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

British soldiers have received very stern warnings by the MOD and army bosses against sneaking off to get involved, for this very reason.

True but that did not stop a few going AWOL and are there now. Plenty of British troops on the ground, even a current conservative M.P.s son. Lots of images and videos on this. There is an individual sub reddit where lots of volunteers can ask questions with different teams looking for different skills not just fighters but trauma surgeons and medics.

• Thanks 1