Billionaire former top cop's son in Porsche severely injures foreigner on motorcycle in Bangkok smash

webfact

6 hours ago, mbenson said:
22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Airbags only deploy if the frontal impact is high enough. Heavy car hitting light motorcycle obviously didn't generate sufficient 'G' force.

6 hours ago, mbenson said:

From the looks of the windshield, I'd say the impact of the guy's body generated some Gs.

I agree with you, but that was not a 'frontal impact'. The sensing takes place in the crumple zone at the front of the car. When the front begins to crumple, with sufficient 'G' force the airbags are triggered. A glance at the picture on page 1 shows there is next to no damage at the front of the car.

I suspect that the car only gave the motorcycle a glancing blow causing the rider to be flung off and into the windscreen. Another possible reason why the airbag didn't deploy was because the driver wasn't wearing his seatbelt.

Some high end cars disable the airbag in such circumstances to prevent the airbag from switching from a lifesaver into a high speed killer when it impacts the drivers chest, who is himself being flung forward.

Death by airbag deployment is not unknown. Google: 'can airbags kill you'.

3 hours ago, daejung said:

How can a general be that rich if not through corruption ?

#36 Wirachai Songmetta

$940M 2021 THAILAND'S 50 RICHEST NET WORTH as of 7/6/21

Former top cop Wirachai Songmetta gets his wealth from SET-listed Absolute Clean Energy, a renewable energy producer.

Absolute Clean Energy operates 19 biomass power projects with a combined capacity of 246 megawatts.

Wirachai had interests in distributing hardboard and wood chips before he set up the business in 2008. He took it public in 2019.

Wirachai graduated from the Police Academy, completed his Ph.D., and climbed the ranks to deputy commissioner; he stepped down in September 2020.

His ex-wife is executive chairman of the company while two of his three sons have board seats.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/wirachai-songmetta/?sh=505f9af08b9d

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:17 PM, KhunLA said:

There's an endorsement to buy, all that money, ฿12m for a POS, and the airbag didn't deploy. 

If they took this mechanical failure argument to court, Porsche could in turn sue them for defamation if they examine the wreck and find the things in contention were not at fault.  But TiT and I'm sure someone in the company understands how things work out here, and it would just be a hole in their pocket with the $$$ cascading out of it for years. 

How does a police chief become one of the richest men in the country?  Must have something to do with being morally upright and clean living.  :cheesy:

Just now, bendejo said:

If they took this mechanical failure argument to court, Porsche could in turn sue them for defamation if they examine the wreck and find the things in contention were not at fault.  But TiT and I'm sure someone in the company understands how things work out here, and it would just be a hole in their pocket with the $$$ cascading out of it for years. 

How does a police chief become one of the richest men in the country?  Must have something to do with being morally upright and clean living.  :cheesy:

Or perhaps clean energy company, which has been stated on several occasions in several posts, if one reads the threads 

You could put the seatbelt behind you to avoid the annoying alarm that increases in intensity.

I have a Taycan too and it pesters you to death if any of the occupants fail to wear a seat belt, additionally, one of the 5 digital instruments goes red and displays a warning message instead of 4 or 5 driver selectable options like HV battery charge, HV battery temperature, LV battery voltage, compass, track playing on the stereo etc.

It’s impossible to ignore the warnings. Looking at the damage, the 2.1 ton Taycan probably didn’t decelerate enough when it hit the motorbike to trigger the airbags. Shortly followed by the motorcyclist hitting the windscreen.

My money is on the driver wearing his seatbelt and suffering only minor scratches (if any) from the accident.

The Taycan is a very heavy car and probably weighs at least 20 times more than the motorcycle and the bike would have been catapulted forwards with the car driver not feeling much deceleration, the shock being the rider hitting the windscreen which probably entered the drivers space and that would likely be the scrapes he got, if any, maybe flying glass chips from the drivers side of the laminated windscreen.

23 hours ago, placeholder said:

I've done a search on Porsche Taycans and I can't find any model that's a hybrid. Can you share a link?

The Taycan hybrid is the cheapest of the range !

The Taycan Turbo S costs $ 187,000

Price: The 2022 Porsche Taycan starts at $82,700, and the top Turbo S model starts at $185,000. The Porsche Taycan is the first-ever all-electric Porsche model. It's positioned squarely against the Tesla Model S as a premium EV sedan with the performance of a sports car.

4 minutes ago, rovinman said:

The Taycan hybrid is the cheapest of the range !

The Taycan Turbo S costs $ 187,000

Price: The 2022 Porsche Taycan starts at $82,700, and the top Turbo S model starts at $185,000. The Porsche Taycan is the first-ever all-electric Porsche model. It's positioned squarely against the Tesla Model S as a premium EV sedan with the performance of a sports car.

Yeah nah its full electric, not a hybrid.

Placeholder is correct in calling me out because I posted Hybrid instead of EV.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

#36 Wirachai Songmetta

$940M 2021 THAILAND'S 50 RICHEST NET WORTH as of 7/6/21

Former top cop Wirachai Songmetta gets his wealth from SET-listed Absolute Clean Energy, a renewable energy producer.

Absolute Clean Energy operates 19 biomass power projects with a combined capacity of 246 megawatts.

Wirachai had interests in distributing hardboard and wood chips before he set up the business in 2008. He took it public in 2019.

Wirachai graduated from the Police Academy, completed his Ph.D., and climbed the ranks to deputy commissioner; he stepped down in September 2020.

His ex-wife is executive chairman of the company while two of his three sons have board seats.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/wirachai-songmetta/?sh=505f9af08b9d

I think you are being somewhat disingenuous or perhaps missing the point that most people are wanting to know how someone can start such a business on such a low Policeman's salary?

It would be difficult enough to open and run a successful small-scale Thai food restaurant business on such a salary, for example.

Much like Thaksin, being a failed businessman and a potless bankrupt to getting the concession for his mobile phone business. He also was a Police Lt. Col. don't forget. That also made him a billionaire within a fairly short period of time. But it was the questionable nature of that conscession that ultimately led to his success. 

It's the way things work here.

I doubt he's a business genius in renewables in the sense of starting his own company in his shed a la Apple or Microsoft.

You don't start a successful business like that here. I would even go so far as to say it's not possible. You do need good business acumen for the environment you operate in though, that is an absolute certainty. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

13 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think you are being somewhat disingenuous or perhaps missing the point that most people are wanting to know how someone can start such a business on such a low Policeman's salary?

It would be difficult enough to open and run a successful small-scale Thai food restaurant business on such a salary, for example.

Much like Thaksin, being a failed businessman and a potless bankrupt to getting the concession for his mobile phone business. He also was a Police Lt. Col. don't forget. That also made him a billionaire within a fairly short period of time. But it was the questionable nature of that conscession that ultimately led to his success. 

It's the way things work here.

I doubt he's a business genius in renewables in the sense of starting his own company in his shed a la Apple or Microsoft.

You don't start a successful business like that here. I would even go so far as to say it's not possible. You do need good business acumen for the environment you operate in though, that is an absolute certainty. 

He has a doctorate, so he is not a fool, and perhaps he had the right connections, which helped along the way

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, theshu25 said:

So now that the <deleted> has died,will the driver be up on manslaughter or murder charges.

Why would they even consider murder? It was not a deliberate act that he set out to kill him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Setting up and running a large successful renewable energy business most likely contributed to his wealth.

Without any corroborative information most people seem to be blaming the car driver.  At least as likely that the bigbike rider  was at fault.

lets wait and see if any evidence turns up from the cameras.

Edited by agudbuk
spelyn eror

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah nah its full electric, not a hybrid.

Placeholder is correct in calling me out because I posted Hybrid instead of EV.

You realize that you're violating a sacred forum rule by confessing to error? Be careful or you might get reported to the mods.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You realize that you're violating a sacred forum rule by confessing to error? Be careful or you might get reported to the mods.

Ive no issue to manning up to an error I made.

shame more on the forum/in life lack the balls to do the same.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, mancub said:

3rd world mentality. 

Hounded because he fled to escape justice, not through fear of an "unfair trial" as afforded the Burmese on Koh Tao.

He's the victim here....of his own stupidity.

He is not only a victim, but a coward. I have a friend who went to the Koh Samui prison on multiple locations to see the Burmese guys, and became friends with them. He said they were the sweetest guys you could ever meet, you could just look into eyes and see they were completely innocent, they told him on multiple occasions that they were nowhere near the place that it actually happened and that the nearly everyone on the island knew that it was the Nomad, the son of the head man of Sairee beach who is a serial killer, but his father was so wealthy from ill-gotten wealth from illegal property sales. Dark Tao is a very dangerous place.

There is no secret here. And the solution to this problem is relatively simple, but will never, ever happen. Arrest the serial killer. Many know who the guilty family is. But, the problem is they are above the law. Any and all laws, including the army. This administration was created, to protect the elite, the wealthy, the connected, and those in power, despite proclamations to the contrary. So, the headman's son could not be arrested, even though the police, and many others knew who was guilty. Those poor Burmese chaps were framed, so this worm could roam free. And what does he do? He continues with his hobby of killing foreign women. If his father, the headman, had the slightest bit of intelligence, or control over his wayward son, he would ask him to behave himself, or at the very least to ply his trade elsewhere. Instead, he stays at home, and continues to inflict terror on Dark Tao. This family is fabulously wealthy, due to decades of illegal land sales. Therefore, they are untouchable. Even when it comes to murder, and mayhem. Totally above the law.

So, as he was completely above any and all laws, they had to frame someone.

Edited by spidermike007

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

You could put the seatbelt behind you to avoid the annoying alarm that increases in intensity.

That is irresponsibly BAD advice to give to anybody. Driving a modern car that has airbags without wearing seatbelts is potentially very dangerous in the event of a frontal collision.

As the unrestrained driver flies forward, the airbag explodes out of the steering wheel with the force of a 12 bore shotgun. It can cause severe chest trauma which can be fatal.

Wise up. ALWAYS fasten your seatbelt.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, Moonlover said:

Airbags only deploy if the frontal impact is high enough. Heavy car hitting light motorcycle obviously didn't generate sufficient 'G' force.

Look at the pic.

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Knocking on 100 people killed on scooters the past 2 days, and we got 8 pages of bashing rich people, corruption, and intense accident investigation from 2 photos ... ????

It takes some effort to kill that many people in such a short period of time.

Can you imagine our countries at war these days and those sorts of casualty figures coming through? There would be a national outcry and people out on the streets daily.