Russian Tourists Struggle to Leave Thailand Amid Russia-Ukraine Crisis

snoop1130

Honestly, those who travel tend to understand other cultures and peoples more than those who don’t.

This tends to be true for Americans, Russians, British and pretty much all societies. 

I assume the Russians here like it and I don’t think they feel animosity to others. I don’t feel animosity towards them. If Russia doesn’t remember them at this trying time, I hope they will soon and meantime the Thai government will feel some pity for them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

Good idea! But they have more pride then those western uninsured Fund Me jumpers, Even Cadaver owners are making (mis)use of it. 

So Russians are a proud people? I would not be proud to be Russian . They are Pariah.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

...English Language Forum.

Correct - my mistake, my apologies, but I don't think many Russians will (a) know about the Forum, (b) write English well enough to make a sensible post, and (c) have the time or the inclination to "participate" in the discussion - I think their priority is to get home!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe they'd need to pay airport fees and fuel charges in USD? The planes could be confiscated by the leasing companies the moment they land outside Russia.

I am sure there are many reasons they would not wish to risk that. Although they could have some Russian built planes that aren't on lease... but do they have the range and seating capacity to evacuate so many tourists quickly? And even if they do, is Thailand even allowed to do business with them without getting sanctioned themselves? Tricky situation for all involved.

The Russian airlines cannot use the EU/UK and possibly US/Canada airspace, but I am not 100% sure.

1 minute ago, Isaan sailor said:

Interesting perspective.  We’re not all here for the prostitutes, though.  We have great relationships with the locals.  No time for bargirls.

Actually I could care less who's here for what. It irritates me to high heavens how so many are accusing Russians to be indifferent while they live among one of the most complicit and ignorant people on the planet while prostrating and forgiving crimes and murders to people in power. 

The hypocrisy of epic proportions.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

It irritates me to high heavens how so many are accusing Russians to be indifferent while they live among one of the most complicit and ignorant people on the planet while prostrating and forgiving crimes and murders to people in power. 

Expats?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

Who pays for the keep? There are plenty Thai people who deserve free meals & housing. If a country like Russia cannot evacuate a few thousand ppl how do they want to win a war?

You are indeed correct when you say there are Thai people who deserve free meals and housing. Why aren't they getting it? It isn't like the state couldn't afford it AND provide temporary assistance to stranded Russians and Ukrainians.

The only conclusion I can draw is lack of political will.

Russia airlifting her nationals out is a bit tricky, given leasing companies wanting to seize their aircraft and Bermuda deregistering Russian planes' airworthiness certificates. 

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

and Bermuda deregistering Russian planes' airworthiness certificates. 

....and Ireland apparently.....but Putin has issued a new law that somehow gets around this by allowing all foreign registered planes to re-register in Russia...or something like that....beyond my pay grade.

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

Correct - my mistake, my apologies, but I don't think many Russians will (a) know about the Forum, (b) write English well enough to make a sensible post, and (c) have the time or the inclination to "participate" in the discussion - I think their priority is to get home!

Good points.....in my experience their priority has been to get p!ssed....

Edited by hotandsticky

2 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I am more than sure the majority of Russian tourists won't forget who put them in this predicament 

Same the ones that live here retired or have a business and now can't access their funds ???? 

I would like to think you are correct....but in the UK we have old pit villages and ex-mining communities voting Tory.......so let's wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Isn’t it amazing that just a few humans can screw up the world for the vast majority of people. Always has been and will continue until we destroy ourselves or find a way to find better rulers.

Have to say Zelenskyy is a true leader. Too bad we don’t have more smart, humble, responsible people in power ????????????

Zelensky thinks about his interests and those of his people, which yes, makes him a good leader, leaving aside how he has governed his country before the war. He has also managed to convince, or trap, many Western leaders. But his insistent appeals to a Western intervention or to the no-fly zone, that is to the mathematical certainty of the third world war, puts him at the limit of irresponsibility.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thousands of Russian tourists in Thailand are reportedly struggling to find a way home,

And at the same time Thousands of Russians is struggling to leave Russia.

Seams like many is fleeing to Finland.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/people-leaving-russia-ukraine-war

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60697763

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/8/we-are-refugees-russians-flee-rising-authoritarianism

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Interesting perspective.  We’re not all here for the prostitutes, though.  We have great relationships with the locals.  No time for bargirls.

Bargirls are human beings, some good some bad. As you have obviously had no contact with any, I just wanted to clarify that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Really surprised you have all been brain washed  Russia is a large country of which about 60% in Asia. There is no closure of airspace back to Russia however many of the Russians in Thailand are part of Putin's elite who may not want to return to Russia for fear of what may happen to them meanwhile there are many Russians in Samui and Phuket who have invested heavily in property who can easily accomodate the relatively small number of Russias who allege they cannot return home.

Aeroflot and S7 Airlines have cancelled all international flights from 8 March.
Which rock are you living under?

• Like 2