Say goodbye to Big Carl as Carl’s Jr leaves Thailand by the end of March

webfact

20 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Noticed that American pancake chain IHOP in mega bangna is also gone.

Ya, I was going to mention them as well, but held off because they're pancakes instead of burgers... But both caught in the same lack of western tourists/lack of expats downturn during COVID, along with the prior restrictions on dine-in service.

First they closed their TWO outlets in Siam Paragon, and some others I think. But last I heard (obviously out of date now) they still were operating at MEGA Bangna and supposedly had some delivery service-only kitchens somewhere in BKK. They are/were another Thai franchisee operation of an American chain -- in the case of IHOP TH, run by a very wealthy Thai family that has an affinity for U.S. foodservice ventures.

Screenshot_1.jpg.c753bcc629b86edb62c538d21ad42e8c.jpg

One of the few, maybe the only, place(s) I know/knew of in Bangkok or even Thailand to get authentic American-style hash brown potatoes... (as opposed to the frozen, preformed potato triangles sold in the farang grocery stores).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, nightfox said:

I hope they don't replace Carl Jr's with Jollibee's as at least the burgers at Carl's are decent. 

I'd be happy with a Jollibee in Bangkok, as long as they offer a decent halo halo.  Alas, I imagine they would offer a rather crappy one.

BTW, odd that no one here thus far in five pages of posts has mentioned the Daniel Thaiger burgers operation in Bangkok, which I think at the outset helped lead to something of a hamburgers renaissance among local Thais, who madly posted their hamburger eating experiences and photos to their favorite social media back in the day...

28 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

If they only had 5 Guys ... ???? ...  Or how about In and Out Burger ....

One thing that Thailand has never had, AFAIK, is a good version of the quintessential chili burger...

Anyone from the Southern California region who grew up on the famous Tommy's chili burgers and their de rigueur pickled chili pepper accompaniments doesn't know just how good a burger can be!!!  Ohhh... not to mention their chili fries made with the same chili... To die for!!!

https://originaltommys.com/

Screenshot_2.jpg.cfd73af978f8c584124fc4f34835b787.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg.78a67555032928f01b8a774e16631a8b.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg.714118688002392d2a65d43b5539d08a.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Went to CarlJr's 2 days ago here in the US, 1st time and last time. There are better burgers.

3 places I will not go....

McD's is fast and cheap

Burger King is not any better

Jack in the Box is just ahead of these 3......jus sayin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Ever tried Thai food? Or is that not "quality" enough for you? Just curious...

I don´t enjoy eating food cooked using palm oil and has a bunch of sugar in it. I love tom yum kung, but I eat it almost every day.

I had a carlos jr today in central, a lot of the items were already out of stock, but the standard burger was alright. Nothing I will miss.

Edited by EdrigoSalvadore

3 hours ago, rvaviator said:

If they only had 5 Guys ... ???? ...  Or how about In and Out Burger ....

probably the worst overpriced burger ever, avoid at all cost

Carl Jr was a good alternative, next BK and MacD in Thailand are actually quite nice compared to other places

3 hours ago, RT555 said:

Went to CarlJr's 2 days ago here in the US, 1st time and last time. There are better burgers.

3 places I will not go....

McD's is fast and cheap

Burger King is not any better

Jack in the Box is just ahead of these 3......jus sayin

indeed, if only they had Wendys here in Thailand

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I had a carlos jr today in central, a lot of the items were already out of stock,

No sign that they're having a going out of business sale???  ????

You know, like, "Get 'em while they're hot!"  Or, in Carl's case, "while they're lukewarm..."

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My wife eats the som tum in the family... And I eat the burgers.... Though being from Sakon Nakhon, every time I order beef burgers, she wants some of those too!  ????

Mine won't touch beef..... 

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One thing that Thailand has never had, AFAIK, is a good version of the quintessential chili burger...

Anyone from the Southern California region who grew up on the famous Tommy's chili burgers and their de rigueur pickled chili pepper accompaniments doesn't know just how good a burger can be!!!  Ohhh... not to mention their chili fries made with the same chili... To die for!!!

https://originaltommys.com/

Screenshot_2.jpg.cfd73af978f8c584124fc4f34835b787.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg.78a67555032928f01b8a774e16631a8b.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg.714118688002392d2a65d43b5539d08a.jpg

I grew up several blocks away from Tommy's (the original), as kids we would ride our bikes and enjoy.  That place was busy 24/7.

• Like 1

I mostly eat in restaurants when in Thailand. I have had ice cream at DQs and McDonalds

in Hua Hin and other places.  KFC chicken was okay at Blue Port in Hua Hin, though.

I am hoping to enjoy the hot Winter weather this coming Winter, or for sure the next Winter.

38 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

7/11, Amazon, Svensen and a host of other places seem to have no problem finding them on low salaries. 

Ask any small business owner what their number one headache is and they will say finding good employees (at any wage).