What to do with my money in times of great recession

what would you do with your money now in uk, in times of recession,    google states banks cover individuals up to £80.000   each,  FCA protected.  i dont believe that.      What if the banks go bust look what happened in 2007/8 apparently in the UK we were really going to end up like Greece and not allowed to withdraw money from  ATMs.

gold has shut up in the last month ,.   Would it be advisable to buy.   

What would you do  ????????????????

3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women ......... 

With the laws changing, didn't you get the memo that says ....Weed, Whisky & Wild Wild Women?

The 5 W's. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

no chance , thailand is finished for me.  had enough of the governments stupid rules ????

Colombia will be the place I hope all going well ????

If you don’t mind I’m curious as to how many years you’ve been in Thailand and what location you’re choosing in Colombia. I’ve thought about living there but not that seriously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Silver bars and coins. They will appreciate far more than gold, if things collapse to the extent I think they will. Don't know about the timing of it, but I see real estate collapsing by 50-70% worldwide, and the Dow dropping to 5,500. 

People are talking about a recession. A depression closer to 1929 might be more like it. This balloon has been pushed too far. 

I agree silver and even gold will probably fare well if things get really ugly. 

I have my doubts it will get all that bad but a good possibility it will.  I have no idea where to put my money because nations have basically eliminated safe investments such as saving accounts and bonds that traditionally have held up reasonably well.  Cash is worrisome (inflation) but stocks and real estate is frightening at these valuations. 

A couple weeks ago I sold cash secured puts on the S&P 500 at a 370 strike price 30 days out.  Only nets around 5% return( cover living costs ).  If the shiiit hits the fan, I "might" avoid all the pain or most of it.  My goal is to outpace inflation but at 5%; not even doing that.  There are not  any semi safe investment choices out there at the moment.

My advice: Don't panic - stick your head in the sand and hope disaster doesn't hit.  There is very good possibility that the road ahead will be bumpy and disaster will be avoided.  Governments have not left us ordinary citizens much choice but to hope for the best.

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine has been investing in ammunition. Mostly low to medium caliber bullets. He said the prices have risen dramatically, and it is now considered a strong commodity. Amazing.

Not so easy here. Nor would it be anywhere near worldwide market value. 

• Like 1

Ultimately, cash, such as a the US dollar is the safest investment.......(the Rouble could be a good gamble).

Safe means a loss in value, but not as big a loss as you could be exposed to with other forms of investment.

Edited by Will B Good

I will offer living proof to the op regarding the UK banking guarantee scheme.  The FSCS presently guarantee up to £85,000 per account per institution. In 2007/2008 the guarantee limit was 100% of the first £2000 and thereafter 90% of the next £30,000.

I had £50k in ICE bank and the UK government paid me the full £50k , and additionally the £50k was in a 1 year bond paying 7% which again the UK government refunded me in full.

I would strongly suggest your money is safe. If not then I hear there are some mysterious digital 'assets' you can buy on the internet. I'm pretty certain the UK government or any government will fund the inevitable collapse of those.

Surely the only sensible investment is your own property. It not matters whether the roof over your head is worth $1 or $1,000,000, it still functions.... as long as she lets you live there that is....