What to do with my money in times of great recession

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane. incidentally on the label of that song  it is spelt Whuskey i also believe the B side was called Black Bottomed Girls, by "The Unnatural Seven"  . I inherited it from my  step grandfather. just saying.

1578588617_download(39).jpg.30cd25eb02e3439e88cabc71a940c1d9.jpg

The correct title actually reads "Cigareets, Whuskey, and Wild, Wild Women", by Red Ingle. Of poor sound quality but yeah, dating back to 1948, here we go with the original: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Silver bars and coins. They will appreciate far more than gold, if things collapse to the extent I think they will. Don't know about the timing of it, but I see real estate collapsing by 50-70% worldwide, and the Dow dropping to 5,500. 

People are talking about a recession. A depression closer to 1929 might be more like it. This balloon has been pushed too far. 

I am conflicted, as I am holding about 30% of my assets in silver and gold. Paper profit of about 10%.

OTOH, I can remember my parents and grandparents talking about the Great Depression.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A friend of mine has been investing in ammunition. Mostly low to medium caliber bullets. He said the prices have risen dramatically, and it is now considered a strong commodity. Amazing.

Not so easy here. Nor would it be anywhere near worldwide market value. 

Bullets as a commodity 555.  And if he wants to cash out…dark web?  

1 hour ago, TimBKK said:

Bullets as a commodity 555.  And if he wants to cash out…dark web?  

Very, very liquid from what I hear. High demand. Less supply. Just put out the word and they come running to buy. 

I am referring to the US, where ammunition is not regulated like plutonium. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wombat said:

Buy Gold...traditionally its the only thing that's kept pace with inflation 

Add to that shares in the minerals and the materials space, last 5 months with these 3 stocks has made me what I usually make in 12 months, happy days ????

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

and the Dow dropping to 5,500. 

Never bet against America. - Warren Buffett. I religiously followed the advice and handsomely rewarded even during the 2008 crisis I did not pull my investment from US market and it was painful and scary initially. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 2

I recommend several different strategies to spread the risk.

1. Some in assets with inherent value - gold, silver.

2. Some in land or property.  The value of buying a house or apartment is that it can protect the capital and earn rental revenue.

3. Some in crypto - but not too much as longer term risk is unknown.

4. Some in shares of arms manufacturers - it's a dead cert growth area.  There should be a new 'non-ethical' investment portfolio covering armament, gas, oil and nuclear industries.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, spidermike007 said:

Silver bars and coins. They will appreciate far more than gold, if things collapse to the extent I think they will. Don't know about the timing of it, but I see real estate collapsing by 50-70% worldwide, and the Dow dropping to 5,500. 

People are talking about a recession. A depression closer to 1929 might be more like it. This balloon has been pushed too far. 

Did you randomly select some numbers and the order of them when writing 5,500? JC of Bangkok or even Thailand.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Msci world.

I thought you would know what ETFs are. Sorry. My mistake.

Exchange Traded Funds. Can be bought in almost anything. 

MSCI World is the top tech companies. 

15 hours ago, Dante99 said:

87, 2000 and 2007 the Dow drop was very much less than you are forecasting.  To suggest these years support your view is very misleading if not absurd.

Correct. The fundamentals were very different, we were not experiencing hyper inflation, rocketing real estate prices, and near record low interest rates at the same time. What goes up must come down. The stock market and the real estate markets correct from time to time. This time it will be massive. 

On 3/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, spidermike007 said:

I have some silver bracelets/necklace but I can't seem to be able to sell it in Thailand. Why is that so if silver is more saleable than gold?

Edited by EricTh

Just now, EricTh said:

I have some silver bracelets/necklace but I can't seem to be able to sell it in Thailand. Why is that so?

The market for silver here seems to be very narrow. I hear there are dealers in Chinatown in Bangkok? Likely for the jewelry trade. But, not sure if you will get market value. At this time, there is a significant premium over market value in the US, for silver bars and many coins, the demand for silver is that high. 

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I have some silver bracelets/necklace but I can't seem to be able to sell it in Thailand. Why is that so if silver is more saleable than gold?

Horses for courses I guess.....Thai culture is gold, gold, gold.

Uk population will continue to grow. Uk citizens will never give up their dream to own. Buy a property in a growing city that has limited roads into the city. (Makes commuting in annoying and therefore helps sustain inner city prices) such as Exeter. Rent out will get a 3% to 4% net yield now. There maybe a correction ahead but if Exeter house prices aren't performing better than average compared to other asset classes in ten years id be surprised.