Moving to Philippines

4 hours ago, nickmondo said:

enjoy the awful food, rubbish internet, brown outs, expensive rubbish accomodation.

i assume you have been there before?

Rubbish Accommodations really? You have never truly lived or visited the Phils then have you.  Plenty of great AirBnb's as well as Hotels you can stay in long term.  Houses are also available and many of the condo's in Manila as well as Cebu or excellent.  Food is not the best, but then there are certain places you can buy your food from that are good.  Shopping at S&R will allow you to buy all of the western style or such you can want and cook at home.  Never experienced brown outs there like I have here in Thailand in a few of the villages I lived in.  Internet can be spotty just the same as Thailand.

Overall, just stay safe and out of dark locations if by yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Easy........... 

I've never been outside the UK, why would I have a passport? 

Does any part of the DWP have the authority to ask you to see your passport? I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But I decided there was a risk involved that I didn't want to take, especially as it would also have included my sister knowingly being involved by receiving any relevant documents being sent to her address.

No documents 'relevant or not' were ever sent to my UK address after my claim.

I had an email acknowledging my online claim the moment I completed it.

Then an email from the HMRC telling me my tax code was reduced.

The next event was the money appearing in my bank account.

Edited by BritManToo

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's not what he said in the OP.

I'll bet you thought you were permanent in Thailand as well. My point is the only permanent home we have is where our passport was issued. 

I'm from the US and just because I spend yrs at a time here in Thailand, I still consider the US my home.

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'll bet you thought you were permanent in Thailand as well. My point is the only permanent home we have is where our passport was issued. 

I'm from the US and just because I spend yrs at a time here in Thailand, I still consider the US my home.

Believe it or not, it's not all about you or all about the OP. It's all about what the relevant govt laws are.

But do you think that a US citizen living and earning abroad should claim to be a US resident and refuse the big tax break that goes to those who can legitimately claim expat status?

19 hours ago, Card said:

He wants to inform the HMRC of his future non UK residence. Why should he hide it unless he wants to commit illegal acts? Claiming to be a UK resident for financial gain such as enhanced pension, free NHS treatment etc is illegal fraud and if the UK govt finds out it will chase you until the day you die. That's why. People in UK complain about foreigners going to the UK to get NHS treatment then leaving the country without paying for it. Well that's the same as British citizens who are non residents if they make a trip to the UK and claim they are residents for NHS treatment.

I suppose the big difference is he paid into the system and not just turned up on a dinghy

19 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I heard of one guy here who was sending  peoples details to the Pension service who were claiming full pensions whilst living full time here. Apparently you can send details anonymousl.. Not sure what happened.

No one likes a Grass

41 minutes ago, Scott Savage said:

I suppose the big difference is he paid into the system and not just turned up on a dinghy

The people who "turned up in a dingy" are doing everything within the law and not breaking any laws , Brits who live in Thailand and tell the gov that they are living in the UK are committing fraud and will get prosecuted if they find out

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The people who "turned up in a dingy" are doing everything within the law and not breaking any laws , Brits who live in Thailand and tell the gov that they are living in the UK are committing fraud and will get prosecuted if they find out

Do you know of anyone who has suffered this fate?

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't no, but then again , I wouldn't hear about anyone who got caught, unless it was in the news 

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5802/cmselect/cmpubacc/633/report.html

A highly revealing document. The C&AG is the government auditor:

"The C&AG qualified the 2020–21 accounts for fraud and error in all benefits except State Pension, because State Pension has low fraud and error. Excluding State Pension benefits, the Department estimates that it overpaid benefits of £8.3 billion equivalent to 7.5% and underpaid benefits of £2.2 billion equivalent to 2% across the £111.4 billion expenditure for all the other benefits, representing the highest levels of benefit fraud and error ever recorded since records began in 2005. The Department often refers to the level of fraud and error across all benefits including State Pension as 3.9%."

The level of benefit fraud is quite mind boggling, but it mainly arises from universal credit. £8.3 billion in over payments, £2.3 billion in underpayments! Seems the DWP is a completely broken department. Any allegedly fraudulent claim for state pension arising from non-notification of a change in circumstance, eg moving abroad - would be treated as a crime of omission, not commission. Rather like sins of omission and sins of commission. The likelihood of the DWP chasing some pensioner living abroad for alleged overpayment of a few quid a week... Well, YMMV, but it's not to say it isn't fraud not to inform the DWP. Just make sure you're in a country that has an agreement for pension increases if you do let them know.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was non resident in NZ which meant I had a reduced rate of withholding tax there. Why would I pay full tax if not living there?

It remained my home country, but not my home.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Just make sure you're in a country that has an agreement for pension increases if you do let them know.

But then you let yourself in for the 'proof of life' problems.

Easier to just say you live in the UK, then get the increases, no proof of life forms, no documents required and no long processing delays on claiming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Believe it or not, it's not all about you or all about the OP. It's all about what the relevant govt laws are.

But do you think that a US citizen living and earning abroad should claim to be a US resident and refuse the big tax break that goes to those who can legitimately claim expat status?

But, you seem to throw in your 2 cents worth. Time to start your own thread.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Easier to just say you live in the UK, then get the increases, no proof of life forms, no documents required and no long processing delays on claiming.

Exactly, why complicate matters. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I maintain an address in the UK for delivery of documents from UK banks, UK government agencies/departments etc. I don't think there's anything illegal in that. I don't use it as my home address. 

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

But, you seem to throw in your 2 cents worth. Time to start your own thread.

Actually, given that the forums on thaivisa.com are all about members throwing in their 2 cents worth, I'd say it's about time for you to start your own website with your own very special self-protective rules.

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, given that the forums on thaivisa.com are all about members throwing in their 2 cents worth, I'd say it's about time for you to start your own website with your own very special self-protective rules.

What's thaivisa?

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, BritManToo said:

I've never had a problem committing illegal acts.

Once I drove my car at 35mph in a 30mph zone.

I also frequently smoked cannabis.

Except there is no everlasting digital trail for those offences

On 3/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, Tall Midget said:

I think foreigners who show up for treatment without paying, and someone who has contributed all their lives with NI payments and income tax should be 2 different kettles of fish. Wouldn't you feel some sort of entitlement after working all your life?

Both fraud. No distinction in the courts.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:46 AM, bradiston said:

I don't think the UK government could chase its own tail. All these scare mongering stories don't hold up. There are various entitlements overseas residents/ex pats have when it comes to services such as NHS. 

Examples for those expats living in Thailand?

On 3/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, Denim said:

Except that with that the former , they may never have made National Insurance contributions ,

whereas many of the latter may have paid NI all their working lives and yet once they are out of the country for a year are entitled to nothing. Hardly fair unless a refund of those contributions is claimable.

Wouldn't hold up in any court